"Who Gives a F***"?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Raquel Copsey
Embryo
Embryo

"Who Gives a F***"?

Post by Raquel Copsey »

A year or so back, Gilmour was approached by a reporter or somebody, who asked him when a new Floyd album would be out. Gilmour responded with "Who gives a f***?"

I was (am) disturbed by this comment. Is this contempt for Floyd fans? Is it contempt for current music/pop culture trends? Is he sick of bearing the burden of "leading" Pink Floyd? Is he sick of dumb questions by journalists? Has he read and taken to heart David Smith's posts on this site?

It's odd, because Gilmour otherwise seems pretty game to participate in the many retrospective radio and television interviews relating to Pink Floyd. Mind you, most retrospectives of late tend to focus on the "Classic" period only up to The Final Cut, as if it's an unspoken given what the true nature of the post-1987 "band" really is- much less of a band, and very much a franchise. A very successful one, mind you (financially, not artistically).

Maybe Gilmour has been having second thoughts about the integrity of his motivations and decisions regarding the direction he has taken "the band". His recent involvement with some very worthwhile humanitarian endeavours (of which I am sure he genuinely believes in) and desire to simplify his life a bit may be evidence of his renouncement of greed and arrogance. Maybe his involvement in these activities will fuel his inspiration for another Floyd project.

What is Waters' view on Gilmour's recent involvement in charity? Is it enough to garner even a little bit of respect? I have to wonder- Where is the truth and integrity of Waters' humanitarian lyrics about "let's all get along and try to understand each other, etc." when he can't see fit to acknowledge Gilmour's attempts to put their differences behind them?At least he's buddies with Nick again.

Nick did say something recently to the effect that he would be very much in support of a "Classic Pink Floyd" reunion for a very worthwhile cause. I think this is the most realistic scenario for a reunion- a one-off, internationally televised reunion concert, the proceeds of which would go to some kind of disaster relief, or the establishment of a world-class institution for humanitarian purposes or some such.

What a classy way to close the book on a 40 year rock epic.
Charade I am
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Charade I am »

[-D-] that would be just beautiful raquel...just beautiful...
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I don't think they'd be able to agree on what songs to play.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Re: "Who Gives a F***"?

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

Why did he say, "Who gives a ****?"

Maybe because he now realizes almost nobody REALLY "gave/gives a ****," so to speak, about PWPF.

It was the greatest show on earth, but then it was over. We ohhed and aahed.

BUT VIRTUALLY NOBODY REALLY GAVE A ****.
enigma00
Axe
Axe

Post by enigma00 »

I think he said it becuase for a while thats ALL that he was asked by journalists. I'd get a little annoyed too.
Useful Idiot
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Useful Idiot »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:Why did he say, "Who gives a ****?"

Maybe because he now realizes almost nobody REALLY "gave/gives a ****," so to speak, about PWPF.
Look around this forum. Apparently there are some people who give a fuck around.

Dude, just because you don't give a fuck about them is no reason to make the generalization that no one does.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

Yet Another Movie wrote:Dude, just because you don't give a **** about them is no reason to make the generalization that no one does.
Don't lose your cool, man. I only stated a simple fact: There are very few people who TRULY care about PWPF. You shouldn't lash out at me for this fact, or for stating it.

Peace.
bmet
Knife
Knife

A One off show

Post by bmet »

That's all I want!!!!!!!!

Bmet :D
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

Well I just know that I give a fuck. So really what David should of said is: Meddler gives a fuck. Instead of asking the question of who?. :P
JML
Hammer
Hammer

Post by JML »

Meddler wrote:Well I just know that I give a ****. So really what David should of said is: Meddler gives a ****. Instead of asking the question of who?. :P
Maybe he doesn't know your name?! And you're not the only one who give's fuck... Maybe Gilmour knows who gives a fuck but he was too tired to tell averybodys name, or that intervue was cutted just before Gilmour was telling who gives a fuck.

I like to make my posts bigger than life itself [-D-] \:D/ [-D-] \:D/
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

LOL... Reporter: "is there a new album coming out..."

Dave: "who gives a fuck... (has that smirky grin on) oh just kidding, really don't have plans at this moment. Might do a solo project though"

Depending on when it was asked... don't have that info. I'm sure it was something to that effect, you know how reporters and tabloids are. THIS JUST IN - DAVID GILMOUR SAYS: WHO GIVES A FUCK! Just to get us to purchase it. They are deceptive little money hungry feins! Don't by everything you read. But its okay to read stuff you haven't bought! ;)
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Raquel Copsey wrote:Has he read and taken to heart David Smith's posts on this site?
Yeah, maybe a bloody well did and read someone say something before later changing their mind about it, yet a year later having a bunch of new people coming on and despite the 4 or 5 mentions of his mind being changed (particularly 2 on the second last page of it which nobody who replied afterwards managed to read) still being accused of saying David Gilmour is crap.

If he's been on this site then i hope he did take it to heart that he's not crap.
Raquel Copsey
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Raquel Copsey »

... and he's NOT GLAM. :lol:
Powderfinger
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Powderfinger »

The reason why he doesn't want a new PF-album is that if there's a new album, there must come a new show(his words). The last tour lasted two years and they thought (PF) of it as too short. It should be longer to be succesfull and he has no meanings to do such a long project.

Why does everybody expect David to take the lead with a new album. Pink Floyd consist of three members. In the past Rick has written good songs. Perhaps he can"relieve the burden on Dave's shoulders".
Raquel Copsey
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Raquel Copsey »

See "Rick Should Lead" in the Rick Wright discussion section...