Ummagumma (a Rick Wright idea)

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.

What do you think of Ummagumma?

Great, experimental sounds!
57%
One of the most careless Floyd albums.
27%
Absolute rabbish!
16%

Total votes: 56

fatoldbob
Judge!
Judge!

Post by fatoldbob »

I wouldn't call the lyrics in Echoes the best ever written, but it has some of the best music Floyd ever recorded.
Not_Now_Paul
Axe
Axe

Post by Not_Now_Paul »

The lyrics in Echoes were the like the last set of lyrics to be written by all four members together...

I read that somewhere awhile back, I think...
HeckTo

Post by HeckTo »

The only thing I like on the studio album, is the Narrow Way.
Edel
Axe
Axe

Post by Edel »

Not_Now_Paul wrote:
Edel wrote:My least favourite PF album, I'm afraid. I have listened to the whole album on a few accasions without any skipping to the next song, trying hard to like it. But no... What the hell were they thinking? :smt108
You really liked The Division Bell better than this?
Have you ever done drugs?
Yes, I do. And no, I haven't.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Re: Ummagumma (a Rick Wright idea)

Post by moom »

Kimon wrote:What's your opinion on Ummagumma. It was one of the few Rick Wright's ideas and many fans or even band members think of ita as an absolute disster. For some other funs, including myself, it was a very interesting experiment which revealed the capabilities of each member.
they probably don't know what's a real disaster...
I think it's a genius album, totally :D I'm very keen on it
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I like this album...especially Sysyphus!!
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

especially part 4 :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

it's a very good album. The live performances are great, and the studio ones are Floyd showing their experimental and crazy side, just like K.C. did with Lark's tongues in aspic, but not as effective. Sysyphus is amazing, Narrow Way too. I'm more reserved for Roger's and Nick's numbers, but they aren't bad :)
cRaB
Knife
Knife

Post by cRaB »

It's an album u understand when u'r grown up
it's not immediate
u gotta dig it out

and at the end u gonna love it or hate it

It's one of my favourite.
vynil, of course.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

HeckTo wrote:The only thing I like on the studio album, is the Narrow Way.
Hey, I thought you said that The Grand Viziers' Garden Party is your favourite Pink Floyd song!
lovescene4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by lovescene4 »

cRaB wrote:It's an album u understand when u'r grown up
it's not immediate
u gotta dig it out
I found this to be true, as well... The entire studio disc is great; I'd rather have the live disc be from a single show, and without any alterations (also I prefer versions of "Astronomy Domine" with Barrett).
Zarquon
Blade
Blade

Post by Zarquon »

Not_Now_Paul wrote:I honestly like A Momentary Lapse of Reason...

Its just...I dunno...

The lyrics on Division Bell just seemed like mediocre compared to everything else...

Even compared to David Gilmour's new solo album...
You're having a laugh surely? If not, I value your opinion, but its a very very strange one :)

But Momentary Lapse is one of my top PF favourites :)
HeckTo

Post by HeckTo »

Eclipse wrote:the studio ones are Floyd showing their experimental and crazy side, just like K.C. did with Lark's tongues in aspic
No, absolutely not!

I think "On the Run" is Pink Floyd showing their experimental and crazy side. Ummagumma is just rubbish.
pinksmile
Axe
Axe

Post by pinksmile »

Ummagumma (the studio disc) is exactly what Pink Floyd were (and have always been) about. The soundeffects,the studio effects,the experimental approach and the general weirdness associated with their music are all well trodden trademarks used by the floyd. All of these elements which i personally love. I have mentioned this before - i think it would have been a stronger album releasing the studio half only under the title of Ummagumma,and releasing the live album on it's own under another title. I also would love to hear Ummagumma in a 5.1 mix.
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

pinksmile wrote:Ummagumma (the studio disc) is exactly what Pink Floyd were (and have always been) about. The soundeffects,the studio effects,the experimental approach and the general weirdness associated with their music are all well trodden trademarks used by the floyd. All of these elements which i personally love. I have mentioned this before - i think it would have been a stronger album releasing the studio half only under the title of Ummagumma,and releasing the live album on it's own under another title. I also would love to hear Ummagumma in a 5.1 mix.
i definitely think the studio side would benefit from a remix - in a kenwood blender with some battery acid :lol: