Is "Broken China" a concept album?

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
mhspiper
Hammer
Hammer

Is "Broken China" a concept album?

Post by mhspiper »

I read somewhere that Rick Wright's "Broken China" is a concept album. Is it? If so, what is the concept?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

As I understand it, it deals with a person learning to deal with their clinical depression.

But, I've never listened to it...so I don't really know.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

As far as I know, it's about depression. It starts off with childhood and finishes with death. Those Floyd boys certainly know how to make cheerful albums :P
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

Add to that, as far as I know, the storyline was later revealed to have been inspired by Rick's own wife's depression.
TheHumanDriveInHiFi
Blade
Blade

Post by TheHumanDriveInHiFi »

i think everyone should at least give it 1 listen, its very very unique in the sense of it doesnt sound ANYTHING like floyd/solo/or anything

but i love it, its a great album
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I haven't listened to this album for a loooooooong time!! I shall give it a listen this afternoon I think. The song Daybreak is beautiful. I like that one!
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I would replace some tracks on DB with some on this album...as far as concept..very flimsy, I had to read about it to discover a concept.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Keith Jordan wrote:The song Daybreak is beautiful. I like that one!
Gotta be an arse and point out that you probably mean Breakthrough, Daybreak was on the man and the journey (and was Grandchester Meadow and part 2 was Green is the Colour)

But yeah, agreed, it is a quality track. Especially on the Gilmour dvd :D
Zarquon
Blade
Blade

Post by Zarquon »

David Smith wrote:
Keith Jordan wrote:The song Daybreak is beautiful. I like that one!
Gotta be an arse and point out that you probably mean Breakthrough, Daybreak was on the man and the journey (and was Grandchester Meadow and part 2 was Green is the Colour)

But yeah, agreed, it is a quality track. Especially on the Gilmour dvd :D
Agreed! Who do you think sang it better? I really like Wrights version on the dvd :)
lovescene4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by lovescene4 »

David Smith wrote:Gotta be an arse and point out that you probably mean Breakthrough, Daybreak was on the man and the journey (and was Grandchester Meadow and part 2 was Green is the Colour)
:) Daybreak Part 2 is actually a short instrumental which follows Cymbaline ("Nightmare"), to end 'The Man.' Green Is The Colour ("Beginning") begins 'The Journey.'
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Rick singing is better than whats-her-face...

...so, is this a concept album?
Dowie100

Post by Dowie100 »

Yes it is a concept album
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Zarquon wrote:Agreed! Who do you think sang it better? I really like Wrights version on the dvd :)
Same here. Nothing against Sinead, she does a very good job, but Dave and Rick's voices have always sounded excellent together. The dvd backing vocalists are fantastic too and really add to the atmosphere of the song
lovescene4 wrote: Daybreak Part 2 is actually a short instrumental which follows Cymbaline ("Nightmare"), to end 'The Man.' Green Is The Colour ("Beginning") begins 'The Journey.'
My copy's not the full show then :( Because on it The Man ends after Nightmare and then Green in the colour comes next listed as Daybreak 2... Or at least that's how i think it happens. Been a long time since i last heard it anyway
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

David Smith wrote:My copy's not the full show then :( Because on it The Man ends after Nightmare and then Green in the colour comes next listed as Daybreak 2... Or at least that's how i think it happens. Been a long time since i last heard it anyway
theres a lot of earlier versions of that Concertgebouw show that were edited down to an hour
presumably for easier radio formating
the first version I heard ommitted Teatime and the percussive instrumental bit (Work?) that preceds it
as well as the 2 minutes of sound effects that follow Cymbaline, clocks ticking until an alarm rings, I think thats the Daybreak reprise
lovescene4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by lovescene4 »

J Ed wrote:
David Smith wrote:My copy's not the full show then :( Because on it The Man ends after Nightmare and then Green in the colour comes next listed as Daybreak 2... Or at least that's how i think it happens. Been a long time since i last heard it anyway
the first version I heard ommitted Teatime and the percussive instrumental bit (Work?) that preceds it
as well as the 2 minutes of sound effects that follow Cymbaline, clocks ticking until an alarm rings, I think thats the Daybreak reprise
I think perhaps you're right: the clocks are separately indexed as "Daybreak Part 2" on Harvested releases of Royal Festival Hall, 14 April (early and more improvised, 'The Man' doesn't include Cymbaline) and Concertgebouw, 17 September. However, the Royal Albert Hall show of 26 June has a transition out of Cymbaline which seems like something else... perhaps just that, a transition.