Neptune Pink Floyd Festival 2007 - NOW CANCELLED

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
nieve master
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Neptune Pink Floyd Festival 2007 - NOW CANCELLED

Post by nieve master »

I just feel sorry for the folks going to the show and 'The cheese and Grain'. Lets face it breathe know who produce the best SHOW and I guess this is why they have been so underhanded. I guess they need the practice. If only the 'Cheese and Grain' knew what they are missing.
darkside_andy
Axe
Axe

Post by darkside_andy »

I don't know if this is of any relevance...

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
I really should get out more.

Minor edit - Draf
bloopster
Embryo
Embryo

Post by bloopster »

:( Got to be said guys - something smells very fishy indeed. Some communication should have happened between all bands. No need whatsoever for sneeking around - you don't just organise a new gig overnight and have the posters ready to email out at the same time. Mind you the posters are sh*t.

Bad form guys (you know who you are).....

You're nearly a laugh
But you're really a cry.
nieve master
Embryo
Embryo

Post by nieve master »

yup I can't agree more with darkside_andy
He really should get out more!!!!!

....come on lets go to the stoning. Should be a good one today, local lad.......
WhammyBar
Axe
Axe

Post by WhammyBar »

Hey, whooppee de doo dah, I just heard we got our gig offer back for that day, luckily. I'll post details later when it is all confirmed.

It doesn't alter what happened (I've had a long and very friendly chat with Stu about it today) but it does mean at least we didn't get stiffed as effectively as we could have been. I hope we can avoid anything being handled that way in future, and I've told Stu that if he ever gets into a state again where he really needs help he can call me, and I'll not only pitch in to save to the day, but will look after the interests of ALL parties with equanimity.

Having managed to get the word equanimity into a post, I have now reached my vocabulary building target for the day as well. Things are looking up. Now of I can just find a way to get "circumambulate" into a post I'll be a day ahead...

Cheers
Robert
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

Right, before I go any further I should point out that ''nieve master'' has to be banned. They only joined to slate Breathe, they have no purpose here other than that as a look at their NPF records will show. Hit the button Keith!

Right, hopefully having cleared the worthless trash out that have no doubt been brought on board by pissed off tribute band members I do believe we can move on and just speak amongst the mature people, yes??? (I'll give it a day before it goes tits up!)

Anyway, I cant believe the shit Dave Gee is getting, this has to stop and it has to stop now! I know many of the people involved fairly well and I cant believe the assumptions they are jumping to. Yes, Dave knew it was going tits up back in May, on the plus side hes been trying to help me solve the situation since then and has even brought in financiers to look at the project to see if they can invest in it so the event could still go ahead and pay for everyone to still be involved!! I have reason to trust Daves intentions after he knew another project of mine was going wrong but still did everything he possibly could to still make it work, even at the expense and embaressment of his band members that invest trust in him! He works on a personal level with those involved and places himself in a position of jeopardy to help others at his own expense.

Admittedly communication amongst those involved in the NPF fest could have been better which is something that I know is very much my problem, things have gone from bad to worse here in the last few months in ways I dont want to disclose in this environment and Dave has been a rock when he didnt have to be. I know how the new event may look to people but I dont believe for a second that Dave has manipulated this situation for his own bands ends as has been implied, I believe that Daves intention was to try and salvage a lost cause and he has my full support with it. I dont know how many of the ticket holders had booked accomadation but I do believe that many of them would have made the common sense arrangements and done so and I for one would not want to let those people down, which was something that was a dead certainty until Dave put his idea forward to the venue. In terms of considering this an opportunity for self promotion its worth considering that Breathe arent even the headline band on any of the promotional material, Us And Them are and that is Dave pushing another band, he could quite easily have plugged Breathe to death but hes pushing an event with another band as the leading act!. Granted the show option is not quite what we had originally hoped for but I hope that the people that originally bought tickets will enjoy at least 1 day of Floyd action and maybe spend the sunday checking out the rural surroundings of Frome or head further into Glastonbury if they want to get really fucked!!! ;)

I can only apologise that things havent worked out as well as we'd originally hoped, like the marathons the purpose of this event was to get a bunch of Floyd fans from the forum together to have a bit of fun and wow each other with our prowess, or enthusiasm at least (it still went over most of 1 bands heads last year anyway tho), unfortunately my delusions of grandeur got the better of me again!

