interpretations on pink floyd songs

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
informat
Embryo
Embryo

interpretations on pink floyd songs

Post by informat »

hi to all of you pf fans...i'm new to this band and i would like you to send me(if u have)some addresses of websites that are trying to analyze their songs...if you have the interpretations of the pf members itself i would be very happy if you'll send it to me...thanks!!!
ObscuredEchoes
Judge!
Judge!

Post by ObscuredEchoes »

Okay- you're obviously a rookie Floydian... The beauty of the Floyd is that their music is not outer space- it's inner human, and it's got something that everyone can relate to. Don't rely on the interpretations of others- it only detracts from the personal experience. Listen to as much of it as you can get your hands on, beginning with Syd's stuff. Listen to the solo works, as well- they've all got something to say, and it all comes down to life's little lessons and the way we all journey through it. There is no wrong interpretation; it's different for everyone.
Charade I am
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Charade I am »

Amen
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

I couldn't agree more, I hate it when people think that they KNOW the interpitation of a Floyd song. However, finding out the history of the band and the individuals can give you invaluable insight on deeper meanings of songs and albums.
One last piece of advise, listen to albums, not songs. IMHO you cannot do a greater injustus to Floyd music than to pick up the wall and start with Comfortably Numb, or Hey You which are better well known songs off the album. The best way to take PF is one album at a time. Don't expect to love it all at once either, give it a couple of listenings to before you decide whether or not you like it. When I first bought The Final Cut, I was badly disapointed, but after a few listenings it quickly became a favorite. Just a bit of info from someone who began listening to PF only a few years back.
Good Luck!
nightmare
Blade
Blade

Post by nightmare »

you can probablly find what you are interested in on the net or in the various books but what i like most about pink floyd is the fact that everybody can interprate their music in his qwn way, so maybe you should listen more to their music and try to find out what are they talking about, you will not be wrong if someone has different oppinion about some song than you have. but then again that is just what i think.
RogerWatersGirl
Blade
Blade

Post by RogerWatersGirl »

I agree with your thoughts 100% Seamusz, that's exactly how I feel and when I first listened to some Flyod albums, I dind't like them, now, they're my favs and I never just listen to one Floyd song on each album, you have to listen to the whole thing and just relate to it...I can relate to thier music, and I found that out by just listening...YOu have to do it yourself, and you'll get lots of joy of it!

You'll see!!!!!!!! :D
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

ObscuredEchoes wrote: There is no wrong interpretation; it's different for everyone.

Really?

So...if I were to say that The Wall is about building a perfect summer home off the eastern coast of Germany, then I am not wrong?

Roger Waters has made every effort since DSOTM to make sure that his lyrics cannot be misconstrued. He's done everything he can to make sure the listener understands what he means and that there are no "psychedelic blobs" in his lyrics.

I think there ARE wrong interpretations...for example, there is a misconception that Comfortably Numb is about shooting heroin.

Would you say that this interpretation is NOT incorrect?

Would you say that it's not incorrect to assume that The Final Cut is ONLY about the death of Roger's father? I mean, isn't there enough information in the lyrics to conclude that, yes...Roger's father IS mentioned...but he's not the only one?

So...if I were to say that the album The Final Cut is all about Roger's bad experiences with Alan Parker and nothing more...am I correct?

You might as well try to convince me that DSOTM is about lunar exploration.

But if that's my interpretation, I cannot be incorrect, then, can I?
dogs_pigs_n_sheep
Knife
Knife

Post by dogs_pigs_n_sheep »

There is certainly a WRONG interpetation. Good point Mos. I have heard many VERY wrong ones in my day. Some by people who consider themselve big fans. The CN one you mentioned is very common.

I love when someone tells me that Roger Waters went insane and they made a movie about it.
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

I would like to offer that although there is certainly a message that Floyd songs try to get a cross, or interpitations of the songs that are correct in the sense that its what the artist meant. However, the thing that I like about Pink Floyd is that most of their lyrics are abstract enough that any interpitation (thoughts about or feelings about) that you come up with, although not what the artist meant, is fine becuase the music is meant to envoke thought and feelings. So if a song inspires feelings, even though they were not intended by the artist, how can it be incorrect?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

seamusz wrote: So if a song inspires feelings, even though they were not intended by the artist, how can it be incorrect?

With all due respect, seamusz...you answer your own question.

"Correct" implies that which the artist intended.

Therefore, if it's not what the artist intended, it is "incorrect."

Roger Waters has stated that he has no problem with people interpreting his lyrics however they like...at least then they're using their brains to some degree, I suppose...but I prefer to discover the LITERAL meaning of the lyrics.

That's just my own idiosyncracy. I'm sure others share it...but not everyone.

I disagree with you, however, in your contention that the lyrics are abstract...I find them to be VERY specific from DSOTM onward. Now PRE-DSOTM, however is a different story.

This all reminds me of an argument I used to have with my ex. She contends that "perception" are what make up reality. It's perception that is important. She also doesn't believe in an objective reality...which makes me wonder what she's perceiving, then.

She asks how a perception can be wrong.

Well...if you're a raving lunatic, but I spend two minutes with you and perceive that you are a lucid, rational person...then my perception is wrong, isn't it?
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

I think that you make a good point Mosespa, I guess that I think of interprating as explaining what the song means to you, not stating "this is what so-and-so meant when he said this" in which case you are most definately right. I just think that Pink Floyd's lyrics, up to probably The Final Cut, are very abstract in that if you don't have any background on the album, there are a million different conclusions you can make into the meaning of the album.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Fair enough, I suppose.

Yes...I realize that this post was unneccessary...I'm just trying to wall paper this place with pix of JLA.
Arnold Playne
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Arnold Playne »

The only song l am 100% clear on is SOYCD.

As for anything else...well... tey have their own personal meanings to me.

l will no divulge but the meanings but the songs are: Astronomy Domine, Insterstellar Overdrive, Echoes,The Great gig in the sky, Brain Damage, On the turning the way, high hopes.
JML
Hammer
Hammer

Post by JML »

Arnold Playne wrote:The only song l am 100% clear on is SOYCD.

As for anything else...well... tey have their own personal meanings to me.

l will no divulge but the meanings but the songs are: Astronomy Domine, Insterstellar Overdrive, Echoes,The Great gig in the sky, Brain Damage, On the turning the way, high hopes.
There is meant meanings, put by band members but for me, the meaning and feeling I put in the music makes me dog or not dog music. For example many people hate Maxwells Silver Hammer (by Beatles) because it's about murderer and words are nasty, but I like it because it has something else for me (in Finnish version it's about baker called Pauli).

DSOTM is great record having sex but the meaning of that record is nothing sexy (IMO)... and it doesn't mind me if someone thinks that Wish You Were Here -record is about a rich man shopping in Oxford Street.