A NIGHT'S ENTERTAINMENT ? OR A NIGHT'S EXTORTION ?

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Sonic Destruction »

FloydCouncil wrote:I paid around US$72 for regular standing tickets for Roger's gig in Dubai. I'll also (obviously) pay for airline tickets, plus accommodation for a few nights in Dubai. Its likely its going to end up costing me quite a bit.

But I've been pretty much waiting for this for over a year, and I think this is the only chance I'll get to see any Pink Floyd member... so I think its going to be worth it - for me at-least.

Now I just hope everything goes smoothly. I really want this!
Yes, my own thoughts exactly!
ultraviolet
Blade
Blade

Post by ultraviolet »

The most I've ever paid for concert tickets was for U2 and Rog is expensive even in comparison with that, but for me it's going to be worth it. When PF last toured I wasn't old enough to be really into the music and I haven't managed to catch either Rog or Dave solo since then, so it's a great opportunity and I'm really looking forward to it. What I wouldn't pay if PF reunited though!!!
thrill-seeker
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thrill-seeker »

I would go away satisfied and felt the price was worth it if the show was in some ways different from the ones last year. Perhaps a couple of different songs this time wouldn't be hard for him and his band to do.
peesea
Knife
Knife

Post by peesea »

Ticket prices? Floyd/Waters have always been at the upper end of pricing, and rightly so. He is paying the wages of a (very) large crew of both performers and techs.

He probably isn't going to do much better than break even. The only way to really make decent cash is to sellout stadiums and Roger can't do that. Only the Pink Floyd brand name can.

You all have a choice to make. Do it or don't do it...shell out, or not. If wierd Al floats your boat, then go ahead and choose him. While I know that Whinging is an english obsession it gets rather tiresome.

Personally I have paid $800 to see this tour (for myself and my partner) for prime seats in Auckland and I don't feel ripped off. I made a decision and I won't think about it again (and yes it IS alot of money to me).

I'd prefer he had a different Guitarist than Kilminster, and know how the show will look/sound (from boots) and I'm still exited and will get my moneys worth I'm sure. I haven't seen Roger play since KAOS and that was one of the most memorable concerts I've seen.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

hey peesa, you are the perfect person to compare this tour with the KAOS tour - let us know!
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

$400 (plus airfares) is a lot of money for me too; it took 12 months to save (was saving for something else, then switched to Rog when the news came through). I am confident he will be worth it.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

nosaj wrote:hey peesa, you are the perfect person to compare this tour with the KAOS tour - let us know!
This show is better than the KAOS show - mind you, you did get the chance to talk to Rog during the interval on the KAOS tour
cymbaline212
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cymbaline212 »

Frinkium wrote: you can argue a case for supply and demand there, but I don't think so with Roger Waters. A few dedicated fans and overpaid yuppies won't bat an eyelid paying too much, but I don't see much demand to justify the ticket prices.
well i called ticketmaster less than an hour after roger waters tickets went on sale for the tweeter center in camden and they were already sold out, so maybe it depends on the location of the concert, 30 dollars for lawn area and between about 50 and 200 for seats depending on location which i didnt feel was insanely overpriced, the sad part was that i had to shell out 100 dollars for an extra lawn ticket to a sclaper for my bro
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

drafsack wrote:
nosaj wrote:hey peesa, you are the perfect person to compare this tour with the KAOS tour - let us know!
This show is better than the KAOS show - mind you, you did get the chance to talk to Rog during the interval on the KAOS tour
how is it better...I was listening to the KAOS tour in Hamilton last night, and, well for a solo tour, he played a lot of solo stuff, plus Not Now John (not every show of course), Nobody Home etc...I'm not disagreeing with you, but, wondering what makes it better?

Hell, Tempted by the Fruit of Another is a laugh on one roio.
Freddie Mercury
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Freddie Mercury »

The tickets for the Hollywood Bowl show through Ticketmaster cost me $56 apiece, and I think that was after all the fees. Granted we were toward the back (close to the surround speakers which then sounded out-of-sync with the front), but we were surprised at how inexpensive it was actually...were the tickets for all shows toward the beginning of the tour that cheap? Did the prices just raise recently? I guess it could be because it's another country and maybe another company is handling it now....(?)
bacon
Embryo
Embryo

Post by bacon »

Keith Jordan wrote:Supply and demand!

Limited supply + high demand = high price
No high demand in Sydney .. they are still trying to sell tickets ...
Edel
Axe
Axe

Post by Edel »

bacon wrote:No high demand in Sydney .. they are still trying to sell tickets ...
Extreme demand in Norway then...
Oslo - 9000 tickets all sold out in 18 minutes for about £53 GBP
Stavanger - 24000 tickets all sold out in nearly an hour for about £40 GBP
Bergen - 10000 tickets all sold out in 24 minutes for about £55 GBP

Tickets for the upcoming show in Bergen is currently being sold for about £150-170 GBP on the black market... :roll:
Groovybass77
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Groovybass77 »

There was an extremely high demand here in the Boston area. The tickets sold so fast that Roger scheduled another show. Thanks to that i went to two shows last year, ha! though due to the high demand the prices weren't affected at all :smt102
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Possibly true for NZ as well. Originally there was just to have been the Auckland show, but perhaps due to high ticket demand, Rog is now playing in Christchurch too.
peesea
Knife
Knife

Post by peesea »

I'm noticeing now that lots of people are selling tickets (for both auckland and Christchurch)on Trade Me for cost only. So I think the scalpers may get caught with their pants down.

Again, no problem to me.

I saw the Kaos show in London. Also saw floyd (the muffins that is) play at Wembley in the same year. I'm a rare person in that I enjoyed both the album, concept and tour of Radio Kaos