Blade

atom heart mother album

Post by nightmare »

i just heard it. i think it is great. what do you think of that album
SomeGhostsStepOut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SomeGhostsStepOut »

One of my top favorites. The Atom Heart Mother suite could of been better though. Funky Dung is my favorite part from that suite. If is a very touching song from Roger & as Geesin claimed "very deep." SUmmer 68 is a fun song about Rick's expiriences with Groupies. Great song indeed. Fat Old Sun is a nice tune for the summer time. :D But I have heard many live versions of this song & they are just as great! It is longer & amazing jams indeed!. Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast believe it or not is actully my favorite track from the whole album! :shock: All three parts are incredible. it is a very original song! Morning Glory has an amazing Floyd jam it it 8) So yeah I love Atom Heart Mother!
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

not a fan at all, i havent heard fat old sun though
NiceJangly
Axe
Axe

Post by NiceJangly »

I agree with Gonzo, it is a great album, one of my favourites too and there are some fantastic live versions of Fat Old Sun knocking about and some good AHM versions without choir & orchestra - less is more!
Piper
Knife
Knife

Post by Piper »

AHM won't beat the "classic" PF albums or Piper on my list but I do like the album. I like the suite best from that album, especially the part where the voices start singing gibberish - "ha da tea ka.. ho do cha! brrrroooooomm.." I like most of Wright's compositions but I can't say I'm overly fond of "Summer '68", for some reason.

Perhaps my favorite thing about this album is that the title track will usually get me dead asleep when I go to bed (not cuz its boring or anything), being an insomniac I feel all the more indebted to the Floyd for this.
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

I really like the title piece, I think it is somehow more interesting than "A Saurceful of Secrets" for example (not mentioning instrumentals from "Ummagumma") - it has amazing atmosphere.
And I like "If" very much - typical Waters' ballad, but really touching...
madcap69
Hammer
Hammer

Post by madcap69 »

its good
Useful Idiot
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Useful Idiot »

AHM suite is an incredible epic, imo. One of my favorite Floyd instrumentals. If has great lyrics, but I find it a bit boring musically. Summer '68 is one of my favorite Rick songs. Some outstanding vocals. Fat Old Sun is a nice fun song. Alan's Psychadelic Brekfast isn't amazing by a longshot, but it has some cool jams.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

It is a great album and the best of the "Band and Orchestra" albums that were all the rage in the late 60's /early 70's and as NiceJangly there are some great live versions with and without the choir & orchestra.

It also follows in the vane of ummagumma with a track by preety much each band member on side 2

If and Fat Old Sun are nice and mellow, Summer `68 picks up the pace with a song that sounds like it's about a groupie and then we have
Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast. This is better than people make out, it has some great music on that track and there are also a copule of good live versions of this available, where the band would cook up a breakfast on stage.
PowR TocH
Blade
Blade

Post by PowR TocH »

I love AHM as a whole album especially the title track and Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast, If is nice too.
MoreOrLess
Blade
Blade

Post by MoreOrLess »

Great album, not really up to the standards of meddle but perhaps a bit more interesting. I think the main suite is exellent for the most part but kind if loses it's way after funky dung, personally I think they should have extended that jam them gone back to the main theme and finished it like they did live without the orchestra. Of the 3 solo tracks I like I like fat old sun best mainly because of the great solo at the end although like people have said it was alot better live. Like Gonzo Alans Brekky is probabley my favourite track aswell, the floyd seemed to be the only band who could do this kind of thing without either sounding too silly or getting too serious.
JML
Hammer
Hammer

Post by JML »

AHM is a great album. I liked it from the first time I listened it.
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

AHM is wonderful. Wouldnt change a thing!!
Eugene
Axe
Axe

AHM

Post by Eugene »

Simply FANTASTIC!

Regards and be careful with that axe...

Eugene
movement
Axe
Axe

Mediocre

Post by movement »

I think it is mediocre.
I've never been a fan of the title track. I can sometimes get into it, but I usually think it is pretty pointless. I have no use for Alan or his breakfast.
The middle three songs lead me to believe the album could have been better if they spent more time on it. I like all three, although If and Fat Old Sun come off much better live. I think one of the reasons I like the live work from this period so much is that they improve so significantly over the studio work.