What makes them great?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

What makes them great?

Post by seamusz »

Thought I'd start a thread to get opinions on what, in your mind, makes Pink Floyd unique or special.

My own 30 second opion is that their greatness comes from a combination of musical ability, genius poetry, their willingness to be diffrent in their 30 year musical journey they never duplicated or copied themselves. Every album was another book, another message indepentent of the one before, yet still connected in a spiritual sense.

What are your thoughts?
JML
Hammer
Hammer

Post by JML »

I think best thing was that they allways created something new in their music. They made their own floyd-sound with great lyrics which come near you, speak to you. AHM, Echoes, SOYCD etc makes you feel your floating somewhere, not in this life or world and while it seems to be dark, it's not that dark, there's allways coming some light behind the moon. It's all about human nature (actually there's no really love songs) and I luv it.
SomeGhostsStepOut
Hammer
Hammer

Re: What makes them great?

Post by SomeGhostsStepOut »

seamusz wrote:Thought I'd start a thread to get opinions on what, in your mind, makes Pink Floyd unique or special.

My own 30 second opion is that their greatness comes from a combination of musical ability, genius poetry, their willingness to be diffrent in their 30 year musical journey they never duplicated or copied themselves. Every album was another book, another message indepentent of the one before, yet still connected in a spiritual sense.
I would have to agree 110% with that statement. No one album sound the same. Like Atom Heart Mother does not sound like Darkside of The Moon or The Wall sounds like Meddle. They were never repetitive & always creative. Then their live performances are amazing! They performed their songs better! Yeah, Pink Floyd is just...amazing!!!!!! 8)
Ridan
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Ridan »

JML wrote:They made their own floyd-sound with great lyrics which come near you, speak to you.
That is right. They're stuff is more on a human level. Not something from outer space, 'I'll walk half the world for you' BS!
JML wrote:It's all about human nature (actually there's no really love songs) and I luv it.
True, true!
Spirit Catcher
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spirit Catcher »

Takes you to different places & feelings 8)
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

The depth and feeling to their music often aligned with my own feelings
JML
Hammer
Hammer

Post by JML »

drafsack wrote:The depth and feeling to their music often aligned with my own feelings
Yes, when I feel cheated, I can listen to Animals, when I want rally relax, WYWH, etc... well I could make a thread...
spitfire
Blade
Blade

Post by spitfire »

Their material has been a progression, they have never stood still and therefore each new album has been fresh (even though they are not all top notch - eg. Ummagumma).

I 'ECHO' what has already been said, both lyrically and musically they are extremely creative and innovative.

In addtition to this they are one of the few bands who transfer to the live stage so well. In some cases their live sets are indeed better than (dare i say it?) the original recordings.
Their creative and innovative talent is also second to none when it comes to the stage setting. (just think, inflatables, lasers, projections and lights. - oh yes and some great big ******* WALL !!!!!)

All in all, only Pink Floyd have been able to pull this off time and time again.

In conclusion I feel the ability to perform such powerful live shows, which in turn attracts such a huge following, makes Pink Floyd one of the best Rock Bands ever. (but in my opinion the best)
Piper
Knife
Knife

Post by Piper »

I agree with all of the above, tho I haven't had the opportunity to see any Floyd live shows yet (please tour again guys!). Another distinct thing about the Floyd is that they built their reputation entirely on their music and light shows, they did not need to have pretty faces to market their stuff and for much of their careers they were relatively anonymous (Syd is an exception of course).
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

Piper wrote: they did not need to have pretty faces to market their stuff
Amen
RogerWatersGirl
Blade
Blade

Post by RogerWatersGirl »

Roger had a pretty face!

Yes, though, I agree with you all...
And, I too noticed tehre were no real love songs, if I feel cheated or sad over love, some favs to listen to are lol...another brink pt. 3, whywh, soycd, us and them, lol...anyway, they're just fantastic...Youh ave all summed it up! I just wish I was alive in the 60s and 70s to experiance that whole thing, without being considered "weird"....But, I guess you can't change TIME....
JML
Hammer
Hammer

Post by JML »

HEY!!! Luv Song: Summer'68
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

PF was always coming up with new ways to do things with the music & ways to make it.They have been in a league of thier own for which no1 has been able to copy or even come close to imitate.1 of the first rock bands to have songs with no words just great music.The songs about madness had a connection with everyone because we all worry if we are crazy or not.Great music to get up & jam to or just to kickback and smoke a joint & mellow out.
RogerWatersGirl
Blade
Blade

Post by RogerWatersGirl »

I agree totally....
THere is no one who can compare and the Floyd made music to go with every emotion, everything...I love thier instrumentals..When it comes to the Floyd, I only have one word in which I would describe them...

BRILLIANT!!!!
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

JML wrote:HEY!!! Luv Song: Summer'68
I wouldn't call that a love song. I would call it a song about a rock star that sleeps with loads of people on the road and decides he wants to stop all this sleeping around and figure out just how the people he sleeps with feel about him. It's about a rock star wishing to settle down in life rather than being a rolling stone.