Roger willing for another Floyd reunion!

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Doesn't matter how badly Roger wants to do it...Gilmour is now the one in charge of Pink Floyd. He doesn't want to do it.

He can't stand the sight of Roger, it seems...and I'm certain that he's not about to just give up what he's worked so hard for these past twenty years:

Absolute control of something he wasn't even in on the beginning of. :roll:

Waters and Gilmour have far too much bilous water under the bridge for a reconciliation that'll mean more than just one show for a benefit.
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Sonic Destruction »

She's okay helping Dave with his solo stuff, but she can't write Floydian lyrics, that's for sure.

Yet another reason I hope they don't try and get back together to record new material without Rog.

Actually, I don't think Nick would be interested without Roger in the band.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Ah, but something is happening. Something wonderful!
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Okay, Mr. Bowman...care to elaborate?
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Roger and David seem very competitive with one another...have you noticed that since 1984, they have mostly released albums and done tours hot on each other's heels...If Roger keeps this, I want to reunite stuff up, maybe David will get pissed off enough to put out another solo album and tour, just to emphasis it won't happen - and Roger will need to put something out...basically I'm full of sh**. But, these two benefit from the rumours.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

You're right...they do seem to release things and/or go on tour closely behind each other, but I don't think that's something that's intentionally planned.

In 1987, it was just kind of serendipitous (IMO) that KAOS and AMLOR came out around the same time and that the tours were so close together.

Roger has no reason to do that intentionally as it seems that a Pink Floyd tour reduces his chances of selling out even medium sized halls.

People would rather see Pink Floyd than see Roger Waters, it seems.

Now...as to whether or not Gilmour carefully times these things...who can say? The Gilmour led Floyd seems to operate on it's own timetable in regards to when albums are put together and released.

I think it's just coincidence that each camp's last two major albums were released so closely together.

Roger didn't tour behind ATD...so, other than '87 the only other time Gilmour and Waters seemed to be competing for tour audiences was when each went on tour last year.

Again...that's only the second time. And Waters had just toured a few years ago with the In The Flesh tour.

I think this coincidence could be considered serendipitous had Gilmour not released a solo album and gone on tour.

Seems like Roger could be trying to steal his thunder...doesn't really seem to be working, though.

I think that if Roger keeps up the "I want to get back together" thing, Gilmour can respond in one of two ways:

1. He can simply keep saying "no" until he dies

or

2. He can simply break up the band, thereby removing anything for Roger to rejoin...however, that tact didn't work for Waters in the 80's, so it probably wouldn't work for Gilmour now, either. It would just open the door for Waters to take control back.

So...I'd say we can look forward to seeing just how many different ways Gilmour can say "no."
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

OR the third possibility is that he might say yes :wink:

Like you mosespa, I'm a cynical person, however I am not entirely devoid of optimism.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

they did the accidental coincidental dueling tours thing in 84 before they did it in 87

Ive always been suspicious about the timing of that MLoR tour,
especially since we know (or at least Schaffner tells us) that the record company pressured Gilmour into putting out one more Floyd album
Ive always assumed they got the tour happening as soon as they could to preclude any lawsuit from roger over the album, and generate those recordsetting ticketsales that settled the question of Which Ones Pink like no lawyer ever could

and I agree, this current tour Roger is stealing Daves thunder, since Dave has opted not to do another floyd tour Rogers more than willing to oblige

Id rather roger got working on his new album
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

What? Ca Ira not good enough for you?
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Sonic Destruction »

nosaj wrote:What? Ca Ira not good enough for you?
It was not quite the album I'd been hoping for after all these years :? :(
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

The Gunner's Dream wrote:OR the third possibility is that he might say yes :wink:

Like you mosespa, I'm a cynical person, however I am not entirely devoid of optimism.
It's not cynicism.

It's based in the knowledge that prior to TDB, Gilmour attempted to reconcile with Roger and Roger declined (to put it mildly.)

As I understand it, that refusal to reconcile has put Roger firmly at the top of Gilmour's "Fuck Off And Die" list.

Also...again...it's based in the knowledge that Roger likes to be the one in charge and right now, it's Gilmour who's in charge...and he seems to like it that way, too.

I can't see Gilmour abdicating control of the band to the guy who tried to kill it by quitting...and then tried to sue the hell out of everyone who tried to keep it going...and then refused to come back on board when he would have been welcome to.

Gilmour has worked too hard to get where he's at right now to simply turn it over to the guy who didn't want it in the first place.
Vlad The Impaler
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Vlad The Impaler »

Just to have something to post....I'm with Mossy so far....point-of-view-wise....so I'll just be lazy and let him express my point of view......

so to speak.

FransT
Axe
Axe

Post by FransT »

mosespa wrote:
Gilmour has worked too hard to get where he's at right now.....
You must be joking... Gilmour worked too hard?

Two 'sound as' Floyd albums and one solo album in 21 years with no creative ideas at all?

Where are all those good songs that Roger didn't allow poor ol' Dave to perform in the years before 1985?

There's nothing that's relevant on AMLOR and particularly on TDB. It's 'musac' in the same league as Dire Straits and OAI must be the laziest solo album ever from any Floyd member.

Compare OAI with ATD from Roger and you know what I mean.
ATD is in the same league as DSOTM, WYWH and any other Floyd Classic.
OAI is just an irrelevant echo from the past..

Dave has had his moments but you cannot accuse him of working hard in the past 21 years..
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

FransT wrote:
mosespa wrote:
Gilmour has worked too hard to get where he's at right now.....
You must be joking... Gilmour worked too hard?
But to get to get to that position as head of the band he worked hard. Guy had been a member since 1968 so after being there for 19 years you can forgive him got taking a lot of time between albums... Especially as he was begining to knock back the years by 1987 . Keep in mind that for Dave this band has been like an adultlifelong dedication
FransT wrote:Two 'sound as' Floyd albums and one solo album in 21 years with no creative ideas at all?
Doesn't mean he didn't work hard when he made them though. Besides, when you say no creative ideas that's purely your opinion. Also don't forget the world tours they did too
FransT wrote:Where are all those good songs that Roger didn't allow poor ol' Dave to perform in the years before 1985?
I don't beleive Dave ever claimed to have anything written. I beleive he did state Roger wouldn't wait for him to write stuff and ploughed on himself. If so then that heavily implies he never had anything
FransT wrote:There's nothing that's relevant on AMLOR and particularly on TDB. It's 'musac' in the same league as Dire Straits and OAI must be the laziest solo album ever from any Floyd member.
Maybe he's just mellowed with age. Regardless these are your personal opinions on the albums here that you're using as proof he hasn't worked hard.
FransT wrote:Compare OAI with ATD from Roger and you know what I mean. ATD is in the same league as DSOTM, WYWH and any other Floyd Classic. OAI is just an irrelevant echo from the past..
I would say OAI is much better than ATD so again a matter of opinion here. However, just because i'm not a fan of ATD it doesn't mean i think Roger put no effort in to doing it.
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

Actually, I remember seeing a few interviews where Dave has said that a possible reunion could happen again but he wouldn't do a tour, he would want it to be another charity type gig.