Radiohead in relation to Pink Floyd

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
The Lunatic
Embryo
Embryo

Radiohead in relation to Pink Floyd

Post by The Lunatic »

I was listening to Ok Computer yesterday when a thought came to me that PF's early style presense there!

The style of using guitar & keb if that is it!

Does somebody have that feeling! Has PF affected RH in someway?
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

Yeah, you can't miss Pink Floyd's presence in Radioheads music. I consider Pink Floyd to be the Fathers of Innovated Music. Radiohead are one of todays most popular of innovated music. Others being the Flaming Lips, Beck... Anyway here are some interviews where David makes a comment about Radiohead:

Q: What did you think of OK Computer by Radiohead?

DG: I'm a fan of Radiohead. They're really good. Actually, I prefer the one before. What's that one called? The Bends, that's right.

Source: Q magazine, June 1999
http://www.pinkfloyd-co.com/band/interv ... gcash.html

Question:What kind of music you have been listening to in the past years? Has this caused an effect on you own music?

DG: I'm constantly influenced by everything I hear. I haven't concentrated on any new bands lately. I like the Lemonheads (when they existed), I like some of Radiohead .... no I'm an old fogey I'm afraid

LOL WOW KEITH GOT TO TALK TO DAVID!-

Keith Jordan from England, UK asks: David, do you sing in the shower and, if so, what do you sing most often? Is it available from all good bootleggers??? :-)

David: I sing all the time, in the bath, I don't take showers too often, I prefer baths - bathrooms have a nice little reverb in them. I like singing the Walker Brothers on karaoke.

(Nice question Keith! :) )

Source- David Gilmour dotmusic.com webchat January 2002
http://www.pink-floyd.org/artint/gilmourdotch.htm

Here's one I found on Radiohead's site:

Question: Do 'prog-rock' values still hold their ground in the contemporary era? What is it about prog-rock that still appeals, despite it being widely treated as a genre for losers, geeks, whathaveyou?

Radiohead: prog rock is sad. and krautrock is not prog rock is more punk. queen were not prog rock. the were camp and not serious or shite enough. pink floyd moved to slow to be prog rock....

http://www.spinwithagrin.com/answer.asp

MSNLive: People have compared Pink Floyd to Radiohead and Bush and Manson and others - are there any bands that you think carry on your tradition?

DG: I think some of those bands are creating their own tradition. I think Radiohead are great but I don't think they need us for their own paths.

Source- David Gilmour Web Live Chat, 16-03-2000 8pm GMT
http://www.chez.com/pfasso/Davechatlive.htm

So there you have it. Other people think that too, and have asked him on it. I'm sure the other PF members have commented about Radiohead, I just don't remember. I think Pink Floyd, and other great bands, have shinned the light for all to see that rock music, or music in general, to be more than just a hook and some guitar licks. It would of eventually happened, but w/o Pink Floyd, and others, that path would still be very dim-
Arnold Playne
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Arnold Playne »

I have to say l agree Radiohead are the bastard love child of Pink Floyd! Thom Yorke is carismatic front man, l would like to see Radiohead do one or two covers of PF; Money, Brain Damage, Us and Them.

Astronomy Domine would be wicked sounds like the sort of song that could have sat quite comfortably on Kid A.

Take it to another extreme what about PF covering Radiohead's creep, fake plastic trees or karma police!!!

Here's another thought seeing as PF are from Cambridge and Radiohead from Oxford who would win if they had a boat race???
Diin Jaffa
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Diin Jaffa »

I just can't be doing with them, I really can't. I've listened to OK
Computer, The Bends, Kid A and Amnesiac over and over (not that i'd
ever admit that fact to anyone) because people whose opiions I respect
have told me that their music is worth listening to.However, I find
their stuff overblown, pompous, self conscious, derivative, dull...

I hear nothing but 1970s era Floyd in their first records (musically
and thematically) I did like the fact that theywere prepared to mix it
up a little with Kid A and Amnesiac and confound expectations that
they'd built up but I haven't enjoyed listening to it at all.