Deep Meaning of Lyrics

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
doraj_vimal
Embryo
Embryo

Deep Meaning of Lyrics

Post by doraj_vimal »

I'm a new fan of Pink Floyd. I'm primarily attracted to the Floyd is because of the Music (its power and the emotions it evokes) but more often than not I'm not able to understand what's the deep meaning of the lyrics. I believe that there is some theme associated with every song and every album and I've not been able to get to see the videos except that of The Wall. Can anyone tell me from where I can get the information about the background of the songs and the deep meaning/message it means to convey.
:?:
Piper
Knife
Knife

Post by Piper »

The theme of insanity is a common one in the Floyd albums, inspired by the tragic acid-fueled fall of their original frontman Syd Barrett into mental illness. For information on the Floyd get Nick Schaffner's book "Saucerful of Secrets", it tells the history of the Floyd and should fill you in on most of the album backgrounds. Also there are plenty of websites including this one that will tell you plenty of Floyd info.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

The book which one's pink costs just over a jack (5 pound for anyone outside Britain) and has an analysis of all the lyrics from DSOTM to TFC.
enigma00
Axe
Axe

Post by enigma00 »

While Roger Water's may have had certain intentions with the meaning of the lyrics, it is just as important for each of us to form our own ideas of what the "deep meaning" of the lyrics are. If you look at the lyrics of each song, and interpret it, you can find many different and very interesting meanings.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

enigma00 wrote:While Roger Water's may have had certain intentions with the meaning of the lyrics, it is just as important for each of us to form our own ideas of what the "deep meaning" of the lyrics are. If you look at the lyrics of each song, and interpret it, you can find many different and very interesting meanings.
Agreed, I think its better to take the songs by what they mean to you, that way its a lot more personal and you can derive a certain satisfaction of having something that is special to you. However if you do want a full track by track account then Andy Mabbett's Complete Guide To Pink Floyd gives you a track by track analysis of every song and in some cases even some insight into the recording of the piece, its a much easier reference piece than all the over books on Floyd and is a pretty good place to start, altho I should point out the others are more detailed this does however give you the jist of what you need to know. And hey, its only a fiver and fits on your cd shelf!