Has David bitten off more than he can chew??

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Neil

Re: Has David bitten off more than he can chew

Post by Neil »

smarvel wrote:I believe was the best concert of all times at "Earl's Court", October 14, 94 with the P.U.L.S.E video/album. Cheers to my British buddies

Marvel
Hey - that was the gig I was at :lol: We were a bit worried though cause the previous night certain sections of seating had collapsed in the crowd !
Cheers mate..
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pink Floyd minus Waters

Post by Keith Jordan »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:Barrett is really a footnote in Pink Floyd history (Let's not kid ourselves). PATGOD is The Pink Floyd, a totally different band really.
It is my opinion that Syd Barrett gave the band direction and inspiration for all of their material that they have ever made. Would this footnote be in bold typeface or be coloured red?? :lol:
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Something came to me last night when I was on my way home from work:
Roger has been out of Pink Floyd nearly as long as he was in Pink Floyd, and he had already left the group long before some of this forum members were born.
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

mosespa wrote:
Spinoza wrote: If they wouldn't have been good, people wouldn't have gone ( MLOR-tour went for 3 years, so plenty of time to know if the current Floyd sounds like the "Floyd of the seventies" or sounds like sh....t !

Many people who went to see the MLOR tour weren't aware that a key member was missing. They were there because there was going to be a kick-*** laser show...oh yeah...and the music of Pink Floyd. They really liked HIS music, you know.

So, they stoked their blunts...got all red-eyed...and went into a football stadium to see the latest in laser technology blow their minds...

oh yeah...and listen to the music of Pink Floyd performed by him and his back up band.

About your second comment: i prefer the current Floyd, over Waters-band. And this certainly is true when you compare KAOS-tour with MLOR-tour. I really ( and i think i'm not alone ) don't like the Kaos-Floydsong renditions.

Again, if the music would have been shitty, they wouldn't have come; they( public and concertorganisers) got 3 years to get informed about the quality.

"HIS" music ?? Again, only a maximum of 3 numbers was a Roger solocredit !! People like Gilmours guitar; the intro guitar of Shine on; the 4 note Phrase ( have you listened to that awfull "In The Flesh"-album rendition of these 4 notes ). Plainly simple: Gilmours Floyd could play the songs far way better than Rogers Kaos-band !
sirnickelby
Embryo
Embryo

Isn't this what most really want?

Post by sirnickelby »

Syd Barrett gets this really strange idea that he wants to make a new album. He calls Gilmour, Wright, Wateres and Mason and tell them they have to finnish what they started. So they all meet in a nice studio where they spend their time for 2 months, smoking some dope and producing material. Then they realease the greatest album ever and go out on a 6 month tour and quit.

:D
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Hey - that was the gig I was at We were a bit worried though cause the previous night certain sections of seating had collapsed in the crowd !
Cheers mate..
Hey I was there too on that night. I can remember listening to the radio all day waiting to find out if the concert was still on, fortunatly it was. Sitting in front of us was some bloke who had been their when the stand fell down and he spent every oppertunity to bore everyone around him with the "Did you know I was their story". It was a great show and IMO better than the "Pulse" DSoTM show.
Neil

Post by Neil »

drafsack wrote:It was a great show and IMO better than the "Pulse" DSoTM show.
Agreed it was a great gig. For some reason the guitar solo during A Great Day for Freedom was a higlight for me... which obviously they didn't play on the Pulse video show.
I remember going to get 2 beers in the intermission and not having very much change from a tenner :? :shock: :o
Parpa
Blade
Blade

Wot's...Uh The Deal?