I think its absolutely disgusting the way the people here have immediately thought the worst of someone, I thought you were better people than that.

Lets not forget the irony in the complaint that people werent spoken to first whilst jumping in without speaking to anyone else!

I have no intention of falling out with Rob and the Us Not Them folks nor Andy and the Darkside gang (especially THEE Stevie G from Darkside - he has a wife you know!) as I know them to be fantastic people that I genuinely do admire and respect (hell, Ive finally played on a Floyd cover that I can be proud of!!!), I would prefer it tho if we could solve this in a better fashion.

Cheers
Stu

PS, Gilmours management are a bunch of bastards, I went to the torrent tracker to put volume 3 up a few weeks ago but there was no torrent tracker!!!, maybe we should all send them letters of thanks for cutting off our creative outlet! Do we really have to resort to vines? theyre so 2006! :)
SurrogateJoe
Blade
Blade

Post by SurrogateJoe »

Hi Stu

Thanks for the info. Must have been a nightmare dealing with all that.......
Like i said before, its nothing to do with me at all (hence i can put my oar in and stir up what i like :) ) but i did worry that some of the bands seemed to be gaining from the event at the expense of the others, and having been there sooooooo often in the past, i know its not fun. However, all seems good now....... lucky you had Dave to pull it back together.

Shame about the way it worked out, i reckon that it would have been better off in a big theatre though, adds more gravitas to the event.

I know Pete from Breathe quite well (he's related to our ex-drummer!!!) and have spoken to the Dark Side guys a few times, they are all pretty cool and seem really good guys.... i hope everything can get sorted now and maybe something can get worked out to bring it all back together in the future.

We have an ongoing plan up here to stage an outdoor mini-festival, most of the plans are in place, but we still have a few legal things to work out........ i would love to invite all the bands up to take part, it wouldn't be a money spinner or anything, but we could pay expenses and sort out accomodation and make it a bit of a party, i have 3 other bands signed up already..... it might all go belly up (if we cant sort out the legal niggle with the council) but fingers crossed it will go well.... you are all invited of course, so it could end up being a fun weekend.
WhammyBar
Axe
Axe

Post by WhammyBar »

SurrogateJoe wrote:Hi Stu

Thanks for the info. Must have been a nightmare dealing with all that.......
Like i said before, its nothing to do with me at all (hence i can put my oar in and stir up what i like :) ) but i did worry that some of the bands seemed to be gaining from the event at the expense of the others, and having been there sooooooo often in the past, i know its not fun. However, all seems good now....... lucky you had Dave to pull it back together.

Shame about the way it worked out, i reckon that it would have been better off in a big theatre though, adds more gravitas to the event.

I know Pete from Breathe quite well (he's related to our ex-drummer!!!) and have spoken to the Dark Side guys a few times, they are all pretty cool and seem really good guys.... i hope everything can get sorted now and maybe something can get worked out to bring it all back together in the future.

We have an ongoing plan up here to stage an outdoor mini-festival, most of the plans are in place, but we still have a few legal things to work out........ i would love to invite all the bands up to take part, it wouldn't be a money spinner or anything, but we could pay expenses and sort out accomodation and make it a bit of a party, i have 3 other bands signed up already..... it might all go belly up (if we cant sort out the legal niggle with the council) but fingers crossed it will go well.... you are all invited of course, so it could end up being a fun weekend.
What would be really nice (I hate the word nice but it fits) would be if you could make up for what we and Darkside lost by bringing the two of us along for the mini-festival gig to even things up a bit. We have a great show (bigger and better than at Brighton) that very few of you know about, and Darkside have a great show that you do know about. What's more, we worked well together at Brighton and didn't get in each other's way material-wise. Our combined Comfortably Numb was good fun too... if a little heavy-handed!

