Has David bitten off more than he can chew??

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Has David bitten off more than he can chew??

Post by drafsack »

Its been over nine years since the release of any new Floyd albums, so the question is Did David bite off more than he can chew when he snached the batton that Roger dropped? In the almost 20 years (Yes! 20 years) since Roger claimed PF was a spent force, the boys have managed 2 albums. The first was a DG solo album put out under the name of Pink Floyd to sell a few more, with Rick and Nick dragged along for the ride to make it look official, the second was a little more legit as Rick managed a writing credit but, like the first had an array of co-writers and other musicians. So if you couple this to the lack of new output, I think David has relised that while Roger was in the group he could turn up and look a little interested and good albums would be produced. But now he is "in charge" and he had to do it all himself it's a different matter he has adopted a "who gives a f**k" attitude with regards to any new floyd material, so David, be brave and admit you bit off more than you can chew when you took over the Floyd mantle and announce it's over. This would put us Floyd fans out of our misery of checking the music press and internet everyday for any small hint that you are recording or touring again under the Floyd banner and let us settlle into a life of collecting re issues and remasters of previously released reissues and remasters and the compulsary rehashed best of's that will no doubt be released to keep you and the boys in the style you have become acustomed to.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Judging by several interviews I have heard/read of late, I think Gilmour is winding down the Floyd and will not do anything with that brand name anymore. He said the other week words to the effect that now roger had left, something was missing. They tried to play echoes but the "grumpy bass player" - as he affectionately referred to him - was "missing". Indeed. The table is not as complete as before and Gilmour is now accepting that, without a full table of inputs, the Floyd cannot continue anymore.

I fully expect a very beautiful and masterful 3rd solo album from the happy Gilmour himself! If smile and that je suis encore thing are anything to go by, it will be a magical lovely piece of work. Bring it on Gilmour.

HEY GILMOUR, LEAVE THAT FLOYD ANLONE!!! :lol:
grateful pink
Knife
Knife

Post by grateful pink »

i believe this is sad, but true. I like PWPF but do not love it like I did before. Such is life.
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

I don't think he bit off more than he can chew really, I just think that age has caught up with him and he achieved everything that he set out to do. He grabbed the baton and had 2 hugely successfull albums and tours without Roger. If he really wanted to he could the same right now, but he won't because he's quite content doing what he's doing. I would however like him once and for all to announce his plans for the future of Pink Floyd just so the fans know where he stands.
SaintCrest
Axe
Axe

Post by SaintCrest »

just because they were succesful doesnt mean they were good.. i know people went to those concerts for pink floyd and not for david gilmour....

but i wanted to see neal schon instead of journey... or did i? i dunno... im high ...later
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

SaintCrest wrote:just because they were succesful doesnt mean they were good.. i know people went to those concerts for pink floyd and not for david gilmour....

but i wanted to see neal schon instead of journey... or did i? i dunno... im high ...later
If they wouldn't have been good, people wouldn't have gone ( MLOR-tour went for 3 years, so plenty of time to know if the current Floyd sounds like the "Floyd of the seventies" or sounds like sh....t !

From 1986 on up until 1995, the current Floyd has worked very hard, so hard that Gilmours marriage broke down on it ( during the MLOR-tour ). Up until 1990 we got the MLOR-tour, then in 1993 start working on TDB, 1994 we got the tour and 1995 saw the Video and release of Pulse.
After 1995, Gilmour has done session work and gone on tours. We also got Echoes, ITAOT.
And NO, i'm not going to compare this with activities and releases after 1985 of other members of PF.
bmet
Knife
Knife

What would they sing about?

Post by bmet »

What would (David or Rick) write the lyrics about????????????

I think that's the main question!
They would perhaps need Roger again.Dave and Rick might have
some music to contribute.
GalileoProximo
Embryo
Embryo

Pink Floyd minus Waters

Post by GalileoProximo »

Only the most rabid Floyd fans even consider the post-Waters era to be anything worth discussing. Their material went bankrupt the moment he left, there is plenty of evidence for that even if you like the music and a few of their songs catch your ear. It is a plain and simple fact that their two albums did not have any of the force or theme of almost all of their earlier work.

And, it's probably money that drove them to tour without Waters. I was at their MTLOR tour, and aside from the laser show, it was terrible. If they hadn't played the whole Shine On, they would have had a cozy 20 minutes of material.

