Neptune Pink Floyd Festival 2007 - NOW CANCELLED

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Neptune Pink Floyd Festival 2007!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

This whole cancelled show is very disheartening. Yes, my ticket price has been refunded to me, but it will cost me quite a bit to cancel my flight and hotel reservation. I was really looking forward to the Festival and meeting several of the forum members. This totally sucks.

Just bitching. Ignore me.
BigDim
Blade
Blade

Post by BigDim »

To be fair SS, there isn't really any need for you to cancel your holiday. There is still a show, it has merely been shortened. You're still in for a pretty decent time when you're over here.

I mean, there's British television shows for starters, then we have things like fish and chips... erm... the Queen... Sunday lunch and all manner of quaint goings on to make for a top holiday in UK.

Ps. Did I mention I work for the Ministry of Tourism, Leisure and External Communications (Formerly of Silly Walks)?
black bobble
Knife
Knife

Post by black bobble »

I lost my deposit on a B&B - but that sounds small fry compared with cancelling a trip from Canada - I'm not sure how many forum members will go now
parisonj
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Neptune Pink Floyd Festival 2007 - NOW CANCELLED

Post by parisonj »

Firstly and by far the most important issue, is that Us And Them are seriously disappointed that the original show concept has been cancelled, not for us, but of course, for those that committed themselves to making the effort to come and watch some great tributes.

We feel enough that effort has been expended upon trying to explain the reasons for the cancellation.

In terms of the re-arrangement, Dave Gee was kind enough to ask us about our continuation with the project - the Cheese and Grain is one of our gigs anyway, and it made perfect sense for us to use the NPF Festival as our gig slot there for this year. Jason has been heavily involved with discussions from the outset with Stuart and the venue in terms of equipment and planning, since we are indeed local, and would be able to supply additional/spare gear as required - we couldn't attend the Brighton show since we were actually playing at the C&G that day, but we are led to believe that spare equipment would have solved a few issues.

We are saddened that due to circumstances beyond our control, the original festival had to be cancelled, and regret the inconvenience caused by this, we were fully supportive of the original event - I know many had booked hotels and even flights to support the show.

We feel that it is appropriate to support Dave Gee in his efforts to stage an alternative event.

Us And Them.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I am sending out a newsletter announcing the issue now and mentioning the alternative show.
BigDim
Blade
Blade

Post by BigDim »

Just noticed this one...
darkside_andy wrote:P.S. Just off to buy a big red sports car with a very long bonnet - can you recommend a good dealer?
Andy, are you taking the piss outta my big red Fastback?!

I'll have you for that one.
darkside_andy
Axe
Axe

Post by darkside_andy »

Just a note of support for Us And Them, we (Darkside) genuinely hope that the show goes well for you, the audience and the Cheese and Grain. We also hope that not too many people feel they need to cancel due to the changes or lose too much money due to the last minute notification.

Of course we are disappointed not to be appearing, meeting up with you guys and Us Not Them again ,together with the usual suspects from the Forum, but as already flogged to death, that wasn't our call.

Andy (on behalf of Darkside)
parisonj
Embryo
Embryo

Post by parisonj »

Thanks Andy.

Yes, it would have been good to meet up with some other tributes and chew the fat, hopefully some other time?

Jason
Us And Them.
W1P
Blade
Blade

Post by W1P »

I was actually dreaming about trying to put on a show with multiple Floyd tributes from around the world in which every song from the Floyd catalouge was performed in chronological order. Well, I haven't given up on that dream but the logistics would be a nightmare.
bald_fat_bloke
Axe
Axe

Post by bald_fat_bloke »

darkside_andy
Axe
Axe

Post by darkside_andy »

So much nicer than the "C" word don't you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gmhk1lQilk

Dave, seriously, enjoy Frome and put on a good show. Life really is too short. I guess you can cope with being off our Christmas card list. You should have talked but hey ho, not even I am perfect.

Andy
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

:smt078
WhammyBar
Axe
Axe

Post by WhammyBar »

Well, that's that then.

I suppose, in order not to look like spoiled brats, we should take this philosophically and not feel in the slightest upset at what has happened. The fact is that there is a lot involved in getting our band involved in a project like this one, and people have to make sacrifices. Being cancelled by re-organising behind our backs is not what we expect.

We're talking a bout a Bank Holiday weekend given up months ago in order to take part, and a lot of families are affected by that. At this stage it is rather too late for us to re-plan the trip to see distant family overseas, it is too late to get back the three offerings of other work that were turned down, and too late to set up an alternative self-promoted event.

Had we been informed when it is clear the Mr Breathe knew what was likely to happen, we wouldn't be in this position - we could have held an alternative booking open or made tentative "just in case" plans.

Whatever the motive in keeping quiet, whilst discussing alternatives with the venue, it should be remembered that there were four bands booked for the event, and ALL would have been willing to negotiate with the venue. Why is the second day cancelled? Would not simply dropping Guy Pratt of the list and reducing ticket price have been an alternative? Why not a t least discuss the options with ALL committed parties?

To simply take it upon yourself to book your own band in and leave others completely unaware until it si a fait accompli can be nothing other than suspicious. Add to this what happened at last year's Marathon and respect for Breathe drops tot he floor.

For those who are not aware, Breathe, like the rest of us submitted a set list to ensure there would be no duplication of performed songs. Darkside even dropped one or two from their set so Breathe could do them. Once Breathe were onstage, they ignored their committed setlist and performed songs that were not on it, but that were on the list for Darkside and Us Not Them. In terms of professional etiquette, that stinks. In terms of clever spotlight grabbing, it ensured their set was the only one on the day entirely free of constraint. It demonstrates a certain attitude - one of complete disregard for the needs of the event, in favour of one's own shameless self elevation.

There is no reason that I can see why the event in Frome could not have gone ahead with all four bands - but that would have required putting Breathe's interests secondary to those of the event as a whole, and discussing the problem openly with everyone.

How sad that this is not what happened, because it splits the community. Angry? No, just very very sad that someone could do this and then justify it on this forum with such mealy mouthed platitudes.

I do hope the Cheese & grain gets a good audience on the night, but I'll resent the applause given to certain of the performers - although I'm not sure which are the ones who are to be held most guilty.

PP Us ... not Them
Robert
darkside_andy
Axe
Axe

Post by darkside_andy »

'Bout right Drafsack, and I wrote the drivel! Nothing to do with the 5 pints of Waggledance downed :lol: (Note to self: stay off the forum after 21:00, Note from others: just stay off the forum)
BigDim
Blade
Blade

Post by BigDim »

I'd forgotten about Brighton... blimey Robert, you've a top memory!

I am inclined to agree with you though. To be honest there's not much to be angry about, like you say, but nonetheless it is a sorry state.

As mentioned previously, it shows the Breathe management to be rather opportunistic. Coupled with their performance in Brighton I don't feel that it paints a very NPF community-friendly picture of the group.

We live and learn.

'Wave upon wave of demented avengers...'
Last edited by BigDim on Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.