Has David bitten off more than he can chew??

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Comfortably_Floyd
Blade
Blade

Post by Comfortably_Floyd »

Did David (or anyone else in the band) ever announce that PULSE would be their last tour???
If not don't you think that they should at least do one last tour and say..."Hey this is the last one".....that way we would get to be quite content and happy just like David and the band
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Pink Floyd minus Waters

Post by quicksilver »

Maximus wrote:Only the most rabid Floyd fans even consider the post-Waters era to be anything worth discussing. Their material went bankrupt the moment he left, there is plenty of evidence for that even if you like the music and a few of their songs catch your ear. It is a plain and simple fact that their two albums did not have any of the force or theme of almost all of their earlier work.

And, it's probably money that drove them to tour without Waters. I was at their MTLOR tour, and aside from the laser show, it was terrible. If they hadn't played the whole Shine On, they would have had a cozy 20 minutes of material.

Without Waters, basically you are talking Tap without Nigel. It just isn't the same.
Well, money does enter into it, I'm almost certain that Roger charges fans to see him as well. I think the driving force was to prove that he can sell albums and sell out stadiums without Roger--and he did!

I happen to like MLOR and TDB. I was also at a MLOR concert in MIlwaukee and it was great. I actually liked it more than the Div Bell tour.

Many say that when Syd left and Roger took the lead role that their material "went bankrupt" I never believed that to be true either.
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

quicksilver wrote:
Maximus wrote:Only the most rabid Floyd fans even consider the post-Waters era to be anything worth discussing. Their material went bankrupt the moment he left, there is plenty of evidence for that even if you like the music and a few of their songs catch your ear. It is a plain and simple fact that their two albums did not have any of the force or theme of almost all of their earlier work.

And, it's probably money that drove them to tour without Waters. I was at their MTLOR tour, and aside from the laser show, it was terrible. If they hadn't played the whole Shine On, they would have had a cozy 20 minutes of material.

Without Waters, basically you are talking Tap without Nigel. It just isn't the same.
Well, money does enter into it, I'm almost certain that Roger charges fans to see him as well. I think the driving force was to prove that he can sell albums and sell out stadiums without Roger--and he did!

I happen to like MLOR and TDB. I was also at a MLOR concert in MIlwaukee and it was great. I actually liked it more than the Div Bell tour.

Many say that when Syd left and Roger took the lead role that their material "went bankrupt" I never believed that to be true either.
Why do i always agree with you almost completly ? LOL
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Spinoza wrote: If they wouldn't have been good, people wouldn't have gone ( MLOR-tour went for 3 years, so plenty of time to know if the current Floyd sounds like the "Floyd of the seventies" or sounds like sh....t !

Many people who went to see the MLOR tour weren't aware that a key member was missing. They were there because there was going to be a kick-ass laser show...oh yeah...and the music of Pink Floyd. They really liked HIS music, you know.

So, they stoked their blunts...got all red-eyed...and went into a football stadium to see the latest in laser technology blow their minds...

oh yeah...and listen to the music of Pink Floyd performed by him and his back up band.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Spinoza wrote:

Just have a look at all those NON-Floydfans who have occasionally a Floydalbum. Sometimes its TDB or MLOR and they are WELL pleased and delighted by it !

Of course they do...they don't know any better.

Let me wax psychological on you for a second, if I may (and who's going to stop me? :lol: )

The "non-Floydians" who buy a Floyd album have no idea of the band's history or what they were truly capable of at their peak. All they know is that this "Pink Floyd fella" is well talked about and in high regard, it seems.

So they go to buy a Pink Floyd album to see what all the talk is about. They opt for AMLOR or DB figuring that the newest must be the best...or that people they know will be most impressed by them having the newest PF album.

They may be "well pleased" by the music they hear...how could they NOT be? It's very tranquil and relaxing music.

But imagine how much more pleased they'd be if they bought...say...DSOTM...or WYWH.
zyggy_baker
Embryo
Embryo

Post by zyggy_baker »

No. I don't think that Dave's bitten off more then he can chew. He'll probably change his mind about another Pink Floyd project. Who knows? But it would probably impossible for David to get Roger back into the band as he once put it once the "grumpy bass player" shuts somebody out he shuts them out and he also has no intention of ever returning to Floyd.
rollinder
Blade
Blade

Re: Good Living for Too Long

Post by rollinder »

dearboy wrote:And to be brutally honest, I wasn't impressed with his recent solo dvd. (Sorry all) I enjoyed the home video more than the concert. What's Fat Old Sun without the solo? But, the lowest point for me was Comfortably Numb. Thousands of singers out there know every word to that song. Why did he have that old guy "read" Roger's parts? I assume he's someone of note in England, but where I sit, he's just an old guy in a wheelchair. It was extremely disappointing.
That was probably a thank you to Robert Wyatt (the "old guy in a wheelchair" for asking him to do Meltdown. Every year someone's chosen to curate the event and they get to choose the artists.