Without Waters, basically you are talking Tap without Nigel. It just isn't the same.
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

You got 3 bands. Syd's Band, w/Roger and w/o Roger. They all are very good. Although w/Roger they were at their prime. But I don't think David bit off more than he could chew. From the looks of it, he can bite and chew alot and not have to worry ;). Okay I had to do it. Anyway, rather you perfer 1, 2, or 3 they are all Pink Floyd to me.
Sydjones
Axe
Axe

Has David Gilmour Bitten Off More Than He Can Chew?

Post by Sydjones »

No...I don't think that Gilmour has bitten off more than he can chew. But if he misses Roger so much, I have an idea. Get Roger back together with the band, and make one last Pink Floyd album with the old partnership. But really, Momentary Lapse Of Reason, and The Division Bell are very good albums, so why stop now? ](*,) The thought of no knew PF albums drives me crazy though!!!!
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Has David Gilmour Bitten Off More Than He Can Chew?

Post by Meddler »

Sydjones wrote:no knew PF albums drives me crazy though!!!!
It drives me sane. As I am already crazy...
patflight
Embryo
Embryo

Has David Gilmour bitten off more than he could chew?

Post by patflight »

Yes, I think David, Rick and Nick put out a couple of good albums after Roger left but they lack the forceful lyrics that are Roger's trademark. They also had an excellent tour but relied heavily on other musicians. I don't believe they could do another album (I don't think they want to do another). If they could put their bad feelings aside and Roger joined the band, they could put on an awesome tour! I don't think they would be able to put out another album because I don't believe they could work that closely together again and as will eventually happen, their voices aren't what they used to be. David can still play guitar, though!
barrythemod
Embryo
Embryo

Life without Waters

Post by barrythemod »

Of course Floyd is dead !
It`s like the Beatles without Lennon.
Taking nothing away from Gilmore,Waters and Lennon were geniouses.
Over the past few years,the most interesting stuff has come from R.W.
Gilmore has rested on his "laurels",apart from when he pops up on Jules Holland as a Super Session player.
Lets face it,with all his money safely stashed away,he doesen`t have to/need to try any more.What has he got to proove? There aint gonna be a band as big as Floyd ever again.Just let them turn up and do their guest apperances on tv/Glastonbury,etc.Once you`ve been on top of the mountain for so long,why worry?
Let them live their mellow years in peace.Stop hounding them for more.
Sit back and enjoy what they`ve given us and hope that all their back catalogue is remixed in SACD or DVD Audio.
Be seeing you
Barry
dearboy
Blade
Blade

Good Living for Too Long

Post by dearboy »

First off, let me say that Mr.Gilmour has been my favourite guitarist for nearly 30 years. I expect he always will be. But, I don't expect much more from Ol' David. He's pushing retirement age. His hair (what's left of it) is gray. He's packed on a bunch of pounds...and he has more money than he'll EVER spend - which may be why he's been so generous to charities. He's got his hobbies. Hell, even the Queen has had him 'round for tea and trinkets. I think he's just plain tired. I mean, he's been there and done it ALL.

And to be brutally honest, I wasn't impressed with his recent solo dvd. (Sorry all) I enjoyed the home video more than the concert. What's Fat Old Sun without the solo? But, the lowest point for me was Comfortably Numb. Thousands of singers out there know every word to that song. Why did he have that old guy "read" Roger's parts? I assume he's someone of note in England, but where I sit, he's just an old guy in a wheelchair. It was extremely disappointing. Sir Bob also read the lines. I thought overall, the show was unsatisfying.
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

Maximus wrote:Well Spinhead, I didn't insult you personally, but if you had a clue you would realize what I said was true. Floyd hasn't been a musically relevant force in over 20 years.

Wake up, and stop the personal insults, you f&cking a$$hole; and you are a moron to boot.
Just have a look at all those NON-Floydfans who have occasionally a Floydalbum. Sometimes its TDB or MLOR and they are WELL pleased and delighted by it !

And if i compare the bootlegs from MLOR-Tour with KAOS-tour, MLOR sounds 100 times more Floyd than Waters-effort.

And if you are able to show me the THEME or the "DEEP LYRICS" in the Pre-DSOTM albums, i will admit that you were right !

BTW if you want people "to stop the insults", don't do it yourself then. LOL