Is Waters a Mimzy?

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
hazchem
Axe
Axe

Is Waters a Mimzy?

Post by hazchem »

Am I missing something important about the latest effort from waters?
I just heard Hello (I love you) for the first time today and as I shuffled uncomfortably around in my seat listening to the lyrics I had a thought towards the end.....maybe I am missing something?

It sounds to me that on the day when he was writing the lyrics, he decided to scrape up a bunch of lines from previous Floyd albums, stick them together and put a tune to it! Though his voice through old age has not developed in a way that sounds pleasant to the ear, it is still reasonably acceptable, but the disasterous lyrical and musical effort along with his screaming attempt at vocals which his voice is no longer capable of is awful.

Is there a reason or link to do with the movie that explains why most of the lyrics are to do with what we have already heard in other albums before. The fact that the music and the vocals are bad kinda says he couldn't be arsed.

Waters....you are a Mimzy!!
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

What the hell is a Mimzy? Some kinda Ewok-ish thing?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I think the Mimzy is some sort of magic teddy bear or something from the film. I dont think Roger is related to the Mimzy. He just co-wrote the song. Or, rather, mashed up lyrics from his previous songs and did some new music.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Inflatable Mimzy for the summer portion of the tour, coming out during CWTA,E (assumming a Mimzy is indeed magical or a killer Teddy Bear)
AsydWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Mimzy(i.e. Mimsy)Were The Borogoves!!!

Post by AsydWaters »

I don't know if you have read the actual collection of short sci-fi stories of H.Kutler who wrote "The Mimsy Were The Borogoves"-its about a family gifted with certain powers to change the elemental properties of any material and also the ability to hear what's the other person is thinking or whatever is in his mind....the story is set in a backdrop of holocaust days where the Rulers are "The Council" and one of the Borogoves elders is also a member of this "Council"; to sum it up... the kids of the Borogoves sort of rebel and are always reprimanded for using their powers to help others as they fear that it might cause a grave danger for the Borogove family;in the end one of the kid clashes with his father/elder(??) and as he can read his mind ;and the elder's brain sort of screaming to take the rifle and shoot the son (for he is in such anger) and the kid reads the mind ,misinterpreting it as if his elder is really going to do it;so he makes the elder's rifle to shoot himself( the elder borogove) while the elder Borogov shatters the window glass and its shards slice thru the kids body...then he realizes that He is the last of lineage of the Borogove family and dies.Thus Mimsy (now termed as Mimzy) refers to anyone who has certain gift but the others act in ways that mis-uses / misinterprets the gift of the power that can be used to achieve positive and betterment of the humankind.
There's this blog by the author "mimzy were the borogoves" and its a good blog.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

So, Roger is a Mimzy, because he tries to use his amazing powers of observation to bring attention to issues in this world that need fixing?
hazchem
Axe
Axe

Post by hazchem »

I had heard that the word Mimzy is also a kind of puppet????

Maybe the term is used loosely to describe certain toys like the Teddy or puppets etc, the point being that Waters' droning about the war and other worldly going ons is getting a little long in the tooth.

I used the term Mimzy for Waters because my understanding of the word puppetises Waters in the manner that a puppet is a kind of simple and inanimate toy, unless someone pulls it's strings.

Hello(I Love You) is kind of simple and inanimate too I think. It sounds as if with a little more effort and string pulling Waters could have mustered a bit more in the ways of lyrics and vocals considering we have heard it all before.........countless times!
Parish
Knife
Knife

Post by Parish »

Mimzy is Rog's pet name for David...isn't that obvious?
hazchem
Axe
Axe

Post by hazchem »

So Dave is a mimzy?????

How dare you.....sacralidge!!
Parish
Knife
Knife

Post by Parish »

hazchem wrote:So Dave is a mimzy?????

Well he is in "puppetual" denial about the reunion possibilities!
fatoldbob
Judge!
Judge!

Post by fatoldbob »

Parish wrote:
hazchem wrote:So Dave is a mimzy?????

Well he is in "puppetual" denial about the reunion possibilities!
Rim Shot..
hazchem
Axe
Axe

Post by hazchem »

Well............A get together in aid of starving children is one thing, several years of having to put up with the gloomiest man on the planet is another.

Don't get me wrong, Pink Floyd back together; possible tour; possible album; I would probably have a convulsion and die with excitement.

Expecting someone to put up with Waters???
Hmmmmmmm!!!!!
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

I really hate to say it but I'm dissapointed with the new song as well. It's all a bit boring :?
mhspiper
Hammer
Hammer

Post by mhspiper »

I love it personally, and I'll probably go see this movie.
henno

Post by henno »

Hello, I love you....

Have you heard
it was on the news
your child can read you like a bedtime story
Like a Magazine
Like a has-been out to grass
Like afternoon T.V.
Why is my life going by so fast?

Hello I love you
Is there anybody in there?