Please leave the Barretts alone

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
froobydoob
Embryo
Embryo

Please leave the Barretts alone

Post by froobydoob »

I walked past Roger's house this evening and noticed that someone has put a big banner on his fence saying that they had written to the Barretts. I didn't remove it because I didn't feel it was my place to do so, but please respect Roger's and the Barrett family's wishes for privacy.

Flowers are one thing but a banner? Whilst I'm sure the person(s) who placed the banner had the best intentions in mind, Roger wanted to be left alone and the least/best you can do is respect his wishes.

Frooby.
dinoseer

banner removal...

Post by dinoseer »

If the banner is on the fence and you are not possibly trespassing on private property to get to the banner, go remove that trash and burn it...
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

What makes you think it was us? were there any reports of 13155 Pink Floyd fans wandering down a street in Cambridge?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Yeah, rip it down and burn it!!

And yeah, I doubt it was someone on this forum. Everyone here is nice!
froobydoob
Embryo
Embryo

Post by froobydoob »

Sorry, I wasn't accusing anyone here of putting the banner up. I just noticed it yesterday, it annoyed me and thought that here would be a good place to register my disapproval.

You are a very nice bunch, a very, very nice bunch.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Tear down the banner!!! Tear down the banner!!! 8)
henno

Post by henno »

Theres more 'Syd' orintated sites out there with, what i would describe as, complete nutters...... you would be closer to the mark posting that on those sites...

any time there has been a debate on this forum regarding the disturbance of the private family of anyone, it has always come down heavily on the 'leave them alone' argument... i doubt the person that did it is a member here....
Madshef
Embryo
Embryo

Space & Respect

Post by Madshef »

Although we're all still coming to terms with Syd's passing the main thing we should all do is a) leave his family alone to mourn in peace and b) not be going to his home or final resting place. It's one thing if you live in the Cambridge neighborhhod where he lived but any of us from outside that area should continue to follow the rule of leaving Syd alone. Do this out of respect for Syd and his family as they are the ones who were closest to him and are now faced with the task of clearing out his home and managing his legacy. Let them have their peace & privacy.
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Re: Space & Respect

Post by dgsyd1 »

Madshef wrote:Although we're all still coming to terms with Syd's passing the main thing we should all do is a) leave his family alone to mourn in peace and b) not be going to his home or final resting place. It's one thing if you live in the Cambridge neighborhhod where he lived but any of us from outside that area should continue to follow the rule of leaving Syd alone. Do this out of respect for Syd and his family as they are the ones who were closest to him and are now faced with the task of clearing out his home and managing his legacy. Let them have their peace & privacy.
WELL SAID!!!
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Please leave the Barretts alone

Post by drafsack »

froobydoob wrote:I walked past Roger's house this evening and noticed that someone has put a big banner on his fence saying that they had written to the Barretts. I didn't remove it because I didn't feel it was my place to do so, but please respect Roger's and the Barrett family's wishes for privacy.

Flowers are one thing but a banner? Whilst I'm sure the person(s) who placed the banner had the best intentions in mind, Roger wanted to be left alone and the least/best you can do is respect his wishes.

Frooby.
So what were you doing walking past his house?
Jack Dempsey
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jack Dempsey »

drafsack wrote:
froobydoob wrote:I walked past Roger's house this evening and noticed that someone has put a big banner on his fence saying that they had written to the Barretts. I didn't remove it because I didn't feel it was my place to do so, but please respect Roger's and the Barrett family's wishes for privacy.

Frooby.
well said
froobydoob
Embryo
Embryo

Post by froobydoob »

Jack Dempsey wrote:
drafsack wrote:
well said
Fair point. I live in the neighbourhood. Roger would have walked past my house and I've walked past his. Maybe I'm being a hypocrite (please tell me if I am) but we all like to walk round where we live, enjoy the area and see what's going on.

Certainly, in all the years I've know he's lived there, I've never had the inclination to doorstep him or even stand outside the house. I did specifically walk past his house soon after I discovered where he lived but that was all.
Madshef
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Madshef »

In this case your actions are OK because you live right in the same neighborhood, so walking past Barrett's house would be innocent and non-threatening of his privacy. Since you live in Cambridge walking past the house sometimes is just a part of life. It would be different if you had flown in from a distant place just to seek him out and do the same thing, but that's not the case. My comments are directed at those in our world who deliberately seek to intrude on the Barrett's privacy which is both disrespectful and unnecessary. Since you live in the neighborhood maybe you could dissuade those types of people from bothering the Barretts and encourage them to go away.
latenight
Embryo
Embryo

Post by latenight »

Meanwhile, Rosemary Breen has given another interview, in the Cambridge Evening News.

Apparently, she and the Barretts were "touched" by the many tributes they received since Syd's death. So perhaps "leaving them alone" is not what we thought it is?

Cambridge Evening News
Atom Heart Sun
Blade
Blade

Post by Atom Heart Sun »

Wow, that's a really nice article! I think it warrants it's own thread so more people see it..