Neptune Glasgow Marathon: Jumpin Jakks

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
SurrogateJoe
Blade
Blade

Neptune Glasgow Marathon: Jumpin Jakks

Post by SurrogateJoe »

Hi

ooooooohhh, im getting all excited, the gig is only weeks away. We actually have a couple of big gigs this weekend too (in Forfar and Montrose, which is an obscure area of Scotland), and are all looking forward to the Neptune one.

We have been changing the band about a bit recently, so it will be good to get back to Glasgow and hopefully have a great show.

We are providing the PA and much of the backline. If any other bands reading this are coming, then please bring whatever extra gear you can, the more the merrier. Drummers should bring a snare and bass pedal, guitarists tend to bring half of a music shop anyway so not trouble there..... DI boxes, a spare power amp or so and maybe the odd extra mike and mike stand would be useful. This is a long gig, so the equipment will be running pretty hot, its nice to have a few spares to hand.

I cant wait to meet all the other acts and say hello and of course Stu.... good luck dude...... you're going to need it :)

ta ra
BigDim
Blade
Blade

Post by BigDim »

Hiya!!

We're really looking forward to this show too!

Brighton was a roaring success - we thoroughly enjoyed that one and are sure to have an excellent time this weekend also!

I play bass with Darkside, we're set to headline at Glasgow, and I was just wondering whether I'd need to bring along my bass rig? We all used it at Brigthon, seemed to do pretty well, but it's big and heavy so if it were possible to use kit already available at the venue that would be a great help.

I can always bring it just incase if there are any problems.

Hope all of the preparations are going well...

Look forward to meeting up with you all in Glasgow!!

Cheers - Jim

http://www.myspace.com/ukdarkside
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

The Killer Pylons can supply the drum necessities! As for amps... we are allready indebted to another band concerning bass rig, so if somebody could lay on some bass amp or other, that would be nice.

As for amps, I am open to anything! I normally use a Kay 50 watt bass amp as my guitar amp for a live situation.
Neil1567/2
Blade
Blade

Post by Neil1567/2 »

We're heading up to Glasgow on Saturday in advance of the show on Sunday and,naturally,we're up for a few beers.Could anyone please offer any suggestions of pubs and that we could go to on Saturday-any decent bands on anywhere? Thanks.Looking forward to seeing you at the weekend.
SurrogateJoe
Blade
Blade

Post by SurrogateJoe »

Hi

We will load our gear into the venue on Saturday night.
Good pubs around the area: Nice n Sleazy - a nice wee pub, a bit "art studenty" though.
The Solid Rock Cafe: hairy biker hang out, good fun though, plenty of goths and rockers.
The Cathouse: If you want to stay out late.........
Actually, there are loads of good pubs around Sauchiehall Street.

We will be in Glasgow on Saturday night, so we might end up in Sleazy's, which is just over the road. Our new bass player, Marco, is Italian, and only been in Glasgow for a month, so its about we showed him some of the sights as well :)
BigDim
Blade
Blade

Post by BigDim »

my breakfast. wrote:The Killer Pylons can supply the drum necessities! As for amps... we are allready indebted to another band concerning bass rig, so if somebody could lay on some bass amp or other, that would be nice.
No worries, I'll bring my rig along... It's a Trace Elliot 300watt with a small 7 band EQ. I don't mind if we all use it, means we can D.I. and mic it up and then keep the levels the same all night, making things a bit simpler for the Sound-Techs.

You know how they get! ; )

Good stuff!!

We'll be arriving sometime on Saturday to drop all't kit off, see you then!!

Cheers - Jim
SurrogateJoe
Blade
Blade

Post by SurrogateJoe »

Hi

Our sound guy for the day is called Wilson, he is very good, and stays quite calm, he does have a bit of an injury so cant really lift things (this seems to be the norm for sound techs).

Bass amp sounds good, we will keep a spare on standby. We will also keep the drum kit on stage, and the mixer-amp for the keyboards in case anyone wants to use it. guitar amps will change, but the mike and stands etc.... can all be shared as can most other things.

