did rick raise his game for the wall live shows

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.

well, did he?

yay
68%
nay
32%

Total votes: 22

tea-set
Hammer
Hammer

did rick raise his game for the wall live shows

Post by tea-set »

listening to the live cd's it seems to me that rick was trying to improve on what was set down on the original recordings and maybe win his place in the band back

you you agree

proceed to talk about this subject...
Kimon
Blade
Blade

Post by Kimon »

I think that during the live shows, he could be more free to improve his parts. He was also a bit relaxed cause he had agreed with Roger and therefore he was just playing keyboards. I think that his solos are great. I adore the one on Young Lust.
I don't know if the presence of Peter Woods helped him feel more comfortable but I'm sure he (Woods) played a major role in Rick's headway.
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Sonic Destruction »

With another guy helping out on keys, I found it hard to know who was playing what. Even viewing the live footage it was not that clear.
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

When you watch the Harvested footage you can see that they are both working bloody hard during the last section of Brick Pt 2, and it pays off with some awesome keyboard solos and improvs!
Yorsh01
Axe
Axe

Post by Yorsh01 »

i guess that he wanted to prove him and the rest of the band that he had the balls (in a manner of speakin) to play those concerts... and besides, if those gig falied, he would get his pay... as he was in the payroll...
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

Maybe it's because he was out of the band and felt more liberated, but Rick was unusually vibrant on the Wall tour. It's a crime against humannity that the keys were mixed lowed than the concerts' original volume for some reason (which causes In The Flesh? to sound awful, may I point out).

Was there any reason why Rick was mixed down in ITAOT? Petty revenge? Technical errors? Someone deciding that if they were going to actually release material for once they might as well wreck it to keep fans from actually being satisfied? (It's a conspiracy. It's got to be.)
The Ballad Of Pink Floyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by The Ballad Of Pink Floyd »

Peter Wood is my favorite keyboard player, so he did help out rick alot.

on

ABITW 2 where he has the solo Rick plays the organ
Peter Wood plays the piano

The same as in Berlin Peter Wood plays a rockin solo at the organ
And Nick Glenny-Smith plays the piano there.

Young Lust, Rick plays the organ
Peter plays synthesizers and piano.

but alot of the wall keys live where done by Peter.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Floyd were paying him £11000 a night - I'd expect him to work hard for that
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I don't think so. I don't think he felt compelled to raise the bar or anything. I think Peter Woods did a lot more than people think.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

I would have sulked alot - one minute your being sacked cause your not contributing - next thing your being hired as a session musician as they want the floyd to look like one happy unit
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I still find it incredible that Rick returned after being ousted. I think most people would have told them to go jump in a lake (to put it politely). I voted for Yay in the poll, not because I think he necessarily did raise his game but because he definitely put effort into his playing at the live shows.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

snifferdog wrote:I still find it incredible that Rick returned after being ousted. I think most people would have told them to go jump in a lake (to put it politely). I voted for Yay in the poll, not because I think he necessarily did raise his game but because he definitely put effort into his playing at the live shows.
Money talks - they had just lost most their money through bad investments - so Rick needed to top up the old drug fund
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

drafsack wrote:I would have sulked alot - one minute your being sacked cause your not contributing - next thing your being hired as a session musician as they want the floyd to look like one happy unit
Perhaps, but I find it totally ironic (and wonderfully revengeful) that Rick was the only member of the Floyd to profit from The Wall tour. Hired as a salaried "session musician," he did not have to cover the losses from the tour....there is some justice!
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

drafsack wrote:
snifferdog wrote:I still find it incredible that Rick returned after being ousted. I think most people would have told them to go jump in a lake (to put it politely). I voted for Yay in the poll, not because I think he necessarily did raise his game but because he definitely put effort into his playing at the live shows.
Money talks - they had just lost most their money through bad investments - so Rick needed to top up the old drug fund
He lost as much as the others that time when their finances were mishandled. I know he was going through a divorce as well but surely he'd have made something back through the success of The Wall, even if he didn't write anything. He must have at least made as much as Nick? Or did his leaving the band mean he got sweet F.A.?
Last edited by snifferdog on Sun May 20, 2007 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

Rick profited from that tour and he was the only PF member to do so, simply due to the fact that he was a hired session musician and didn't have to cover the losses that the other band members did.