"Who Gives a F***"?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Marshall
Embryo
Embryo

Pink Floyd reunion

Post by Marshall »

Pardon my ignorance again, but what is PWPF? I know what PF means of course, but you lost me with the extra two letters.

Anyway, if a PF reunion ever did happen, I would hope Roger & Dave could get along better than Simon & Garfunkel did at their last reunion appearance a few months ago at the Grammys. S&G fought the whole day of the rehearsal and right before the show and immediately afterwards before storming out and reportedly swearing never to speak to each other again.
SomeGhostsStepOut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SomeGhostsStepOut »

Pardon my ignorance again, but what is PWPF? I know what PF means of course, but you lost me with the extra two letters.
PWPF=Post Waters Pink Floyd
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Raquel Copsey wrote:... and he's NOT GLAM. :lol:
He's not glam, though his guitar style IMVHO is.
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

Oh.......BLAH! :?
dogs_pigs_n_sheep
Knife
Knife

Post by dogs_pigs_n_sheep »

Think of TDB and think of TDSOTM. Compare the fan success, the critical success, and staying power of these albums.

Pink Floyd blasted onto the scene with TDSOTM. Prior to that, they were known, but not a household name, by far. This album changed everything. Each album following that had that album to thank for it's success to some degree. They cut a path for themselves as a concept and album band. They stayed rich with that formula.

TDB is not ground-breaking. It is a great album, but it is not a DSOTM, or even an Animals. It may be better than TFC (depending on which camp you are in) but it is not up to the standards set before Roger left the band.

I went to TDB tour, and it was good. I also know that almost every cent they made on that tour had to do with the name, and not the album. Fans (Fanatics like us) may know the whole of the band, but most of those at the concert were not fanatics, but instead those who knew PF from sitting around the bong.

So, when Dave says who gives a ...whatever.. I think he is not willing to try again to meet such a lofty goal as being PF, and instead enjoys playing music without that high standard. Plus he has time for his wife, kids, and airplanes this way.

I can't blame him.
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

dogs_pigs_n_sheep wrote:Think of TDB and think of TDSOTM. Compare the fan success, the critical success, and staying power of these albums.

Pink Floyd blasted onto the scene with TDSOTM. Prior to that, they were known, but not a household name, by far. This album changed everything. Each album following that had that album to thank for it's success to some degree. They cut a path for themselves as a concept and album band. They stayed rich with that formula.

TDB is not ground-breaking. It is a great album, but it is not a DSOTM, or even an Animals. It may be better than TFC (depending on which camp you are in) but it is not up to the standards set before Roger left the band.

I went to TDB tour, and it was good. I also know that almost every cent they made on that tour had to do with the name, and not the album. Fans (Fanatics like us) may know the whole of the band, but most of those at the concert were not fanatics, but instead those who knew PF from sitting around the bong.

So, when Dave says who gives a ...whatever.. I think he is not willing to try again to meet such a lofty goal as being PF, and instead enjoys playing music without that high standard. Plus he has time for his wife, kids, and airplanes this way.

I can't blame him.
You're right on with your assesment 100%.

Had he been asked that question in 1990 it would've been a different response. In his mind he's met every professional goal and now feels comfortable just doing what he wants to when he wants to. More power to him!

Although he has every right to tour the Floyd airship once again, he won't simply because he doesn't need to. '86-95' was all about proving that he can do it without Roger and IMO he did fantastically and he knows that. now he can sit back and give his money away.