Jugband Blues 16mm Promo

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
archiver1967
Embryo
Embryo

Jugband Blues 16mm Promo

Post by archiver1967 »

I wonder if members of the group can help me with some questions regarding the 3 minute 6 second 16mm Jugband Blues promotional film described in the following article.

http://www.pinkfloyds.com/jugband_blues.htm

Do all the extracts of this session that in the public domain all feature a
redubbed soundtrack? It sounds like Vernon Fitch only had access to a redubbed and non-lipsyncing version which may well have been a copy of a copy etc.

Has anyone viewed the film in its original form, complete with its
original studio soundtrack before any redubbing took place?

With regard to the so called lost and found film (copied in 1999) - Does anyone know how many 16mm original versions of the film Blackhill Enterprises produced? Is there only one copy still in existence i.e. the one mentioned in the article?

Many thanks for any background information about this recording.
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Post by dgsyd1 »

Apparently the sound on the reel was so bad, that it had to be re-dubbed using the version of "Jugband Blues" fron the Dec '67 BBC session. I'm not sure if any other copies exist, but that's the only one that's made it into the public domain. I wouldn't be surprised if Nick Mason has a copy though.
archiver1967
Embryo
Embryo

Post by archiver1967 »

There is a good reason why I'm trying to find out the rarity or otherwise of this recording.

I am in contact with the owner of the 16mm celluloid of this promo.

It is the very same one that is referred to in the Vernon Fitch article, the one that was used around the Manchester Arts Lab and college circuit in the late sixties. It is still in Manchester and has not been shown in public since 1969.

I do not know if it is the sole source for all the video copies now in existence but if no copies were seen between 1970 and 1997 it seems likely. The owner tells me he allowed two copies to be made in 1997 (not 99 as in the Fitch article) to awaken interest. Also contrary to the article the sound remains in good quality considering its age.

He is trying to get an idea of how much this item might be worth and who would be interested in it. He would like the film to be seen again in its original form to promote the band as was always intended.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

archiver1967 wrote:He is trying to get an idea of how much this item might be worth and who would be interested in it. He would like the film to be seen again in its original form to promote the band as was always intended.
Belongs to a museum doesn't it? Who did blackhill enterprises give it to when they ceased to exist?
archiver1967
Embryo
Embryo

Post by archiver1967 »

It has been in the possession of the person who promoted the band in the Manchester area since its journey up from London in 1967. Its not in a musuem or owned by one - at least this particular 16mm tape isn't. Are there other known Blackhill examples of this promotional film or is this IT?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

archiver1967 wrote:It has been in the possession of the person who promoted the band in the Manchester area since its journey up from London in 1967. Its not in a musuem or owned by one - at least this particular 16mm tape isn't. Are there other known Blackhill examples of this promotional film or is this IT?
Who owns arnold layne? That was promo wasn't it? A quick throw-together one day. I am not really an authority on such issues. Does anybody else know? :)