Which Ones Pink - The Book.

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Which Ones Pink - The Book.

Post by simpledumbpilot »

Has anyone read Phil Roses book ''Which Ones Pink''? I fancy picking up some new Floyd literature and havent read this one yet. Ive read a ton of Floyd books in the past sowould I find anything new in this? Any verdicts / opinions???
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

I havn't read much literature on Pink Floyd, I was wondering if you had some suggestions on good books to start out with.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

It depends on what sort of thing youre after, if you want a good history of the band then Nicholas Schaffners ''Saucerful of Secrets'' is amongst the best. Any edition of Miles' Visual Documentaries are great reference books and for a quick brief into the background of the songs and their meanings Andy Mabbetts ''Complete Guide To The Music of Pink Floyd'' is a handy CD sized reference book, altho much of the information is available on the net.
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

Thanks, I've done a bit of internet research, but have wanted to do some sitdown reading for a while but hadn't taken the time to search out a book, and theres a lot of them. I'll check out the one you suggested.
SomeGhostsStepOut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SomeGhostsStepOut »

It is a pretty good book. The author Analyzes the lyrcis & music ver very well. A great read! :D
RogerWatersGirl
Blade
Blade

Post by RogerWatersGirl »

I've read that book twice and I still glance through it sometimes...
It made me cry when I read it at 10 and realized that Flecther Memorial Home, one of my great favourite songs, was written about Rogy's daddy....it made me sad, but, appreciate the song more...
I learned a lot from the book, and, its a graet read!!
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

It's an okay book...the section on The Wall is one of the most informative essays on psychology I've ever read.

However, I have to say that I think Phil Rose read too much into Animals.

His interpretation is interesting...but, I think, misinformed.

Much like his interpretation of DSOTM and WYWH.

His interpretations of The Wall and TFC are pretty good...but then again, those albums ARE pretty specific in what they have to say.

Rose tries to hard to find a linear story thread in DSOTM, WYWH and Animals.

I don't think those three albums are supposed to have linear story lines...they are CONCEPT ALBUMS...not ROCK OPERAS...and there IS a difference.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Brilliant book i reckon, and while yeah some of what he says is a bit dodgy (his interpretation of the music on WYWH especially) it's a thought provoking read that will change the way you listen to pink floyd lyrics in the future
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Thanks for the input folks, I'll order it from Amazon tomorrow. And see how I get on, it seems a shame that the guys tried to put a story thread to DSOTM, WYWH & Animals as they clearly dont have a story which was one of my concerns, I'll give it a go tho as there seems to be some positive points made about the book, thanks again folks!
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

The storie that Phil Rose came up with for DSOTM, WYWH and Animals ARE interesting, I have to admit...even in light of the obviousness that they are of his own concoction.
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

A little off the subject, all right way off the subject, actually nothing to do with the subject..... Mosespa, judging from your avatar, it looks like you've worked out something, but I'm in favor of your new look, whats your secret? :D
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Very effectove, did you see how he looked in the last avatar? How can anyone be in such good shape that they manage to turn in to a woman? There must be a secret.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

It's all in the diet...and exercise.

But, all seriousness aside, I simply arrived at the conclusion that Joey Lauren Adams is a heck of a lot more pleasant on the eyes than my bloated, overweight mug.

At least, I think she is =P~
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Ah so that's who it is. Picture had me wondering for ages.

I loved her performance is Chasing Amy. Classic film that.
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

Its that damn 10lbs the camera adds