Favorite Era of Floyd Music?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Favorite Era of Floyd Music?

Post by quicksilver »

This is difficult to answer because I really enjoy all of their music. But If I were forced to choose I would go with the period of 1969-1972. This covers the period from "More" through "OBC". After Syd left, Roger had to be the creative force to keep the band going and after Dave joined the music really flourished. They experimented with a lot of musical styles durng this time and they were really clicking as a band with all 4 members contributing. I was considering stretching this period to '73 to include DSOTM but I decided that it was really a culmination of there previous works and it deserved it's own category. I'm interested in hearing everyone's opinion. Here are the categories:

'67-'68 Piper & SoS (I know Dave was on this but Syd was on a few songs)

'69-'72 More-OBC

'73-'75 DSOTM-WYWH"

'77-'83 Animals-TFC

'87-? AMLOR-TDB
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

'77-'83
summer68
Axe
Axe

Post by summer68 »

'69 - '72, very underrated floyd era
sound_chaser
Axe
Axe

Post by sound_chaser »

Hi Quicksilver. I'd go along with your assessment of the eras of Pink Floyd. And like you, my absolute favourite period covers from Saucerful through to Obscured By Clouds. I think the band were at their most interesting when they were a bunch of friends and equals exploring the possibilities around them. Above all the crap that's written about Pink Floyd and the enigma that surrounds them still, Pink Floyd were essentially as John Lennon descibed The Beatles; A great little band!
pinktim
Axe
Axe

In Bewteen Periods

Post by pinktim »

I woudl have to say that the period covered by Meddle through Wish You Were Here is my favorite. I have always wondered what happened between Meddle and Dark Side of the Moon.

But, I also like the earliest times, those being the first album and that time when the band was playing the clubs in London as another great time. That music fit the time, but, even today it is very relevant and sounds great.
sound_chaser
Axe
Axe

Post by sound_chaser »

Pink Tim: I've got a friend who saw Pink Floyd many times at legendary London venues such as the UFO. He has some great memories of those days.
pinktim
Axe
Axe

Sightings

Post by pinktim »

Colin Turner over at pinkfloyds.com was in London in the late 60's and saw the band at the UFO club. I have talked to him a couple of times about this.

I saw them in several times in the 70's. Then later on 1994.

At the time, late 1960's, I wanted to go to London to be part of that scene. But, alas that was not to be. Hasn't happened yet. Someday.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Sightings

pinktim wrote:
At the time, late 1960's, I wanted to go to London to be part of that scene. But, alas that was not to be.
I thought you said once on another board that you saw them at the UFO...
sound_chaser
Axe
Axe

Post by sound_chaser »

Still up to your old tricks Real Pink? If that previous board was the one I joined for a short while and left because of all the petty, bitter, meaningless in-fighting (Real Pink v The Watcher springs to mind), then I hope that kind of thing doesn't happen here. I like to talk about Pink Floyd, but I don't want to be picked up on every little mistake I may happen to make. What's the point? We're only human at the end of the day!
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

As far as I know, Pinktim never participated on that board. And by the way, there will be no mindless bickering from me on this wonderful board...I can assure you of that! 8)
Stiggs
Knife
Knife

My fave era

Post by Stiggs »

My favorite era is 1971-present. Meddle is Pink Floyd's first real testament to their musical genious. Fearless and Echoes are simply fantastic songs. Obscured by clouds is great, but when Dark Side Of The Moon was released, from then on Pink Floyd is simply the best. Even though A Momentary Lapse of Reason and Division Bell aren't quite up to snuff, they're still great albums. They needed the Roger touch, but I still love them.
nightmare
Blade
Blade

Post by nightmare »

my favourite era is dark side of the moon era because in my opinion that is the best pink floyd album. also wish you were here is also a very good album
Powderfinger
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Favorite Era of Floyd Music?

Post by Powderfinger »

:arrow: '73-'75 DSOTM-WYWH,

definitely.
MoreOrLess
Blade
Blade

Post by MoreOrLess »

Of the ones you listed i'd go with 69-72, not as consistant as latter years but they released so much more material plus were at there best live IMHO.
Piper
Knife
Knife

Post by Piper »

I like the Syd era best perhaps, brief tho it was. Of the "classic" Pink Floyd I like '73-'77 best.