how many floyd songs sound alike?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Comfortably_Floyd
Blade
Blade

how many floyd songs sound alike?

Post by Comfortably_Floyd »

I started playing 'Mother' on my guitar the other day and thought it was very similar to the begining on 'Fat old Sun.' Upon playing it a few more times my rythme changed slightly and it was 'Pigs on the Wing'
The bass line to 'atom heart mother' is also extremely similar to Echoes.
just wurious to know if anyone knows of more songs that follow the same pattern
SomeGhostsStepOut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SomeGhostsStepOut »

The Unknown Song has the same bassline as Funk Dung from the Atom Heart Mother suite.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Slightly different here, but you ever noticed how bloody loads of Pink Floyd song follow the formula of 2 verses, interversion bit then another verse.
Spirit Catcher
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spirit Catcher »

Gonzo wrote:The Unknown Song has the same bassline as Funk Dung from the Atom Heart Mother suite.
Yes I did
JML
Hammer
Hammer

Post by JML »

I was drunk few weeks ago and I don't know if this is just a dream or true thing but I was walking to my home door and humming one Beatles -song when I realized that there was another song like that. I'm not sure but other was Mother Natures Son and I don't remember what was the other. At least first notes were samekind in these two songs. And they were both Beatles -songs.
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

"Nile Song" and "Ibiza Bar" are very similar, but the are both on the same "More" soundtrack, so they could be just considered as two variants of one theme, I suppose...
JML
Hammer
Hammer

Post by JML »

I think ABITW parts 1,2 and 3 sound similar... :lol: I haven't noticed any similar floyd sings... yet.
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

Oh man, I have a really good one somewhere... I forget at the moment, but I'll think of it soon- Of course there is Come in number 51 and Careful with that Axe... but thats a no brainer or is brianer? :wink:
Comfortably_Floyd
Blade
Blade

Post by Comfortably_Floyd »

JML wrote:I think ABITW parts 1,2 and 3 sound similar... :lol: I haven't noticed any similar floyd sings... yet.
don't forget Hey You's guitar solo :lol: :roll:
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

AND the ending of The Trial.
Gonzo wrote:The Unknown Song has the same bassline as Funk Dung from the Atom Heart Mother suite.

Dude...were you cracking a joke here? What is The Unknown Song?

New one on me.
Richter_M.
Knife
Knife

Post by Richter_M. »

The guitar riff from Your Possible Pasts is the same as a certain guitar part in Mother, the version from The Wall movie. The only difference is that in Mother, Gilmour changes up the riff a bit more...but they're still the same. The riff begins around 4:17 if you have the song on cd somewhere...it's right after Pink's Wife says "Do you remember me? I'm the one from the registry office." Interesting tidbit: What are the words to the refrain of Your Possible Pasts? None other than "Do you remember me."!!!! Fascinating, if you ask me. Anybody know if this is intentional?

The song The Final Cut has the same string part as Comfortably Numb. It begins at about 1:17 of TFC if you don't already know what I'm referring to.

There's also a few songs on Obscured by Clouds that I can never keep straight, but that could just be because I have never gotten into many of the songs on that album.
white rabbit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by white rabbit »

okay, let's put it this way...all the same people wrote all that music. and a person's playing/writing style does not change; so you're gonna have some repetitive paterns in the music, that's just a given. at least it's not like today's bands when you have the same guitar riff on every song of the one cd they market.
RogerWatersGirl
Blade
Blade

Post by RogerWatersGirl »

The bass lines of Hey You and Comfortably Numb are simaler.
And, on Waiting For The Worms and the end of the Trail where the judge is talking have the same bass/guitar riff...one of my favs actually..>But, a lot of the songs of the Wall are connected, so, they can sound the same.
movement
Axe
Axe

Whoa, you guys are missing a lot of examples

Post by movement »

One of These Days and CWTA,E are very similar with the same building to a climax followed by a release of tension.

As time bore on, Dave simpilfied most of his repertoire to essentially the same two guitar solos, his middle of the song solo (Echoes, Time, Money, Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Dogs, Hey You, Comfortably Numb, Yet Another Movie)
and his end of the song solo (Have a Cigar, Pigs, Comfortably Numb, Sorrow, High Hopes). The feel of those solos differ ever so slightly.

Roger uses the same bass line from Your Possible Pasts all over Hitchhiking. Dave even uses almost the exact same riff in Murder.

The keyboard lines in Comfortably Numb and The Final Cut are almost indistinguishable.

I am sure there are other examples I can not think of right now. Suffice to say, the same musical elements repeat themselves all over their music.