Has David bitten off more than he can chew??

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
kent
Embryo
Embryo

Gilmour can't compare to waters

Post by kent »

Let's face it. Gilmour pales in comparison to waters' talents.
Sure he threw in a guitar solo and played some tasteful stuff but waters was writing the lyrics and the music. He's a fucking genius.
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Gilmour can't compare to waters

Post by quicksilver »

kent wrote:Let's face it. Gilmour pales in comparison to waters' talents.
Sure he threw in a guitar solo and played some tasteful stuff but waters was writing the lyrics and the music. He's a ******* genius.
You obviously don't know much about Pink Floyd.........Dave did more than throw in a guitar solo. Do your homework before you make ridiculous statements.
Parpa
Blade
Blade

Post by Parpa »

[quote="kent"]Let's face it. Gilmour pales in comparison to waters' talents.
Sure he threw in a guitar solo and played some tasteful stuff but waters was writing the lyrics and the music. He's a ******* genius.[/quote]

Wow - - you must REALLY like Rog. To make such a statement...making very little of David's contributions. Take away David Gilmour and where do you suppose the Floyd would have gone? Sure, guitar players are a dime-a-dozen, but to have the likes of Mr. Gilmour in the fold...takes the concepts and imagery of Roger Waters and makes them slowly dance. "The Pink Floyd sound" is as much (if not more?) David as it is Roger. Why do you think he (David) was even able to set out without Rog? Not saying it's better without him, but it does still sound like Pink Floyd. That alone is a testement to David's contributions. He proved a BIG point when he moved on without Roger - - calling it Pink Floyd. Sure, point taken by many. Now what? I don't think David has anything left to "prove" as perhaps he might have 10-15 years ago. Now he would truly need Roger to make another album (I think). And perhaps Roger needs David less than David needs him - - today anyway. Sorry to ramble on here, but the point is David Gilmour is a master of sound. He was squarely behind much of our favorite music...and of course, he DID play a few decent guitar solos. :wink:
Bluevelvet
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Bluevelvet »

I think that he is definetly chewing on something...But I wonder if he's chewing on the right bone. The thougt of it as a floyd fan dating of thirty years back, worries me as the feeling one gets when a close family member is in need of healing, or going through that process. I do not think age has anything to do with it but not allowing enough "time" or notacknowledging on time that one needs to let "mother nature" heal those old wounds; can certainly promt one to say "who gives a fuck" about the very thing one loves the most. Easy to say I know, for the fact that fear can make the action of letting go, a not so easy thing to do. On the other hand if one is able to brave getting across that old courtain of memories, centering back can allow that flowing river of life-creative energy take you back to the moment where you are meant to be. And I wonder if on the first place, the Floyd's original quest wasn't self healing and freedom from :evil: :evil: :evil: :lol: :lol: :lol: :?: any impossed boundaries. "Shine on" Brother, take your time, and remember that music is a gift given on to us(agift you sure were given in abondance) by that cosmic mother-father-thing we just can't explain. and if by such great chance we (Floyd's fans) should be so lucky, we might just once again get togther in the experince of listening to the "Echoes of the future" part one.. :D :D Love 2u all
kent
Embryo
Embryo

garbage

Post by kent »

that's just nonsense, you're all too cautious. post roger waters floyd is terrible, utterly terrible. All culminating in the final corporate, country road wearing middle aged members releasing the most lame album I have ever heard which is The Division Bell. It's a terrible album. Dave is a lost, lost man. Roger and him together were immensly enjoyable. To honestly say that anything done after Roger's departure was noteworthy from the members parading under the name "Pink Floyd" is a sin. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.
1 track from one of Roger's solo albums is more enjoyable than all of pink floyd's post waters albums.
AMEN!@
MikeWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by MikeWaters »

that's just nonsense, you're all too cautious. post roger waters floyd is terrible, utterly terrible. All culminating in the final corporate, country road wearing middle aged members releasing the most lame album I have ever heard which is The Division Bell. It's a terrible album. Dave is a lost, lost man. Roger and him together were immensly enjoyable. To honestly say that anything done after Roger's departure was noteworthy from the members parading under the name "Pink Floyd" is a sin. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.
1 track from one of Roger's solo albums is more enjoyable than all of pink floyd's post waters albums.
AMEN!@

Biggest bunch of **** that I've ever seen. TDB is a great album.
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Re: garbage

Post by Spinoza »

kent wrote:that's just nonsense, you're all too cautious. post roger waters floyd is terrible, utterly terrible. All culminating in the final corporate, country road wearing middle aged members releasing the most lame album I have ever heard which is The Division Bell. It's a terrible album. Dave is a lost, lost man. Roger and him together were immensly enjoyable. To honestly say that anything done after Roger's departure was noteworthy from the members parading under the name "Pink Floyd" is a sin. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.
AMEN!@
Well we all know that it is supposed to be a sign of intelligence and good taste to bash post-Waters Pink Floyd. I disagree completly with those people. Just give them some time to become a little bit more mature.
MoreOrLess
Blade
Blade

Post by MoreOrLess »

No I dont think he bit off more than he could chew. Certainly pink floyd would have been better if waters had stayed around and let Gilmour make some contribution. Even if he had I very much doubt they would have kept up to there 70's standard, the simple fact is that almost no band in rock history has keep it up at the highest level forever and pink floyd are no different. Fact is while they might have kept it up at the top level for longer than pretty much anyone else I can think of(certainly longer than the beatles, the rolling stones, led zeppelin and the who) by the time TFC came around things were already going downhill. In comparason to most other bands who have stuck around since the 60's/70's I think Gilmour has done a fine job in keeping up pink floyds reputation. I mean look at the rolling stones they've released nothing of merrit since the early 70's yet they carry on and on and on. Gilmour's floyd on the other hand have never released an album that the general public view as bad and have only toured after releasing something.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

Parpa wrote:David as it is Roger. Why do you think he (David) was even able to set out without Rog? Not saying it's better without him, but it does still sound like Pink Floyd. That alone is a testement to David's contributions.

