A NIGHT'S ENTERTAINMENT ? OR A NIGHT'S EXTORTION ?

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
pinksmile
Axe
Axe

A NIGHT'S ENTERTAINMENT ? OR A NIGHT'S EXTORTION ?

Post by pinksmile »

Could someone please tell me why concert tickets to see Roger Waters in 2007 cost so much ?. I paid 150 Australian dollars for a seat ( about 110 US ) near the back of the bloody venue in Sydney' and feel somewhat pissed off at the fact i actually went through with the transaction. ( yes' i know no-one forced me to go out and buy them' and yes' the quadrophonic speaker set-up should help bridge the gap ) Merchandise will no doub't suck every remaining dollar from my person also. I realise tickets for the 2006 tour were also very pricey. My point is that 20 years ago or so' Roger Waters himself said in a filmed interview that concert tickets ' merchandise etc. is over priced ' and if the whole game is not about making money why don't they charge "5 dollars a ticket". Well said. That would be around 20 dollars a ticket by todays standards. Roger was no 20 year old kid when he made that statement either ' to look back now and blame his naievity about the music business. So how about it Roger ' Roger's management ' Roger's promoter Roger's whoever ?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Supply and demand!

Limited supply + high demand = high price
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

That's what it boils down to. If the promoters thought nobody would pay extra for Roger, they wouldn't charge it. And I suppose Roger would fall into the much hackneyed category of living legend. I remember when Paul McCartney played Dublin a few years ago for the first time since the early 1960s, the ticket prices were extortionate as well. But people were more than happy to shell out for a Beatle who might not pass that way again.
henno

Post by henno »

also remember that ticket prices are NOT set by the artist.... theyre set by the promoter...

hense the whole Pearl Jam v ticketmaster court case.....
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

It's incredible how overpriced Roger shows are. Visually it isn't that impressive, the vocals sometimes aren't even live and the band hasn't done anything diffirent for the whole tour. (The same goes for Paul McCartney, although at least Paul bothers to stay live, make a few setlist adjustments, and talk to the crowd... even if he says the same things to the crowd every day).

Doesn't the venue make far more money than ticket sales on consessions, anyhow? It's crazy how for 25$ I can (and do/will) go to a They Might Be Giants, DEVO, or Weird Al show, be less than a meter from the band, and hear a much more inspired performance, unique setlist, and impressive visuals. Heck, for that price for Sean Lennon you could even carry on a conversation with the man between songs.
Frinkium
Blade
Blade

Post by Frinkium »

:lol: I really wanted to go to the Sydney show too, but $300 for 2 tickets plus having to drive for 3 hours to get there and paying for a night's accomodation as well was just getting out of hand so I canned the idea. But I'd probably pay that much to see David Gilmour at a decent venue.

These ticket prices aren't especially outrageous compared to other big acts these days, so it's just how the industry works.

In this case I don't think it's really about supply and demand, because tickets haven't sold very quickly and there are still some available (admittedly, demand is slower because they're overpriced, but it's still a case of "Roger who?"). Acer Arena can hold about 15,000 people. Tickets for the recent U2 concerts were similarly priced to Roger Waters, yet they sold over 200,000 tickets for their 3 Sydney shows at Telstra Stadium, the first 2 shows selling out within an hour of going on sale - you can argue a case for supply and demand there, but I don't think so with Roger Waters. A few dedicated fans and overpaid yuppies won't bat an eyelid paying too much, but I don't see much demand to justify the ticket prices.

I'm no fan of Acer Arena as a venue either, although the view and sound from the better seats probably isn't too bad, as long as you're not at the sides or up in the top tier, because the sound bounces around a lot. But I'm sure it'll still be an awesome show.
lovescene4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by lovescene4 »

It does seem to have gotten a bit out of hand. I've seen Roger live once, in 2000 at Irvine Meadows Amphitheatre. On the day of the show, tickets were still available officially--I don't remember exactly how much my ticket cost, but I felt surprised at how inexpensive it was... I think around $28. Great outdoor show (very bare bones visually, just a simple screen with stills projected).

I had wanted to attend a Gilmour show in 2006, but all tickets sold out before they went on sale. :-s
Darkest Side
Axe
Axe

Post by Darkest Side »

You can't blame the promoters though. I mean, they know that we really want to experience a Roger Waters concert (I too paid for tickets in Melbourne), so they will capitalize on it when they can.

When you add it all up (the accomodation, meals, transport, MERCHANDISE) it really does end up costing you a lot of your hard earned cash.

But I am prepared to pay, because really, it will be a great experience.
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Sonic Destruction »

This seems to have come up before. Yeah, I couldn't believe that I parted with $400 for my ticket to the upcoming Auckland concert, but if it is anything like the "Tripped Out In Cork" gig, it will be worth it for a once in a lifetime experience.

A couple of years ago I went to see Deep Purple for just $80 or so, and I was so close to the stage I got to shake hands with Roger Glover in between songs. Obviously Rog is far more expensive, and I know I won't be quite so close. However, when you look at the size of the show he is bringing over, it must be bloody expensive to keep it on the road. Compared with Roger, Deep Purple just zip around the globe with "a few red lights and a few old beds"; they could probably get away with carrying their stage equipment with their hand luggage. So okay, RW is more than five times the price, but he will be bringing five times the show with him (I hope). Eric Clapton's tickets are the same price as Roger's, and I bet his overheads would not be anywhere near as expensive.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I have no regrets about exercising my freedom of choice and buying the ticket whose price is determined by the laws of the marketplace.
Groovybass77
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Groovybass77 »

its a show you will never forget, i still remember it like it was yesterday. despite the cost, it is definitely a worthwhile investment. I paid $130US each for my pavilion seats, it wasn't outrageous at the time but when i take a bunch of family and friends with me it added up.
ironbaden
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ironbaden »

Is there an opening Act on this Tour?... at least with the Stones we Had Alice!! and tickets were around 150
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

lovescene4 wrote:It does seem to have gotten a bit out of hand. I've seen Roger live once, in 2000 at Irvine Meadows Amphitheatre. On the day of the show, tickets were still available officially--I don't remember exactly how much my ticket cost, but I felt surprised at how inexpensive it was... I think around $28. Great outdoor show (very bare bones visually, just a simple screen with stills projected).

I had wanted to attend a Gilmour show in 2006, but all tickets sold out before they went on sale. :-s
1. the dark side of capitalizm :(
2. now THAT's a sold-out :lol:
3. lovely avatar :D
FloydCouncil
Hammer
Hammer

Post by FloydCouncil »

I paid around US$72 for regular standing tickets for Roger's gig in Dubai. I'll also (obviously) pay for airline tickets, plus accommodation for a few nights in Dubai. Its likely its going to end up costing me quite a bit.

But I've been pretty much waiting for this for over a year, and I think this is the only chance I'll get to see any Pink Floyd member... so I think its going to be worth it - for me at-least.

Now I just hope everything goes smoothly. I really want this!
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

ironbaden wrote:Is there an opening Act on this Tour?... at least with the Stones we Had Alice!! and tickets were around 150
No just Rog
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I hate to say, I wasn't impressed when I saw Roger in September. I prefered the aMLoR tour. And wish I'd seen Gilmour for the money spent. The onlything I may remember from Roger's show is the astronaught (even then, it was a bit small).