?50 to see Roger at NEC?!

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

Nah, that price is just for the tickets. There was an extra something else but I can't remember. When I get them i'll check the receipt.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

There's an article in today's Irish Indo about the price of tickets for Roger's concert in The Point. Some dreadful puns ensue

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/ ... e_id=14917

Money, it's a gas . . . fans will have to be flush to see Waters

ROCK fans may be left in the red if they want to see the creative genius behind Pink Floyd in Dublin next year.

Tickets for the Roger Waters gig in the Point are selling at an 'astronomical' ?96.25 from today.

The cost of the tickets - at ?91.25 for general admission and ?96.25 seated - is bound to infuriate fans as tickets for UK gigs for the same tour are selling from under ?45 to just under ?74.

Last night, consumer watchdogs blasted Waters and the promoters for charging almost ?100 for the Dublin 'Dark Side of the Moon' date.

Aiken Promotions was unavailable to comment on the cost of tickets to see the man it is billing as 'the creative genius behind Pink Floyd' next May. Tickets for gigs at the Point normally retail around ?60.

The cost of the Waters gig contrasts dramatically with the prices charged to see chart-topping performers, including Beyonce, who is also playing the Point next year.

Aiken also promoted Christina Aguilera's recent gig for which tickets cost between ?73.50 and ?78.50.

Tickets for its Justin Timberlake dates at the Odyssey in Belfast next April start at ?65, while Rod Stewart at the RDS in July costs between ?55.70 and ?86.25.

In comparison with the Waters tickets, Westlife at the Odyssey Arena on April 13 is a bargain basement gig. It costs just over ?48 for general admission.

George Michael is the only artist whose prices compare with Waters - although his general admission is still cheaper than Waters.

"The astronomical cost of concert tickets is a huge problem and the rarity of seeing someone like Roger Waters can force consumers to pay for them," said Dermott Jewell, Chief Executive of The Consumers Association of Ireland.

"It is time someone took a stand, somewhere along the line and people should shy away from purchasing them. I'm as big a music fan as the next and know Pink Floyd as much as any consumer out there, but you do begin to question the value of what you are getting.

"These artists deserve to be priced out of the business. The promoters sometimes give the excuse that costs are higher here than in the UK, but how can world ranking artist like Christina Aguilera afford to charge a lot less?"

The Irish Independent's rock critic John Meagher pointed out that the price for a recent Killers gig was ?44.

"Pink Floyd was an enormously popular band, but since they split up Roger Waters hasn't exactly set the world alight with his solo material," he said.

One French fan who saw the singer in Nevers, France, in July said the tickets he bought were among the most expensive he had ever purchased.

"Unfortunately, we were very disappointed with the seats that we had," he said.

"I think I was among the first to buy the tickets, and they cost just under ?166 - and to pay that only to see Roger playing on a screen.

"I think the French promoters just thought about money and took Roger's fans for sheep."

Anne-Marie Walsh
kagee
Judge!
Judge!

Post by kagee »

snifferdog wrote:
"Pink Floyd was an enormously popular band, but since they split up Roger Waters hasn't exactly set the world alight with his solo material," he said.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Classic line.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

:lol: A harsh quote.
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Sonic Destruction »

Like I say, Roger has got a huge show to cart around with him. From when I can gather the Roger gigs are the same as Eric Clapton is charging in Australia, and I bet his overheads aren't nearly as high.

How does Roger's ticket price compare with what people were paying to see David Gilmour?
kagee
Judge!
Judge!

Post by kagee »

Pat Albertson wrote:Like I say, Roger has got a huge show to cart around with him. From when I can gather the Roger gigs are the same as Eric Clapton is charging in Australia, and I bet his overheads aren't nearly as high.
Big show or not he is still charging more than bloody Christina Aquilera.

How the hell can he justify nearly ?100 a ticket?

