Login/Registration Required To View Forum

Introduce yourself by saying hello! Also, site news/info.

Good idea to require registration/login to view topics?

Yes
41%
No
53%
Don't know
6%

Total votes: 32

Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Login/Registration Required To View Forum

Post by Keith Jordan »

I am thinking of going back to the "olden days" where you had to be registered and logged in to view forum topics!

The reasons:

1 - Reduce bandwidth and server resources from search engines indexing.

2 - Increase registrations and thus participation

Anyone got any thoughts to share on this?
Mr Tuck
Blade
Blade

Post by Mr Tuck »

I agree it would be a good move to reduce bandwidth, but i dont think it will increase registration personally. When i first came across the forum, i would rather see what it was like before having to sign up and i was able to do so. It depends whether people take time to do that or not. Why would you want to bother signing up to the forum before you have even seen what it is like.

Personally i base my decision on whether to join after i have seen the forum

But thats just me 8)
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

You make a nexcellent point. The reason the forum is "open" in the first place for all to see is for exactly that reason... oh, and search engines picking up topics to attract new visitors from searches!!

Perhaps the downloads sections should require registration and users to be logged in. That way, people and search engines can view most of the topics and people are encouraged to register to get the downloads!
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

I have the same opinion as Mr Tuck in that if I came across a forum that asked me to sign up before I could even view I just wouldnt bother. I woulld guess that many of the current members of this one have had a look around before deciding to register.
Mr Tuck
Blade
Blade

Post by Mr Tuck »

Thats a good point about the downloads Mr. Jordan. Why not do a 2-week trial period for each method. 2 weeks of having the forum open where you can browse and dont have to register, and then 2 weeks where you have to register to browse. Could do it vice versa and then see which period the most people have registered in

Just an idea :wink:
ironbaden
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ironbaden »

I voted no..... it was reading the postings that prompted me to join. :D
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

hey boss!
yknow the Gilmour forum is requiring us to login just to look today
I dont think any of the others are
is there some top secret activities the inside elite are up to in there?
MadJedi
Judge!
Judge!

Post by MadJedi »

bad idea. i noticed the gilmour thing too...
if you want more people to post about floyd and such close off the games/fun forum. it is up to almost as many posts as the Waters section :lol: alot of people only seem to post there and it takes away posts they would do elsewhere.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I sent out a link in the newsletter for people to download something from the Gilmour forum. I have set that forum to require people to log in to see how many new members join!! :o :D I won't leave it like that!!
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

I voted no, but I think I have a solution. If possible, it would be a great idea to have only a few forum sections show up when people are just browsing as "guests" and not logged in/signed up. Show only the Pink Floyd, DG, RW, General and Site sections to guests. Obviously when they sign up and log in the rest will be viewable just like other members :D
Mr Tuck
Blade
Blade

Post by Mr Tuck »

I like the sound of that 8)
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Mmm. I think I will leave it all open for now. And just encourage people to participate through the newsletter!
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

Actually I suppose that with a forum like this with so many sections, it would be pretty silly to only allow people to see certain ones until they sign up.

And where would you draw the line. If you put PF in, then you have to put DG and RW. But if you put those in, you should put Barret and Nick/Rick. And if you put general, you should put general music and site etc etc.

Ah bugger it, leave it all open so that newcomers and guests can see all, and then make a decision on whether or not to join! :D
WishIwasthere
Hammer
Hammer

Post by WishIwasthere »

I agree that it is useful to see the place before signing up. Having viewed this site was what made me join in the first place. I liked what I saw and wanted to become a part of it.

Had I not been able to have a look, I would have just passed on by. I suspect that many others would have too.
Waters Fan 60
Axe
Axe

Post by Waters Fan 60 »

WishIwasthere wrote:I agree that it is useful to see the place before signing up. Having viewed this site was what made me join in the first place. I liked what I saw and wanted to become a part of it.

Had I not been able to have a look, I would have just passed on by. I suspect that many others would have too.
Agreed need to read