We still dont have our new 32 channell desk, and so we are running the 16 channell desk at the moment..... if you think you will need more than this then bring your own desk along (we have never used all 16, though we do manage to fill about 15).

Our sound guy is happy to do most of the day, but for the earlier stuff, our keyboard player and myself will help out (dont worry, our keyboard player is a qualified sound engineer and knows his way around our desk).

If anyone really wants their own sound guy, then feel free to bring them along...... though im sure Wilson will do a great job for everyone.

See ya
BigDim
Blade
Blade

Post by BigDim »

Nice one!!

Yeah I don't mind leaving my bass amp on stage all night, it should do the job fine.

Not too sure what time we'll be arriving just yet, but the overall consensus is that we're dropping all of our kit off at the venue on Saturday when we arrive in Glasgow.

We intend to leave Wolverhampton around 12 noon, AA routemaster has quoted it as a 4 - 5 hour trip, though no doubt we'll be taking a break or two along the way. I'm sure we'll be able to coordinate things further via telephone.

Looking good!
darkside_andy
Axe
Axe

Post by darkside_andy »

Hi Joe - will bring our 24 channel desk along as we will bust 16 channels!

Can anyone confirm we are OK to remove the gear on Monday morning - otherwise we will need some pretty secure overnight parking!

Andy
db_intheflesh
Blade
Blade

Post by db_intheflesh »

Glad to see there's some 'professional' help on the desk for us amateurs who don't know the first thing about mixing!

I'll be heading along early - Stu suggested we can get in from about 8? If my alarm allows me to set it to get me up that early, I'll be there to help in whatever way I can.

I'm bringing along a video camera to capture everyone (assuming we can figure out the logistics of getting 9 bands onto seven 60- or 90-minute tapes), so hopefully we can set that up at the mixing desk, assuming it's at the back of the hall. I don't know the inside of Jumpin Jak's at all. Hopefully it won't go walkabout like happened at Brighton.

David
black bobble
Knife
Knife

Post by black bobble »

you don't have to capture me - I'm sure it will only be embarrassing!!!
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

Greetings from the worlds worst internet cafe! several of us have arrived now, here we go again!

Lots to do tomorrow, cant do anything for another hour and a half tho tonight and Im bored, and still have time left on this machine so dont know what to do. Hey ho!
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

How did things go then???? 8)
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

It all went pretty well! There were some sound issues because a lot of bands were getting feedback, but that was not too serious..

The Killer Pylons's version of Interstellar Overdrive is definitely the highlight for me!
db_intheflesh
Blade
Blade

Post by db_intheflesh »

I thought the day went great. Unfortunately some of the early acts suffered from some mixing/feedback/monitoring problems, but it was still a thoroughly enjoyable day. I spent the whole afternoon worrying about getting the lyrics to Shine On in the wrong order, but as soon as I was on stage they seemed to come naturally and I really enjoyed the whole experience.

The highlight act for me was Surrogate Floyd. I missed the very start of their set, but everything I did see was impressive, especially the vocals on The Gunner's Dream, and the extended jams of Money and Any Colour. Dark Side chose some great songs to end the night with and the Comfortably Numb solo was one of the best I've seen (which includes the Gilmour and Waters shows I was at this year!). My Breakfast's bizarre guitar work on Interstellar Overdrive is definitely worth a mention, as well Jed (at least I think it was Jed - couldn't quite make out the DJ properly) who played a great acoustic medley starting and ending with Pigs On The Wing - great stuff.

It was great to finally meet a few other folk from the forum. PublicImage actually convinced me enough to give The Final Cut another try, and Stu was a true pro throughout the whole day. Looked like he was about to collapse from exhaustion in the break between the two tribute bands, but an hour or so later it was good to see him chanting "run! run! run!" to Run Like Hell. Shame we don't have a camera angle on that for the DVD! :P

Hope we get the chance to do it all over again next year!

David