Roger Waters Mother

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
UsandThem
Embryo
Embryo

Roger Waters Mother

Post by UsandThem »

:?: Was curious if Waters' mother was still alive during the release of The Wall.... If so, are there any interviews with her on how she felt about the lyrics in the album that pertain, some negatively, to her? Just a question that popped into my mind while listening to The Trial the other day.....
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I moved your topic from the Pink Floyd forum into the Roger Waters forum as it is more to do with Roger and his family.

Anyway, I had a look in The Pink FLoyd Encyclopedia by Vernon Fitch (3 ed) and there was no mention of her death in there.

It's an interesting question indeed! Is her death documented anywhere?
darkfrost12
Axe
Axe

Post by darkfrost12 »

I assumed she has been dead at least since Leaving Beirut has been written, because of the line, "my mother bless her heart." :cry:
Mr Tuck
Blade
Blade

Post by Mr Tuck »

maybe he says that because "She handed me the keys to the car" :P :D
darkfrost12
Axe
Axe

Post by darkfrost12 »

Mr Tuck wrote:maybe he says that because "She handed me the keys to the car" :P :D
good point, but he was 17 at the moment. Maybe she had a change of heart after years of sheltering, so he blessed her heart, lol. I'm not sure if his mother was dead when he wrote the song mother, because I would to write that song while my mother is still alive, ha!
henno

Post by henno »

theres a lot of false stuff out there about his mother.... people think she was like the character from the wall, a strict school teacher, where roger has said that she wasnt anything like it.... eg "Mary Waters may have overcompensated for the absence of the father, but at the heart she was only trying to do the right thing by the youngest of her three boys. She was and is a person of strong convictions (including political ones, of a strongly leftist stripe): like mother, like son"
Zack
Knife
Knife

Post by Zack »

It's pretty clear Roger's mother was little like the mother in the Wall. Yes she is still alive, at least she was the in late 80s when he did an interview with Karl Dallas he printed in his book Bricks in the Wall. He said he warned her beforehand of the Wall and explained everything.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

Keith Jordan wrote:I moved your topic from the Pink Floyd forum into the Roger Waters forum as it is more to do with Roger and his family.
Whilst it is to do with Roger and his family the root of the question is based in Pink Floyd, its a tricky one!
The Ballad Of Pink Floyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by The Ballad Of Pink Floyd »

Roger's mother still lives and she gave no criticism towards the Mother song
RogerWatersxoxo
Embryo
Embryo

Post by RogerWatersxoxo »

:lol:
nemesis11f
Blade
Blade

Post by nemesis11f »

Whatever she may be like in real life, may God bless her soul- She gave us Roger Waters. 'Nuff said.
peesea
Knife
Knife

Post by peesea »

nemesis11f wrote:Whatever she may be like in real life, may God bless her soul- She gave us Roger Waters. 'Nuff said.
I don't think that's really appropriate as both she and Roger are athiests. :lol:
pffan1990

Post by pffan1990 »

peesea wrote:
nemesis11f wrote:Whatever she may be like in real life, may God bless her soul- She gave us Roger Waters. 'Nuff said.
I don't think that's really appropriate as both she and Roger are athiests. :lol:
LOL!
burning_bridges
Axe
Axe

Post by burning_bridges »

I agree!
closer
Axe
Axe

Post by closer »

burning_bridges wrote:I agree!
ditto