The final cut

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Powderfinger
Judge!
Judge!

The final cut

Post by Powderfinger »

What do you think of the final cut. Is it really a Pink Floyd-album or is it Rogers solo-album?

To me, Roger seems a bit obsessed with WOII. And some parts of music are just copied from The Wall.
It has quite good lyrics, otherhand.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

I like the album, i really do. The only real problem i have is that at times it's placing cocept over content. The lyrical side of the album is great but so much more thought could have been put in to the music in parts. Like The Hero's Return for example. Also i would have liked to have heard Dave singing a bit more.

Still, it's a damn good album anyway.
spitfire
Blade
Blade

Post by spitfire »

Although this is not one of PFs most popular albums, i find myself playing this quite a lot.

I think this is a realy good headphones album, and very topical at the time of it's release with the Falklands references.

I was in the Marines, and strangely enough this was frequently heard in barracks.

I gave it 9 out of 10 on the other post.
Piper
Knife
Knife

Post by Piper »

The Final Cut has some of Roger's best poetry in his lyrics, IMO, but as has been mentioned before the musical side of it is rather dull. That is kind of the problem I've had with many of Rog's post-Floyd albums, they all have great lyrics but the music is mediocre. Sort of the flip-side of post-Waters Floyd, isn't it?
Ridan
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Ridan »

I like the album. Though you can hear the desperation and hatred for war in Roger's voice very clearly...it's a good album no less.

I personally would like to hear Gilmour sing in it. And yeah it does lack a bit on the music front. :)
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I don't think it lacks on the musical front at all.

Let me explain:

Yes...the music is stark and bare...it's SUPPOSED to be. The music reflects the tone of the lyrics...it's a stark album.

It's not supposed to be lush and trippy.

The album deals with the betrayal of the post war dream in that "the powers that be" have discovered that war is good for the economy...thus, commerce becomes more important than people. It deals with the part that each of us play in keeping the cycle of "war leads to economic boom leads to economic recession leads to war leads to economic boom leads to economic recession leads to war leads to...," ad infinitum. It deals with the guilt of realizing that one is part of that cycle...but this realization does not lead to one doing anything to change that cycle. And the album deals with what that cycle will inevitably lead to...total destruction, whether it be of the planet or of the individual.

This is not an album you want "comfort" music on. It's not an album designed to comfort, it's an album designed to shake one up and make one realize what's going on.

The Final Cut is Roger Waters grabbing the listener by the lapels and screaming in his face "LOOK AT WHAT WE'RE DOING...LOOK WHERE THIS IS GOING TO LEAD IF WE DON'T DO SOMETHING!!!!!!!!"

What would be the point in couching that message in "Hey man, everything's quite cool" music?

It's a perfect album as it is.
Richter_M.
Knife
Knife

Post by Richter_M. »

It's a beautiful album, one of my all time favorites. I believe it has the finest rock lyrics ever written, and really some great musical moments to boot. Certainly an underrated Floyd album if there ever was one! I know if AMLoR ever gets dethroned as my favorite Floyd album, it will be TFC that replaces it.

And by the way, I certainly do consider it to be a true PF album, just as I do TDB.
ObscuredEchoes
Judge!
Judge!

Post by ObscuredEchoes »

Definitely one of my all time favorite albums... The first time I listened to it, I was completely in awe. As soon as it ended, I played it again...and again...and again...I always listen to it alone, tho, as most people I know just wouldn't, couldn't get it. As a matter of fact, I usually prefer to Floyd alone... it's kind of a spiritual thing, with me.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

I would say TFC is pretty much as good as an album based around low musical front and a "stark" style can be, though i wouldn't say that any album based around that could be as good as an album that combines great lyrics and great music like DSOTM.

This is much in the same way that i don't think the best gangster film ever could be as good as the best drama film ever, i don't like music that places concept over content to much and for this reason albums like TFC just don't appeal to me as much as albums like DSOTM and Meddle. For the style it aimed at i feel it did very well although i wouldn't say it's a brilliant style to concentrate a lot less on the music just to get the concept across.

DSOTM i feel to be the stronger CONCEPT album and the stronger album, and it's music was first class. TFC was still a brilliant album but i feel it could never be considered a total classic because of the emphisis it places on concept over music. Just my opinion though.
Powderfinger
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Powderfinger »

David Smith wrote:I would say TFC is pretty much as good as an album based around low musical front and a "stark" style can be, though i wouldn't say that any album based around that could be as good as an album that combines great lyrics and great music like DSOTM.
I agree with that, the lyrics are good, but the music is not very good. For a good (=Pink Floyd) album it has to have both good lyrics and music.
David Smith wrote:Also i would have liked to have heard Dave singing a bit more.
He only sings in Not now John, isn't he? His voice doesn't seem very suitable for the soft-almost-whispering-sound of the album, but in some parts, he could have sung.
Spirit Catcher
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spirit Catcher »

It's ok with me