Neptune Glasgow Marathon: Jumpin Jakks

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
SurrogateJoe
Blade
Blade

Post by SurrogateJoe »

Hi

Thanks all for a great day.
Apologies to the early bands for the sound issues..... the sound guy had to go and find a new bass amp at one stage and had to pop home for a few seconds too... so i tried to help on the desk while he was away, tried my best but im not an expert, luckily he got back before two lost souls (who were fantastic, i loved their set) and Jed.

I enjoyed the gig, though it felt weird not ending our set with Run Like Hell, cos we've been doing that for the last few years now (and for about 15 years before that when i played in my last band).. but it was great to play DSOTM, and Dark Side did a super version of RHL anyway.

Dark Side were a great bunch of guys, and a super set from them including a great rendition of Arnold Layne amongst many others.

Hope Stu didnt get too stressed (apologies for the assorted madness, we got there in the end). Everyone in the audience thought it was a great success and seemed up for doing it all again next weekend if they had the chance.

SO..... big thanks to: The Amber Herd, Killer Pylons, Fat Old Man, Two Lost Souls, Jed, the rest of my band (The Surrogate Pink Floyd), Dark Side, Stu, Dave, wilson and everyone else who played and helped out. thanks for inviting us, ta.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

Hi all,

Bit tired at the moment but will do a proper review in the next few days, just wanted to pop in and say a big thanks to everyone involved before going to bed. It all came together in the end, there were a few hiccups along the way but I think this has been a learning process for us all. Lots of people said how much they enjoyed the evening, it seemed to go down better than Brighton, I thought the atmosphere was much better at Glasgow and the event turned into more of a party this time around, wasnt sure if Jumpin Jaks would be the right venue for something like this but the gamble paid off and David at the venue deserves a huge thanks for all the effort he put in and and a big congratulations for not losing his mind! Thanks to Joe for taking on the 2 extra roles of engineer for the forum folks and compere and of course for putting on a cracking performance!, it was a pleasure having you on board. Was great to see the Amber Herd folks again, sorry it ended up being another tricky slot, opening something like this couldnt have been easy, loved doing Axe again, couldnt really hear much through the monitors but Im sure it sounded great, had some folks say it did anyhoo, 2 big thumbs up for the Peel dedication, very nice touch. Thanks to David Bruce for being such a great sport with all the video action and the stunning acoustic version of the Wish You Were Here album, wow! Jer (not Jed), it was a pleasure my good man! next time we'll sit down and have a proper beer together! Was nice to meet Alan, albeit rather briefly, I seemed to have a mouth full of sausage roll for most of the time we spoke :oops: Interstellar took me back to my noise band days and brought back some great memories! Great to see Roger and the family again, top bunch of folks and fantastic company!

Theres 2 groups of people that I have to say an extra special thanks to, all the Darkside band and crew for, well, being the Darkside band and crew, I cant tell you how much everything you've done for me over the past few weeks means, I'll always appreciate it and will never forget it. Just one question, how the hell are you going to top that performance of Dogs???

And then theres Simon and Anne, thanks for a great road trip! a surprisingly short one too! ;) and for being such great people, looking forward to the future!

Of course a big thanks too to our very own Mr Keith Jordan for being so supportive and putting up with all my pestering :D

We did it folks, where do we go from here??????????

More soon...
Cheers
Stu
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

simpledumbpilot wrote:Of course a big thanks too to our very own Mr Keith Jordan for being so supportive and putting up with all my pestering :D
I'm afraid I can not take any thanks whatsoever, Stu!!! I will have to give all the thanks back to you and to everyone actually involved!!!

I really cant wait to see some of the video footage of the adventures you have all been having!!!!!

Well done, Stu! I am proud of you!! 8)
black bobble
Knife
Knife

Post by black bobble »

no problem Stu - it was our pleasure
darkside_andy
Axe
Axe

Post by darkside_andy »

Hi Stu and all,

Still buzzin' if a little thread-bare after a great weekend. Top regards to all of the people that made it possible but most of all to Stu....just be glad the hotel bar was closed when we got back on Sunday!

Highlights for me were the Surrogate Floyd's girl singer doin' 'Great Gig' and some guys who did Careful With That Axe...wonder who?

Looking forward to seeing some of the evidence.

Also a major big thanks to the audience who made it a very special night.

Here's to next year
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

darkside_andy wrote:some guys who did Careful With That Axe...wonder who?
That was me on guitar, db_intheflesh on keyboards, Stu on bass and Mark from The Amber Herds on drums. Quite a good version, since we didn't have any soundcheck/rehearsal!
jonesy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by jonesy »

Glad to hear it all went well for you'se ..
maybe the dvd will have a little easter egg on there of the first trib night ... or is that gonna be on the out takes on the special eddition release ?? :wink: :D
Neil1567/2
Blade
Blade

Post by Neil1567/2 »