Post by Parpa »

Look, David (and the boys) are not getting any younger. AGE has a lot to do with this. David has a (rather large) family. He's earned the right to enjoy this life of his. Of course music is still a driving force in his life and he WILL continue to write/record/perform music...he simply does not want to have that immense load on his back called Pink Floyd! Do you blame him? The only way we get another Pink Floyd album is for David and Roger to mend the rift. The world would LOVE another studio project from the band, Pink Floyd. Roger has been working on his new album for what...seven years? Maybe longer. And Dave seems to have years worth of ideas...I'd hate for these ideas to never see the light of day. Roger and Dave NEED each other in ways they simply refuse to acknowledge. They really do "complete each other" musically...and conceptually. After all, it is their collaboration (however perceived) that we call Pink Floyd. David is the musical director...and Roger the visionary. And we all miss that collaboration so much!!! And I think they do too. But they are both very stubborn and refuse to make the motion. NICK, if you're out there...PLEASE try and bridge the gap...life is too short (as we all know). Let's roll another one...
movement
Axe
Axe

Of course they are done

Post by movement »

They hardly have anything left to say. Heck, Roger hasn't exactly been prolific. There have only been 2 studio albums from either side since 1990, and only 4 since 1986. Maybe Roger will come out with a new one or that ?a ira thing but even if he does, I am not expecting much. Dave is maybe going to have a new solo album. What is wrong with being happily retired and coming back to perform every now and then? This is 2003, not 1973.
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Pink Floyd minus Waters

Post by Meddler »

Keith Jordan wrote:
Real Pink in the Inside wrote:Barrett is really a footnote in Pink Floyd history (Let's not kid ourselves). PATGOD is The Pink Floyd, a totally different band really.
It is my opinion that Syd Barrett gave the band direction and inspiration for all of their material that they have ever made. Would this footnote be in bold typeface or be coloured red?? :lol:
I agree with you there Keith, but for Division Bell and MLOR I think it was both Syd and Roger.
johanloon
Embryo
Embryo

the end of pink floyd

Post by johanloon »

i think pf it about it's end ( i thought they alreadyy stopped after echoed
i also hope pulse and dellicate sound will be soon aviable on dvd as an '"goodbye
enigma00
Axe
Axe

Post by enigma00 »

Becuase I never saw the Floyd live I am somewhat selfish in wishing they would tour again, but I too believe that it is time to end Pink Floyd. They had a damn good run, with sid, with roger, and without roger.
Parpa
Blade
Blade

I gotta disagree here...

Post by Parpa »

Sorry...but I disagree with the notion of packing it in. So long as these guys (Roger, Dave, Nick and Rick) are interesting in making music and are alive and well - - they should appreciate not only what they have accomplished together, but what they are still capable of doing as a unit. I'm not saying that they need to be spending the time and energy they have spent in the past, as young men. But why not an album every 5-6 years? Is that asking too much? Pink Floyd are a very special, very unique band. No band in the history of rock n' roll is like Pink Floyd. They are innovators and pioneers. And as long as they all shall live they will collectively hold that unique recipe for sound and imagery. They owe it to themselves to at least not put boundaries on how much more they can or will produce. Pink Floyd can defy age...and I think they will...
SomeGhostsStepOut
Hammer
Hammer

Re: I gotta disagree here...

Post by SomeGhostsStepOut »

Parpa wrote:Sorry...but I disagree with the notion of packing it in. So long as these guys (Roger, Dave, Nick and Rick) are interesting in making music and are alive and well - - they should appreciate not only what they have accomplished together, but what they are still capable of doing as a unit. I'm not saying that they need to be spending the time and energy they have spent in the past, as young men. But why not an album every 5-6 years? Is that asking too much? Pink Floyd are a very special, very unique band. No band in the history of rock n' roll is like Pink Floyd. They are innovators and pioneers. And as long as they all shall live they will collectively hold that unique recipe for sound and imagery. They owe it to themselves to at least not put boundaries on how much more they can or will produce. Pink Floyd can defy age...and I think they will...
Amen...Amen. Pink Floyd are very special & fantastic band. & like you said Parpa no band is like P i n k F l o y d. 8)
madcap69
Hammer
Hammer

Post by madcap69 »

Rick needs to take the lead and him and Nick need to stand up to David and let him know either he joins them in a floyd project or they will do one without him.