Pompeii DVD - some disapointing news

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
FloydNZ
Blade
Blade

Pompeii DVD - some disapointing news

Post by FloydNZ »

First the good news.....go here.... http://koreanrock.x-y.net/Pompeii-DVD/
to see almost 200 screen captures from the pompeii dvd.

now the bad news......there is a very high quality, very readable scan of the dvd cover on that page too..... It is the first real confirmation I have had that the audio on this dvd is only in stereo......it hasn't been remixed in Dolby 5.1......is anyone else as pee'd off about this as I am?
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

I guess if you have an elaborate stereo system with your tv/dvd you'd be annoyed, but since I don't, that's not a big bother to me. What I AM concerned about after viewing all those images (great...I just wasted my entire morning) is...what's all those space images and did they have to edit out footage of the BAND to insert those? I hope not--now THAT would p-me off!

Hey, it looks like Roger and David are eating oysters in some of those shots....mmmmmmmm...yummy.
madcap69
Hammer
Hammer

Post by madcap69 »

mmmmmmm.....oysters, I like mine smoked.
FloydNZ
Blade
Blade

Post by FloydNZ »

I don't have an elaborate stereo system either.....but I will one day
Stiggs
Knife
Knife

Post by Stiggs »

I do but it's not an official dolby 5.1 stereo surround sound system, but I do have a man-made surround sound stereo. My computer speakers attached to my monitor are hooked up, and my computer is also hooked up to another desktop stereo, so that's 4 speakers surrounding my computer. That stereo I also have hooked up to my home stereo, which is 4 speaker boxes that are 3 feet tall with 12" woofers, tweeders and midranges.

Sit in the middle of my room and play Echoes. O:)
dogs_pigs_n_sheep
Knife
Knife

Post by dogs_pigs_n_sheep »

Frankly the news about Pompii does not upset me. I figured they'd have a hard time remixing that for 5.1. I'll just be happy to have a DVD copy, just to have it on disk instead of tape. My tape is very worn out, and with good care, my DVD will not ever wear out.
movement
Axe
Axe

Honestly, I don't think it would matter

Post by movement »

Yes, the Azimuth Coordinator was a big deal, but the source recording was simply not made with that in mind. I would be surprised if we ever saw a vintage recording with surround sound. It would just sound forced, kind of like the stereo mix of TPATGOD sounds forced. I'm just happy to have DSOTM with surround sound and I hope they do the same with the later recordings where the technology used to make them can actually support it.
Fireland
Axe
Axe

Post by Fireland »

Has it been released?
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

I have a nice surround system, 5.1 and DTS, and am dissapointed that it hasnt been remixed, but because it has been re-visiouly master it will make up for it. The DSOT SACD sounds great, but I dont have a SACD player so I was a bit disapointed in that, need to get one of those players. Will just for that :P