Fantastic! We had a really ace time.Stu was right-the atmosphere was something else! We assumed we'd be classed as soft southern jessies but everyone we met in Glasgow-that's everyone-from the people serving in our hotel bar whist we watched Scotland show us all how to play football to the people in Nice n Sleazy's on Sat night to everyone at the venue-were fantastic!! We were made to feel really welcome and we'll certainly come again if you'll have us! Sorry we had to leave just before Fat Old Man's set for the drive back to Notts.Thanks to the crew for holding it all together and particularly to Joe on the desk.You did a great job and it was an honour to kick things off! In Brighton,Rachel couldn't hear her keys but last night none of us could hear anything else but the keys so,on balance,we got a full sound over the two shows!! Thanks also to Chris and Andy from Darkside for finding the time to have a chat and for the lend of yr lights and what-not.Great to meet you Jer.Sorry we missed your set man-its sounds like it was ace! Next time... Musical highlight over the short time we were able to be there was mad Alan and his daft guitar on Embryo and Interstella Overdrive.Great stuff.Eugene was nae bad either! Finally,thanks again to David and the mighty Stu.What next,indeed, then Stu? How about Pompeii next Easter?!
Last edited by Neil1567/2 on Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
black bobble
Knife
Knife

Post by black bobble »

got to agree with Neil1567/2 about the Glasgow crowd - despite my set being shit - due to technical problems - the crowd were excellent and I had many of them coming to shake my hand and make me feel more "loved". So I'd like to thank the Glaswegians (not just in the gig) who made my weekend such fun.

Obviously another big thanks to Stu who was brilliant as ever - and has earned himself a big rest before being pestered about next year etc
SurrogateJoe
Blade
Blade

Post by SurrogateJoe »

Thanks Fat Old Man........ the sound out front was actually ok, it was just the monitor mix that played up for the first hour or so.... it got ok after that. We thought you were a great guy, and it would be nice to hear you do an hour long set yourself, would be really surreal and avant garde... just like the real thing.
black bobble
Knife
Knife

Post by black bobble »

not your fault at all - just one of those things - the problem is with backing tracks if you can't hear it you're in trouble - it would be great to come to Glasgow to do a gig - I try to keep to the spirit if not the sound of early Floyd

And thanks for your kind words
BigDim
Blade
Blade

Post by BigDim »

Where do I start??!

What an absolutely fantastic gig!!

From myself and all of Darkside can I just offer such big thanks to everyone involved, and everyone in the audience we certainly had a top show.

I am just blown away by how successful the night was and how much we enjoyed the whole weekend!!

Particular thanks must go to a few people... namely:

Joe from the Surrogate Floyd Show, you did an extremely good job both on and off stage, a real credit, ooh and all of your road crew and band, a sound addition to the line up. And thanks for giving up Run Like Hell for us, it means a lot.

David from Jak's, it was a real pleasure meeting you, all of your hard work and ernest effort behind (and ofcourse infront of) the scenes was truly appreciated, another top job!!

(?)Wilson(?),the sound guy. Thanks so much for all of your help, both setting up and controlling the p.a. I can't tell you how much it means to me as a performer to have such a friendly but unltimately a highly skilled sound engineer to ensure that us bands got the best mix and stage sound.

Finally Stu... Wow matey, it's just keeps getting better and better! If I thought Brighton was successful then Glasgow was out of this world! We really couldn't have asked for more, this was a very well coordinated and organised show, evident by the turn-out and audience reaction!

We had such a laugh in Glasgow, we were made to feel so welcome, it added to what became one of the greatest gigs I've ever played (ok, that might not be such a hard thing for a 21 yr old bassman, but honestly this is gonna take some beating!).

Unfortunately, as was the case in Brighton, we were unable to remain at the venue for the entire day. I fear the previous night's attendance in the hotel bar may have made it necessary for me to take a quick nap back at the room. Hell, I certainly needed a shower after sharing a night with Stevie G. Y'know, the drummer out of Darkside.

So yes, sadly I missed the first couple of hours of the show. Luckily we were just in time to see some real great acts though, very enjoyable!!

Thanks again to everyone, looking forward to the next NPF venture!

Cheers - Jim
Last edited by BigDim on Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
SurrogateJoe
Blade
Blade

Post by SurrogateJoe »

Stu was there at least as long as i was, poor dude :(
I got there at 9am and stayed till after midnight..... without food, but luckily with a few drinks :) ... Stu was there before me, and still there when i left.

Our female backing singer is called Alisha, her sister usually sings with us too, but was unwell and couldn't make the gig. That was the first time she did Great Gig all on her own (Tina her sister usually does the middle section) and we thought she did it perfectly.

ooooh....... i forgot, The Killer Pylons - They should get touring right away, they had loads of energy and were exciting to watch, they could really make it big, very modern yet retro at the same time, if you know what i mean.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

BigDim wrote:Hell, I certainly needed a shower after sharing a night with Stevie G. Y'know, the drummer out of Darkside.
You spent the night with Stevie G from Darkside? surely not THE Stevie G from Darkside??? :lol:
darkside_andy
Axe
Axe

Post by darkside_andy »

He has a wife you know...Do you know what her name is......?

Mrs. G, the wife of THE STEVE G from Darkside...

Stop this, it's getting too silly