Cheers
Robert
Us ... not Them
darkside_andy
Axe
Axe

Post by darkside_andy »

Hi All

Darkside here. We're not going to comment further on this. All that needs to have been said has been said. We are now looking ahead and already have some outline plans for a project next year. We will talk to everyone who may wish to be involved once the Frome show is over, as we don't want it to cut across this event or become entangled in the detritus.

Once again we would urge people to support the Cheese and Grain in August to make it a good night for those Forum people attending.
WhammyBar
Axe
Axe

Post by WhammyBar »

darkside_andy wrote:Hi All

Darkside here. We're not going to comment further on this. All that needs to have been said has been said. We are now looking ahead and already have some outline plans for a project next year. We will talk to everyone who may wish to be involved once the Frome show is over, as we don't want it to cut across this event or become entangled in the detritus.

Once again we would urge people to support the Cheese and Grain in August to make it a good night for those Forum people attending.
Absolutely right.

The subject is closed for us too... I'm sure the Cheese & Grain will have a good crowd in the end. Good things will come of it.

Robert
Us ... not Them
SurrogateJoe
Blade
Blade

Post by SurrogateJoe »

I dont that would be fair in this case.... Stu does this for the love of the music, and has been good to all of the bands involved in the past.
WhammyBar
Axe
Axe

Post by WhammyBar »

filthyfish wrote:Am i right to assume that none of the bands signed up had a contract of any kind? well if not then you should join the MU. You could have then recovered costs from the promoter or whoever signed that contract,even the potential loss of other work, presuming a standard MU contract was used.
Well, we are all MU members in our band, but we didn't have a contract for this event, it was purely voluntary and in support of the NPF. We expected expenses to be covered, but we wouldn't pursue poor Stu for loss of earnings - he's far too good a bloke for that!

We just hope it doesn't put him off trying something that exciting again... albeit without the over-ambitious bits ( i.e. Guy Pratt) and with more communication so the bands can actually be aware of what help might be needed to make it a success.

Stu needs a few pints, and pat on the back for trying, and encouragement to have another go at the fence he fell at when he feels better.

Robert
http://www.usnotthem.co.uk
http://www.myspace.com/thefloydtribute
black bobble
Knife
Knife

Post by black bobble »

Stu needs a few pints, and pat on the back for trying
Too true. I should be seeing him thursday and saturday so should buy him a few.

Everyone has got to remember the whole thing is an amateur thing which makes it different to just watching another Floyd tribute. Stu epitomises the enthusiasm for the music more than making money for himself or others, which gives the gigs the special feel.

Without him I'm not sure if I'd want to go let alone perform (I was down on the alternative floyd night)

I also wouldn't chase Stu for money unless he deliberately tried to con me (which he would never do because he's a good bloke). Any losses is just the risk of the game I'm afraid.
SurrogateJoe
Blade
Blade

Post by SurrogateJoe »

Hi Filthyfish.......

I dont think anyone on here wants to sue Stu (try saying that drunk), cos he's a good guy, if anything he has lost money himself on this....... and i doubt any of the other bands will make much out of it.

Im into the MU thing though......... i think i will join :)
WhammyBar
Axe
Axe

Post by WhammyBar »

filthyfish wrote:
WhammyBar wrote:
Well, we are all MU members in our band,
Right, cant find any of you in the Directory :?
In that case, I shall be using my M.U. legal cover to sue the M.U. for taking Direct Debits off me without giving me membership. ;o)

Your list must be out of date, or you're not looking for the right names, or in the wrong area. We certainly wouldn't be playing where we do unless we had full Public Liability cover for every performer... they wouldn't even let us in. The M.U. is the only way to get that cover at a resaonable price, and I would heartily recommend their contracts too. I've been saved twice in my career by a good M.U. contract.

Robert