Voices on the Wall

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Voices on the Wall

Post by seamusz »

So, I've always been curious if anyone knows what the little one second long voice blurb says at the very end of the wall album, right before "Outside the Wall" ends?

just curious
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

It says "isn't this where" and for In The Flesh? the first voice you hear says "we came in" giving the album a circular effect. The message obviously being "isn't this where we came in" ending as disc one starts to say one of the following:

. That the message of The Wall is eternal and people shall never cease to alienate themselves behind their own mental walls.

. That the character of Pink is sadly going to go through the process of building the wall all over again. If you interpret the album like i do the over all message is about communication and how we should reveal ourselves to one another, and to keep this story tragic it's noteable that Roger not once mentions pink having any friends or anybody who he could now communicate with after alienating himself from his wife and mother.

. Roger just felt like confusing people.
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

David Smith wrote:It says "isn't this where" and for In The Flesh? the first voice you hear says "we came in" giving the album a circular effect. The message obviously being "isn't this where we came in" ending as disc one starts to say one of the following:

. That the message of The Wall is eternal and people shall never cease to alienate themselves behind their own mental walls.

. That the character of Pink is sadly going to go through the process of building the wall all over again. If you interpret the album like i do the over all message is about communication and how we should reveal ourselves to one another, and to keep this story tragic it's noteable that Roger not once mentions pink having any friends or anybody who he could now communicate with after alienating himself from his wife and mother.

. Roger just felt like confusing people.
I just check it out, thanks. Unfortunaltly, my headphones were turned all the way up and I think that Im a bit deaf from when the drums come in on "In The Flesh". I don't suppose Roger ever commented on this message ever?
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

David Smith wrote:and to keep this story tragic it's noteable that Roger not once mentions pink having any friends
"I need you, babe...To put through the shredder in front of my friends."
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:
David Smith wrote:and to keep this story tragic it's noteable that Roger not once mentions pink having any friends
"I need you, babe...To put through the shredder in front of my friends."
Ah but they aren't his real friends if he has to act against his will rather than just acting upon his feelings infront of them are they?

I don't think Roger did ever mention that message.
Richter_M.
Knife
Knife

Post by Richter_M. »

I apologize for the bump, but it should be mentioned here: If anyone is interested, the Pink Floyd Encyclopedia has transcripts of nearly every audio blurb in all their songs. I found this particularly interesting, as I can never make out most of them on my own.
spitfire
Blade
Blade

Post by spitfire »

[quote="David Smith"]The message obviously being "isn't this where we came in" ending as disc one starts

sounds familiar
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

David Smith wrote:and to keep this story tragic it's noteable that Roger not once mentions pink having any friends .
What about the fat kid that falls flat on his face just prior to Happiest Days? perhaps Pink fell out with him due to an unremitting desire to be a control freak?
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Yeah. And didn't they run away from his during that scene anyway?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

You can listen to the clip below.

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/downl ... clip01.htm

You can listen to some others as well

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/downl ... ?id=hidden
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

David Smith wrote:Yeah. And didn't they run away from his during that scene anyway?
Thats a good question, im not really sure what they do. Do they run away or are they just moving out the way of the train? Either way they are not helping our hero so i guess they do desert him. Ive seen the film over 300 times (im sad to say that that is true) and I dont actually know what happens here for sure, anyone know anything definite?
Ridan
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Ridan »

David Smith wrote:Yeah. And didn't they run away from his during that scene anyway?
I take this as, depicting the fact that people leave you when your personal problems get in. Not a lot, take it on themselves. May be this is what Roger was trying to say.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

Let's not mix up the film with the album.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Yeah, but in neither can you claim Pink has any proper friends. Then again, that's not unusual considering he's a rock star on the road. Though you could claim he has no proper friends if he finds it necessary to act against his will, just as you can claim his wife and he never had a steady relationship or he would have talked to her more often than he did e.t.c

Pink was IMO very much at least mentally isolated (as in he can't share himself with others) through out the album/ film and as a result the wall builing process is likely to happen time and time again. People may have loved him (as shown in Outside The wall) but the way he's treated them in the past shows that this isn't a both ways affair, he chooses to be alone as a result of his childhood and his wife's affair.
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

Keith Jordan wrote:You can listen to the clip below.

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/downl ... clip01.htm

You can listen to some others as well

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/downl ... ?id=hidden
Thanks for the links, very interesting. I don't know how many tapes that I've ruined trying to get the hidden message in Empty Spaces to play so that I could hear it.