Live take of "Breathe" by Breathe

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
bald_fat_bloke
Axe
Axe

Live take of "Breathe" by Breathe

Post by bald_fat_bloke »

Hey dudes

We finally got around to digging some tracks out from a Korg digirecorder & here's the result

http://www.breathefloyd.co.uk/Demo_trax/Breathe.mp3

This was recorded at a live show down in Faringdon near Oxford in August last year - I'm sure we could have got it together quicker but we all suffer from instructionbookaphobia!

Best regards

Dave & all at Breathe Xx
http://www.breathefloyd.co.uk
bald_fat_bloke
Axe
Axe

Post by bald_fat_bloke »

Like buses, they all come along at the same time, eh?

However this one is for the meantime exclusively available to both Neptune & Pinkfloydine Forum members.

http://www.breathefloyd.co.uk/Demo_trax/Great_gig.mp3

Jill Palmer - Vocal

We're putting together a DVD of the gig from whence these renditions originated - almost finished!

This is part of the soundtrack, again recorded in Faringdon

Dave
Craig Marion
Blade
Blade

Post by Craig Marion »

Sounds very nice. I am in a Pink Floyd tribute band as well and understand the effort put in in trying to emulate the Floyd sound.

Good job.

http://www.braindamageband.com
bald_fat_bloke
Axe
Axe

Post by bald_fat_bloke »

Thanks for your support dude - I agree with you wholeheartedly, it's worth the efforts (usually when one has time for reflection or when getting feedback from the punters, not when you're sweating your nuts off under a monitor amp trying to work out which cable has failed) - you're doing it too, so you know where I'm coming from.

Just checked out your website & it is slick, slick, slick

Nice one - Shine on!

PS - which track that's in your set would you say that gets the most "suprised" reaction?
Craig Marion
Blade
Blade

Post by Craig Marion »

We just started doing "Corporal Clegg" and the audience went nuts when we finished, which to me was a nice surprise. Obviously we had quite a few old school Floyd fans in the audience. A close second would be "Great Gig In The Sky" everyone always goes crazy when we play that number.

Keep up the good work.

I was checking out your site as well very nice! 8)
bald_fat_bloke
Axe
Axe

Post by bald_fat_bloke »

Hi Craig

Yeah, GGITS is always a showstopper for us too - thanks to the lungs of the bird who sings with us. I'm just starting to consider bed now - spent the evening working on Echoes - I'm hoping that people are gonna like it; it's strange, for me, playing a song that I've been reliving in my head ever since 1973 it's full of hooks that haunt - it would possibly be easier if I'd never heard it before & was relying on the dots - I keep rushing to get to fills that I KNOW are in there - but I'm premature!

Breathe mainly focus on material that came later coz we are an 8 piece & it's nice to involve everyone in all the songs that we do on stage - I'm thinking that a female vox won't be too out of place singing along on Echoes - is it Rick or Dave that does the high harmony? All our other male vox's are struggling to hit it.

I have pliers in my gig bag but.... well that's another story

Best regards

Dave
mhspiper
Hammer
Hammer

Post by mhspiper »

I'm attempting to form a Floyd tribute band, but my fellow band members aren't as willing:) I'm posting because I saw the mention of female vox in "Echoes." I know that in '75 the female backup singers sang with Floyd during that song. I think it would be cool to have. I'd love to hear it!
darkside_andy
Axe
Axe

Post by darkside_andy »

Hmmm not so sure about the female vox OR using the full orchestra on this one. You guys have a great full sound for the later stuff but may struggle to get that real edge to the earlier stuff if you do the full monty and may by necessity rehearse out the 70's Floyd feel. Personally I'd go for the 4 man floyd version and give the others a well earned break for 20 mins! Great song to play though and good luck :-)
bald_fat_bloke
Axe
Axe

Post by bald_fat_bloke »

I know what you mean about the feel from really early stuff Andy - we toyed with a few tracks & really didn't find so much joy from them as the later material (what we do HAS to give us some fun too as we're not doing it to wholly finance our lifestyles) But have you listened to the orig from Meddle recently?

Because one of our keys players is tied up with a big project at the moment we've done most of the work with just the one & he'd need to be an Octopus to hit all the hooks that made that track special to me when I first heard it at 13yo - we've also found enough guitar parts to almost justify another member but we came back from the brink just in time!

It was actually listening to you guys in Brighton that made me think that Echoes could work for Breathe too - YOUR FAULT - N'YA!!!

:D
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

Just an idea but Jill could play the sax parts ala the 1975 live versions, this could piss off the purists tho because it happened so rarely and the less obsessed might not get it but I think it might be an option???
bald_fat_bloke
Axe
Axe

Post by bald_fat_bloke »

Gonna have to hear that before we commit to it (I'll check with the guys) - can you bring me a copy when we see you down in Hove Stu?
BigDim
Blade
Blade

Post by BigDim »

bald_fat_bloke wrote:he'd need to be an Octopus to hit all the hooks
I dunno...

Take the 'Pompeii' version of 'Echoes' for example. Rick didn't seem to be finding it too difficult to pull off that track, and in my opinion it was an absolutely blistering performance!

However, I have been told that the mix may well have been over-dubbed, so maybe the sound isn't as genuine as I'd first thought.

Top track though, and given that the chances of multiple over-dubs and backing tracks were possible at the time of recording I imagine the band would have simplified the arrangements to play live anyway. - I'm sure someone will pipe up and indulge us on the exact arrangements and recording procedures anytime now.

There's something to be said about a band that bring that truly 'live' feel to their performance.

That's what I feel is the single greatest thing about live music - a real atmosphere and copious amounts illicit substances...

Ok, the two greatest things about live music - a real atmosphere, copious amounts illicit substances and girls taking their tops off...

Ok, ok the three greatest things about live music - a real atmosphere, copious amounts illicit substances, girls taking their tops off and maybe a bass solo or two...

etc. ad nauseam.

Ps. Dave, you wouldn't be related to our drummer by any chance would you? Stevie G outta Darkside - ring any bells?
bald_fat_bloke
Axe
Axe

Post by bald_fat_bloke »

hey BD

If ONLY that could be true, but surely it'd be just TOO much for a boy to hope for.
Craig Marion
Blade
Blade

Post by Craig Marion »

We have 2 female vocalists and just started doing Echoes and we have them stand this one out. Myself and the other keyboard player do the Dave and Rick part.

Personally I like it better this way. We tried with the female singers and didn't like the feel.
W1P
Blade
Blade

Post by W1P »

Great Gig seems to bring down the house every time (and we've had 5 different women do this for us over the years). Here's our current Great Gigstress

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rhM9tJz ... 6A&index=0