Genesis - Lamb Lies Down

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Genesis - Lamb Lies Down

Post by simpledumbpilot »

I am currently listening to Genesis The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway album, I must have heard this album a thousand times, I know every word to it but for some reason tonight it is the best album ever made!!!!
Last edited by simpledumbpilot on Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Yes certainly a dam fine album!!

I see Foxtrot, Selling England by the Pound, Lamb and Trick of the Tail as the Genesis classic '4' in a row.. much like DSOTM, WYWH, Animals and The Wall are to Floyd.
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Post by dgsyd1 »

You could probably make it six in a row, as NURSERY CRYME, and WIND & WUTHERING are bloody good albums too. The song "Blood On The Rooftops" from W&W is one of my favourite songs.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Well, i woke up with a huge hangover today so that explains why i was enjoying the album even more than usual :D

Im a fan of the whole Gabrial period, the ''From Genesis To Revelation'' album is probably my second fave of theirs, its very different to anything that would follow but its a great snapshot of 60s pop with a great production (even if it was by the evil Jonathan King). I quite like the first 3 albums with Collins on lead vocals too and even Duke and Abacab have their moments. Its a shame that Genesis have this terrible reputation now, theyve made some great, interesting and clever music, they deserve a bit more respect.

Oh, and i changed the subject title to something a little more relevant.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

simpledumbpilot wrote: Its a shame that Genesis have this terrible reputation now,
It's well deserved. It's the type of reputation Pink Floyd will have if there is ever a Wright/Mason line-up.
madcap69
Hammer
Hammer

Post by madcap69 »

Nothing like calling all stations :lol:
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

The output from the last 20 years or so has been....erm....questionable to say the least which is why they have the reputation they have now which is a real shame as they did so much good in the 70s.
madcap69 wrote:Nothing like calling all stations :lol:
Colonic irrigation????
Neil

Post by Neil »

simpledumbpilot wrote:Im a fan of the whole Gabrial period, the ''From Genesis To Revelation'' album is probably my second fave of theirs, its very different to anything that would follow but its a great snapshot of 60s pop with a great production (even if it was by the evil Jonathan King). I quite like the first 3 albums with Collins on lead vocals too and even Duke and Abacab have their moments..
I agree - even the album 'Genesis' which had 'Home By the Sea' on it was pretty good.. in a strictly 'pop' way.

'Invisible Touch' was pretty lame IMO, yet 'We Can't Dance' was better.. 'Calling all stations' was :-& #-o O--O :-# 8-[
SomeGhostsStepOut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SomeGhostsStepOut »

I am thinking of purchasing Genesis Live. Is that a good one?
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Gonzo wrote:I am thinking of purchasing Genesis Live. Is that a good one?
Thats not a bad place to start. But, it does kick off with one of my least favourites from that period, namely ''Watcher Of The Skies'', but from then on its masterpieces all the way and does include some of Gabriels finest story based lyrics, especially on ''Get 'Em Out By Friday'' (possibly the most bizarre tale of eviction ever!) and the sublime ''The Musical Box''. However another album worth checking out is ''Foxtrot'' which contains the magnificent ''Suppers Ready'' which is probably best described as Genesis' equivalent to ''Echoes''! it also contains the aforementioned ''Get 'Em Out By Friday''.
SomeGhostsStepOut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SomeGhostsStepOut »

However another album worth checking out is ''Foxtrot'' which contains the magnificent ''Suppers Ready'' which is probably best described as Genesis' equivalent to ''Echoes''!
Hmm...Sound promising, thanks a bunch! :D
Beatle Neil
Axe
Axe

Post by Beatle Neil »

Even though most people have heard of Genesis, 'Lamb lies down' is criminally under-rated and one of my favourite ever albums, certainly my fave Genesis lp even though I love ALL of the Gabriel period. I have a slightly rough quality 2lp b*****g of a live in England 1974 'Lamb lies down' which clocks in at nearly 2 hours as it is complete with Gabriel's monologues talking as 'Rael', the hero of our story. I'd do anything to hear some out-takes/sessions.....I know they exist.

I only go as far as 'Duke' myself, and yes, 'Trick of the tail' and 'Wind and wuthering' are also excellent.

And, regardless of what we may now think about Phil Collins, he did a superb version of 'Tomorrow never knows' in 1980. Mind you, he still hasn't told us just exactly what the f**k it is that's supposedly coming in the air tonight.

So, if you ever meet Phil -
Don't mention the painters and decorators now, will you.
hee hee
JML
Hammer
Hammer

Post by JML »

I have listened from Genesis only Selling England By The Pound and at the time I think the first half of that album is better than second. Name-track is amazing but other tracks are not as good as many others (c'mon this sentence was the most stupid I've ever wrote...)

OK... I have to try next fall both Yes and Genesis and maybe also Dire Straits (I think they did the most boring musicpieces in England, Sultans Of Swing is.... swing and there's nothing there.......... sorry :( :( )
Beatle Neil
Axe
Axe

Post by Beatle Neil »

Far as I know, Dire Straits are doing a co-headline tour with Chris Rea.

The musical Dire-Rea tour.
:D