Ezrin, that is :lol:
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

Spinoza wrote:Just give them some time to become a little bit more mature.
David should grow up and officially retire Pink Floyd, something that should have been done about 20 years ago.
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

Spinoza wrote:Well we all know that it is supposed to be a sign of intelligence and good taste to bash post-Waters Pink Floyd. I disagree completly with those people. Just give them some time to become a little bit more mature.
I'm afraid if I have to wait until I'm that mature, I'll be senile.
kent
Embryo
Embryo

Can't believe they kept on going as pink floyd

Post by kent »

Dave has some nerve continuing under the name pink floyd after Roger left.
Really really really really really really bad idea.
the lyrics on the division bell are fucking terrible. Mush@! He was dead, after Roger took his lyrical AND musical talent away.
David's music compositions are boring, weak, and lacklustre on the division bell. I'm sure you can all see that.
The recording on the division bell sounds like it was done in some corporate 100 storey office building, with them occupying a level to themselves and levels below for all their business crap.
What a waste of time and money.
Bluevelvet
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Has David bitten off more than he can chew??

Post by Bluevelvet »

drafsack wrote:Its been over nine years since the release of any new Floyd albums, so the question is Did David bite off more than he can chew when he snached the batton that Roger dropped? In the almost 20 years (Yes! 20 years) since Roger claimed PF was a spent force, the boys have managed 2 albums. The first was a DG solo album put out under the name of Pink Floyd to sell a few more, with Rick and Nick dragged along for the ride to make it look official, the second was a little more legit as Rick managed a writing credit but, like the first had an array of co-writers and other musicians. So if you couple this to the lack of new output, I think David has relised that while Roger was in the group he could turn up and look a little interested and good albums would be produced. But now he is "in charge" and he had to do it all himself it's a different matter he has adopted a "who gives a f**k" attitude with regards to any new floyd material, so David, be brave and admit you bit off more than you can chew when you took over the Floyd mantle and announce it's over. This would put us Floyd fans out of our misery of checking the music press and internet everyday for any small hint that you are recording or touring again under the Floyd banner and let us settlle into a life of collecting re issues and remasters of previously released reissues and remasters and the compulsary rehashed best of's that will no doubt be released to keep you and the boys in the style you have become acustomed to.
Bluevelvet
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Bluevelvet »

Bluevelvet
Embryo

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:07 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that he is definetly chewing on something...But I wonder if he's chewing on the right bone. The thougt of it as a floyd fan dating of thirty years back, worries me as the feeling one gets when a close family member is in need of healing, or going through that process. I do not think age has anything to do with it but not allowing enough "time" or notacknowledging on time that one needs to let "mother nature" heal those old wounds; can certainly promt one to say "who gives a ****" about the very thing one loves the most. Easy to say I know, for the fact that fear can make the action of letting go, a not so easy thing to do. On the other hand if one is able to brave getting across that old courtain of memories, centering back can allow that flowing river of life-creative energy take you back to the moment where you are meant to be. And I wonder if on the first place, the Floyd's original quest wasn't self healing and freedom from any impossed boundaries. "Shine on" Brother, take your time, and remember that music is a gift given on to us(agift you sure were given in abondance) by that cosmic mother-father-thing we just can't explain. and if by such great chance we (Floyd's fans) should be so lucky, we might just once again get togther in the experince of listening to the "Echoes of the future" part one.. Love 2u all

MoreOrLess
Blade
Blade

Post by MoreOrLess »

Dave has some nerve continuing under the name pink floyd after Roger left.
Really really really really really really bad idea.
the lyrics on the division bell are ******* terrible. Mush@! He was dead, after Roger took his lyrical AND musical talent away.
David's music compositions are boring, weak, and lacklustre on the division bell. I'm sure you can all see that.
The recording on the division bell sounds like it was done in some corporate 100 storey office building, with them occupying a level to themselves and levels below for all their business crap.
What a waste of time and money.
Your view I spose but just as many if not more would claim Gilmour's work with the floyd post Roger has been better than anything Waters has done since the Wall. If you compair it to what happened when Syd left I think Gilmour carrying on post Roger is far more morally acseptable. Waters unlike Barret quit the band he wasnt kicked out it was 100% his choice plus unlike Waters in 68 Gilmour had made a large contribution to the band before the spilt. As much as I admire Waters songwritting ability quiting a band then demanding they disband is probabley the most childish thing i'v ever heard of in rock. I mean when Eric Cantona quit Man Utd he didnt demand the club close down because they would never be as good without him did he? If I was Gimour in that situation i'd have done exactly the same if only to proove Roger wrong.