Ummagumma (a Rick Wright idea)

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.

What do you think of Ummagumma?

Great, experimental sounds!
57%
One of the most careless Floyd albums.
27%
Absolute rabbish!
16%

Total votes: 56

PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

Narek wrote:I just don't like Grantchester Meadows.
omggz!

You weird person, that is officially the best song on the album!
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

I think it could've worked, but none of them had the skills needed (yet) to pull off a one-man solo project, even if it was just twelve minutes long.

Sysyphus is probably a good song to someone who likes classical music. However, I think even the classical ear would note that it was impossible for Rick to get that to sound right when he didn't have access to an orchestra, or at least a well-stocked mellotron.
Had it been done a bit more like how the band usually sounded, it would've been a hefty non-side-consuming instrumental masterpeice alongside Interstellar Overdrive and A Saucerful Of Secrets. Listen to "Project Birmingham"... if you can hear past the awful quality, you'll notice something amazing.

Roger's part could've been so much cooler, but he squandered it. Grantchester Meadows is grossly oversized, with a huge "bird loop" intro that doesn't add anything. It would've been much better if it was done the way they'd been doing it live all year; skip the long ceremonious sound effects (as Man/Journey already had a track dedicated to it anyhow) and just play the song (which is GREAT, by the way) and maybe try a Farsifa solo. Unless he can't play the Farsifa.

Several Species Of Small Furry Animals Gathered In A Cave And Grooving With A Pict is hilarious. I wouldn't change it, except maybe cut off a few of the "ka-ka-ooom-ba, eeeHMEEEeeee"s.

With the time saved here, Roger could've added on Embryo, which would've gone miles in helping the new psychedelic feel of Ummagumma.

I'm not sure what Dave was thinking with The Narrow Way, but from my point of view it seems he was busy being drunk on the power of holding the reins of production and didn't think about the attention span of anyone who would ever listen to it. Maybe if this was the same David Gilmour as in 1975 and on, it'd have gotten better reception; but this was still a Dave trying to replace Syd, not the Dave who would finally become his own guitarist mere months later for Zabriskie Point.
The Narrow Way III was AWESOME earlier that year. A listen to the Concertgebouw or BBC versions show that. Sadly, Dave tore up the catchy song and forced it into a cumbersome, reverb-filled "A Day In The Life"-esque arrangement that nearly destroyed it.
Had he shortened The Narrow Way to just the way it was live and used the rest of his space for an actual coherent instrumental, it would've helped so much. Maybe something like one of the Zabriskie instrumentals made a month later, in the vein of "Country Song".

Nick... how do I put this... um.
This actually could've been awesome if Nick had access to more percussion instruments than just his usual live drumkit. Get the man some marching bass drums, a vibrophone, some bongos, pretty much everything in a percussion marching band... and you'd have something pretty great. You wouldn't even need to cheat with the flute.

The live album doesn't quite escape my scrutiny either, although it's better off. It seems to have been mixed with the vocals too low, and some overdubbing actually made it WORSE (why not keep Dave's "woo-ooo-oo-ooo", like on PATGOD?). Also, there's some unneeded editing... and it would've been GREAT if they had a CWTAE where Roger didn't scream late. Usually, you get a very good effect where Nick does a drumfill and on the last strike Roger opens up. On Ummagumma, he plays it, Roger seems to either be mid-inhale or lost, a measure goes by, and THEN he screams.

Ummagumma could've been great, but it wasn't.
Narek
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Narek »

PublicImage wrote:
Narek wrote:I just don't like Grantchester Meadows.
omggz!

You weird person, that is officially the best song on the album!
I dunno, the song is too boring. And I believe the best song on the album is Sysyphus Part 2, IMO Rick's greatest piano/keyboard performance. Almost pwns Rachmaninoff, lawlz.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

Narek wrote:I dunno, the song is too boring. And I believe the best song on the album is Sysyphus Part 2, IMO Rick's greatest piano/keyboard performance. Almost pwns Rachmaninoff, lawlz.
It's not boring! Do you also think that Cirrus Minor is boring??

It cannot possibly pwn The Rach! Just listen to his 3rd piano concerto..amazing!

Rick's track is quite good, though. Not one of my favourites from the album, but still better than The Narrow Way! I prefer Nick's stupid, stupid drum solo!
And SSOSFAGTIACAGWAP.
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

I don't care much for Grantchester Meadows either. I think it's overrated. To me, it's just Roger trying to be Donovan, which he's not the best at.

As for the rest of the album, I really like it. Even if the bandmembers don't like it nowadays, it's a huge part of them maturing and trying to find themselves post-Syd. Would David ever have tried writing lyrics if Roger hadn't forced him to, for instance?

Well, I know he married Polly, but that's irrelevant! :wink:
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

I'm not a huge fan, although it contains the best version of CWTAE I have ever heard! :? I don't know if it's just the copy I own, but Dave's singing on Narrow Way Part 3 gets drowned-out by the guitar. Did they remedy that in later pressings? I prefer the Man & The Journey version of that song because Dave's voice isn't drowned-out.
Ton Up Alvis
Blade
Blade

Post by Ton Up Alvis »

I love Ummagumma. SO off the wall, almost unhinged at times!!!

You really need to crank up Nick's part on a good high end stereo to fully appreciate it. I really like the middle part that sounds like some really low flutes but is supect it is really cymbals mike down really low. Or a combo?

Rick's part is great but then again I am a sucker for classical music espeicially Bach and Toccata in D Minor.

Narrow way is a good sone too. Hell the whole thing is great. Just don't expect regular pop songs from it. It is more in the Zappa style.
The Gil
Blade
Blade

Post by The Gil »

The Narrow way is one of my all time PF faves!

It also has my favourite versions of 'Careful with that Axe, Eugene' and 'A Saucerful of Secrets'.
Not_Now_Paul
Axe
Axe

Post by Not_Now_Paul »

Man...I love this album to death...

the only thing about Richard Wright that I hate is The Division Bell...

I truley hated that album...

like...with a passion...

Everyone made me mad that day...

other than Roger of course....
cRaB
Knife
Knife

Post by cRaB »

great da-da rock opus.
Edel
Axe
Axe

Post by Edel »

My least favourite PF album, I'm afraid. I have listened to the whole album on a few accasions without any skipping to the next song, trying hard to like it. But no... What the hell were they thinking? :smt108
Not_Now_Paul
Axe
Axe

Post by Not_Now_Paul »

Edel wrote:My least favourite PF album, I'm afraid. I have listened to the whole album on a few accasions without any skipping to the next song, trying hard to like it. But no... What the hell were they thinking? :smt108

You really liked The Division Bell better than this?

Have you ever done drugs?
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

People are entitled to their opinions. Personally, I love DB and I don't think that aMLoR is a bad as everyone makes it out to be. I like it more than UmmaGumma, but that doesn't mean it is better. It is from a completely different era, and is a completely different style of music!
fatoldbob
Judge!
Judge!

Post by fatoldbob »

AMLoR compares very favorably to the crap that was being recorded in the mid 80s.

You had to be there to understand how bad music was in that period.
Not_Now_Paul
Axe
Axe

Post by Not_Now_Paul »

I honestly like A Momentary Lapse of Reason...

Its just...I dunno...

The lyrics on Division Bell just seemed like mediocre compared to everything else...

Even compared to David Gilmour's new solo album...