"Golden Hair (take 5)" vocals

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

"Golden Hair (take 5)" vocals

Post by Anna-Roza »

Asked about the favourite song from "The Madcap Laughs" album, I mentioned "Golden Hair", but the second version - take 5.
There is a beautiful duo - someone helps Syd to sing it. It is definitely not Syd's voice on two tracks, like it was e.g. in case of "Baby Lemonade take 1" on "Barrett" album.
Who is it: Roger? David? Someone else? I tried to find the answer for ages, but I did not succeed. Could you help me? Does any of you know who is the second singer on this track?
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

Where is this version available? Is it on an official release or a ROIO? I haven't heard it, but could it just be a double-tracked vocal?
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

Thanks for replying my post!
No, it is an official release. There is that new edition of "The Madcap Laughs"/"Barrett" together in one box, and on each of the CDs there are many bonus tracks from the recording sessions. Some of them are rather depressing (Syd has terrible problems singing), but some of them are brilliant.
I think these bonus tracks were released for the first time on CDs in the "Crazy Diamond" box, but I am not sure, I do not have one.

This "Golden Hair take 5" version has slightly different accompaniment, and that vocals... Beautiful harmony.
I am sure it is not Syd on two tracks, because it is definitely not his voice nor his way of singing. It sounds more like David Gilmour...
And it sounds quite "raw", rather without much production. You can hear people talking in the background, breathing and so on. Just like a rehearsal. In fact, this second voice seems to help Syd stick to the right melody - it is more, let's say, steady, self-confident, quiet and peaceful, while Syd sounds there quite unsteady, but with a lot of genuine, dramatic feeling, of course.
Anyway, it is just breathtaking beautiful and very touching to me.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

golden hair take 5 is track 19 on the madcap laughs in the syd barrett crazy diamond box set.
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

I think I've finally found a satisfying answer for my question!
I have just received a copy of Syd Barrett's "Peel Sessions". There is a great song for two voices titled "Two of a Kind". It sounds very, very much like "Golden Hair (take 5)"!!!
And it was sung by Syd and David.
So, probably, that's it!
It must have been David, I guess...Well,
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Re: "Golden Hair (take 5)" vocals

Post by Flying pig437 »

I've been reading about James Joyce a bit lately and his estate is in the hands of his great nephew and apparently he never give people permission to use Joyce's work. For e.g Kate Bush wasn't allowed to quote from the end monlogue in her song The sensual world. so I wonder how things stand with Syd using Joyce's words for Golden hair