I saw Bruce Springsteen in Dublin last week. He has a 17 piece band to pay and he only charged ?75.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

kagee wrote: Big show or not he is still charging more than bloody Christina Aquilera.
Even ?20 would be too much for bloody Christina Aguilera. Comparing His Rogness to Christina Aguilera... blasphemy! (and btw. because of my current job i?ve seen a lot of pics of the aguilera show, rog puts on a much bigger show...)
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

kagee wrote:Big show or not he is still charging more than bloody Christina Aquilera.

I saw Bruce Springsteen in Dublin last week. He has a 17 piece band to pay and he only charged ?75.
Add to that - the same show in Cork 5 months ago was only 75Euro and it's difficult to see the justification in the price hilke ..

Do the maths :

Cork - 5000 X 75 = 375000
Dublin - 7500 X 93 (average price) = 697500

322500 euro difference - now you can't tell me a dump like the Point Depot charges over 300K for hiring !! ...

Greedy bastard promoters :evil:

BTW - I was a Springsteen too - thought the crowd were a bit dead - although the Point isn't great for atmosphere anyway :?
kagee
Judge!
Judge!

Post by kagee »

wiped wrote:
kagee wrote:Big show or not he is still charging more than bloody Christina Aquilera.

Add to that - the same show in Cork 5 months ago was only 75Euro and it's difficult to see the justification in the price hilke ..

Do the maths :

Cork - 5000 X 75 = 375000
Dublin - 7500 X 93 (average price) = 697500

322500 euro difference - now you can't tell me a dump like the Point Depot charges over 300K for hiring !! ...

Greedy bastard promoters :evil:

BTW - I was a Springsteen too - thought the crowd were a bit dead - although the Point isn't great for atmosphere anyway :?
There is no justification in the price hike. Just that prick Aiken ripping people off.

I thought the crowd were a bit subdued on Friday as well but I thought Bruce and the band were amazing.

You are right about the point though. If you are anymore than 30 feet from the stage its a pretty shit venue.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

"They" seem to have worked out that if you get an artist who's a living legend, doesn't tour very often, is getting in years and (crucially in the case of Ireland) has rarely, if ever, played here. that there are enough people out there willing to shell out the guts of ?100 for a ticket.

The same thing happened a few years ago when Paul McCartney played in Dublin. It was his first time playing in Ireland since the early 1960s.
Groovybass77
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Groovybass77 »

it is pretty bad that they hiked the price, but i would pay 2,000 to get in to see Roger, it is the best show ive seen
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Add to the ?100 ticket the Plane fare from the UK and the Taxi fare from the Airport - Im gonna have to put Mrs Drafsack on the streets
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

snifferdog wrote:In comparison with the Waters tickets, Westlife at the Odyssey Arena on April 13 is a bargain basement gig. It costs just over ?48 for general admission.
But isnt that the going rate for chicken in a basket these days?

Im willing to pay a few extra quid for personality and substance.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

Further to what Ive already said I think its worth pointing out that you are not just going to see a Roger Waters show, you also get Snowy White (a man that is a piece of Floyd history that actually clocked up more miles than Syd Barrett!!! and is a respected artist in his own right, does no one else remember Bird Of Paradise breaking the top 5?), you get Andy Fairweather Lowe (erm, Amen Corner werent too shabby and hes also Eric Claptons right hand man!), Graham Broad (Procol Harum were alright werent they?), Katie Kissoon (OK I'm not sure I can forgive my mum for inflicting Sugar Candy Kisses on me repeatedly as a kid but Im sure others didnt have to share that pain and can respect her work), PP Arnold (so, no one going to mention the Small Faces then? you know, one of the most respected British groups of the 60s??, I can understand a few of the folks here letting the Electric Dreams Soundtrack slip, theyd be wrong to tho as it also features Jeff Lynne and Giorgio Moroder, and last but not least Phil Oakey, even tho the Human League were crap by then), and how about the possibility of Nick Mason also appearing? He was in a pretty good band too!! Comparing the Waters shows with such trite uninspired lineups of quiz winners and backhandered advantaged folk whos only idea of performing is to tone down Val Doonicans act is absurd!!
lovescene4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by lovescene4 »

Thanks simpledumbpilot--I wasn't aware of many of those connections (and am probably still not fully aware of some of them)... :)