If he hadn't, David wouldn't have had the idea of perofoming that way, and the other acoustic concerts would have happened either.

From the offical net blurb for the dvd (also suggests his views on Pink Floyd) -

"Meltdown changes its curator annually. This year's was David Bowie. Last year's was Robert Wyatt (once a Sixties 'progressive' himself, in the Soft Machine). When Wyatt rang Gilmour with an invitation to play at the 3000-seat theatre, the answer was an immediate "yes". The high-decibel son et lumiere that typifies a Floyd show was no longer of interest to Gilmour. But how to embrace an intimate venue? "While Robert was still on the phone, an idea came to me, God knows from where. I thought: just a double-bass, a cello and a small gospel choir." Not a line-up he was used to. "Then I put down the phone and started to panic..."

"The Meltdown performance went so well, David Gilmour decided to come back to the Royal Festival Hall a few months later to perform the show three more times. As he explains, 'It seemed rather daft putting that amount of effort into it for only one night. So I thought maybe I'd do it again for fun. Just for me really.'
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

I dont think Dave bit off more than he can chew but i cant help feeling a little short changed by him. I like the Gilmour led output, not as much as the previous work but I like it. The trouble is that after all that hassle getting the Floyd name the band only ran for 9 years with a 3 year break in between and I feel that Roger would have done more with the name had he wanted it. The big problem with going out as Pink Floyd again is the sheer logistics of putting on such shows, Daves no spring chicken now and may well find such a hectic schedule a strain.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

Spinoza wrote: From 1986 on up until 1995, the current Floyd has worked very hard, so hard that Gilmours marriage broke down on it ( during the MLOR-tour ).
Actually, cheating may have had something to do with it. Rumor has it that presidential candidate John Kerry was going out with some reporter in the late '80s and she ended up dumping him for David Gilmour.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

quicksilver wrote: Well, money does enter into it, I'm almost certain that Roger charges fans to see him as well. I think the driving force was to prove that he can sell albums and sell out stadiums without Roger--and he did!
He treated Pink Floyd as if it were Fleetwood Mac or some crap act like that. Good job.
PF W/Barrett - 1 Album (And part of SOS)
PF W/Waters - 12 Albums

Barrett is really a footnote in Pink Floyd history (Let's not kid ourselves). PATGOD is The Pink Floyd, a totally different band really.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:Barrett is really a footnote in Pink Floyd history (Let's not kid ourselves). PATGOD is The Pink Floyd, a totally different band really.
I agree completely, I always see it as 2 seperate bands, I guess the best similarity would be Joy Division / New Order. Thats how I see Syd-Floyd / Post-Syd Floyd.
FloydmanTIM
Embryo
Embryo

Has Dave bitten off more than he can chew?

Post by FloydmanTIM »

My answer to that is a simple NO!

The sad fact is that the guys are getting old now and time catches up with us all.

All great things must end one day, I guess?

I'm thankful Dave took up the challenge when Roger left, otherwise I would not have seen the Rogerless Floyd 8 times.
But deep down I fear that the 21st of October 1994 was the last ever date
that Pink Floyd performed live.

Of course, I'd love to be proven wrong!
Neil

Post by Neil »

I'm sure Dave has got some regrets about doing what he did.. he is probably aware of a certain amount of hostility he gets today from certain Floyd fans. Whether he knew from the start he'd get that is anyones guess..

I'd like to know what Dave thinks of AMLOR and TDB now.. does he consider them solid albums, or has he conceeded they're not really Pink quality :? Please note I'm not attempting to say they are not Floyd worthy..

I'm sure I've read somewhere that Roger didn't think Kaos was his best work.
smarvel
Embryo
Embryo

Has David bitten off more than he can chew

Post by smarvel »

:?: :?: :?: Well Boyz, I will have to "hear, hear" to Quicksilver. Dam'n the guy is closing in on 60. Has tons of dough. Turned out what I believe was the best concert of all times at "Earl's Court", October 14, 94 with the P.U.L.S.E video/album. Best video I have ever seen. Interestingly, my son is 17 and plays drums in a band, and you would be amazed at how many young people are really getting into PF. In Tulsa, Ok to boot. Rock on David Gilmore, enjoy your succes. Way to go on your charity work and thanks for providing this 50 year young rocker over 30 years of the best space rock availalbe. And many thanks to you, Kieth, for the great site. Cheers to my British buddies

Marvel
Spirit Catcher
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spirit Catcher »

No way