"Great unsung hero of the Floyd"

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.

Peter Jenner describes Rick as "the great unsung hero of Floyd". Do you agree?

Yes, I agree
90%
No, I don't agree
10%

Total votes: 62

Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by 2066 »

My favorite instrument is the electric organ, so I have to say that what got me into Pink Floyd in the first place was Rick! It was the sound of his Farfisa and Hammond organ playing that drew me into the overall ensemble sound of the band. The sustained tones of an organ are perfect for the long, moody pieces of music that the band became famous for. Seriously, it was only much later that I came to really appreciate Gilmour's guitar playing or Syd's eccentric vision or Roger's concepts. Rick got me into the band!
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

2066 wrote:My favorite instrument is the electric organ, so I have to say that what got me into Pink Floyd in the first place was Rick! It was the sound of his Farfisa and Hammond organ playing that drew me into the overall ensemble sound of the band. The sustained tones of an organ are perfect for the long, moody pieces of music that the band became famous for. Seriously, it was only much later that I came to really appreciate Gilmour's guitar playing or Syd's eccentric vision or Roger's concepts. Rick got me into the band!
You mean you still haven't got around to appreciating Nick's virtuostic drumming??
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by 2066 »

PublicImage wrote: You mean you still haven't got around to appreciating Nick's virtuostic drumming??
Doh!
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

he actually sings on some stuff, but still really underrated :(
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

Roger Waters

sung or unsung he's the hero of pink floyd :lol:
vera
Knife
Knife

Post by vera »

:smt081
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

The Gunner's Dream wrote:Roger Waters

sung or unsung he's the hero of pink floyd :lol:
Nick + Bob Close and all per-67 members are now offenced...

:lol:
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Re: "Great unsung hero of the Floyd"

Post by Flame-Sky Diver »

Rick was very important for Pink Floyd, for the atmosphere. Listen to Wet Dream, it's there. I don't like the Wakeman-type of exhibitionist keyboardist. Rick's playing has melancholy, mystery and nobility. His Hammond tone on later albums is just perfect, haven't heard many people with similar sound. And like David Gilmour, he does not play too many notes, but every note is special.
corie
Judge!
Judge!

Re:

Post by corie »

fatoldbob wrote:Us and Them is one of the best rock songs ever written.

His use of jazz chords and voicings in his piano playing sets him apart from the prog rock wizards like Emerson and Wakeman. His musicality is understated and tasteful and the perfect counterpoint for Gilmour.

He's a genius. I can't wait for his new solo project.

You took the words outta my mouth ! DITTO
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

He knew how to use that joy stick.
generalhooha
Blade
Blade
Location: Deep beneath the rolling waves, in labyrinths of coral caves.

Post by generalhooha »

He is the difference between The Final Cut and Wish You Were Here (other than Water's ego, Gilmour not caring, and the time differences [I am not saying Final Cut is bad, just different]). I think he is underrated (not on these forums though), and is musically my favourite member of the band.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re:

Post by PublicImage »

fatoldbob wrote:His use of jazz chords and voicings in his piano playing sets him apart from the prog rock wizards like Emerson and Wakeman. His musicality is understated and tasteful and the perfect counterpoint for Gilmour.
But Keith Emerson used plenty of 'jazz chords'. A specific example would be Take a Pebble from the first ELP album, which is one of the jazziest rock songs I have ever heard from a pianistic viewpoint.
Narek
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Re:

Post by Narek »

PublicImage wrote:
fatoldbob wrote:His use of jazz chords and voicings in his piano playing sets him apart from the prog rock wizards like Emerson and Wakeman. His musicality is understated and tasteful and the perfect counterpoint for Gilmour.
But Keith Emerson used plenty of 'jazz chords'. A specific example would be Take a Pebble from the first ELP album, which is one of the jazziest rock songs I have ever heard from a pianistic viewpoint.
Yes he does but Rick's use of jazz chords in Us & Them is much more tasteful than Emerson's in Take a Pebble, although I love his arpeggios in the song.
cRaB
Knife
Knife

Post by cRaB »

He's last collaboration on a real Pink Floyd track is Shine on.
It was 1975. Nothing since then and until '94.

He contributed very little imho, and it's a pitty cause he really could do more.
He lost confidence in himself or he is lazy as hell, or both.
His playing is/was distinctive but he didn't contribute that lot as you may intend.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

cRaB wrote:He's last collaboration on a real Pink Floyd track is Shine on.
It was 1975. Nothing since then and until '94.

He contributed very little imho, and it's a pitty cause he really could do more.
He lost confidence in himself or he is lazy as hell, or both.
His playing is/was distinctive but he didn't contribute that lot as you may intend.
If contributing at least one (solely written) song on every album from Saucerful to Obscured is little to you, then...