Great Gig Piano Scale

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
Narek
Hammer
Hammer

Great Gig Piano Scale

Post by Narek »

Does anyone know the exact scale(s) that the piano section of TGGITS? It goes out of scale so many times, I've go no idea what to classify it as. (I don't need it for anything in particular, but I always like to know what scale I'm playing in)
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

I think it's just G minor.
db_intheflesh
Blade
Blade

Post by db_intheflesh »

The main section (where the vocal starts, and the outro) are in Gm - just a simple alternating Gm / C pattern with some variations.

The intro and 'bridge' (which are essentially the same) are somewhat strange. Starts in Bm, but I couldn't tell you musically which key it stays in, as it jumps about quite a bit (starts Bm, F, Bb, F/A, from memory). Check out pinkfloyd-co.com for the chords (I'm sure they'll be there).
HeckTo

Post by HeckTo »

I think it doesn't stay in any key. the key changes. (in the intro)
fatoldbob
Judge!
Judge!

Post by fatoldbob »

Great Gig goes through three chord progressions in the keys of: B minor, G minor and F.

Great Gig sets up the harmony for Us and Them through Eclipse, which is all centered on D.

Up until Great Gig, DSOM mainly uses 2 chord progressions, which helps Great Gig resolve the harmony on the first side of the album.

The harmony on DS moves through the album and resolves on the D progression, which is one reason DSOM is so powerful when listened to straight through.