Animals and Animal Farm

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Animals and Animal Farm

Post by seamusz »

I have read that Waters denied that the Animals album had anything to do with George Orwells novel Animal Farm, but as I listen to it I can't help but see clear likenesses. Granted pigs, sheep, and dogs have charictaristics that are going to be similar in any description, but I still think that the novel was at least a motivating factor in this album's lyrics. That's just my feelings, and I must admit that I haven't read much of the Pink Floyd facts about the subject, Ive heard there has been a good amount of articles and such on it.

So I will dip into the great well of knowledge in this forum.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Animals and Animal Farm

Post by Keith Jordan »

seamusz wrote:I have read that Waters denied that the Animals album had anything to do with George Orwells novel Animal Farm, but as I listen to it I can't help but see clear likenesses.
I think roger is a liar and as let himself and others down by denying it! :D It has the same theme and characters as the book. It is a musical form of orwells classic.
Charade I am
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Charade I am »

Keith Jordan wrote: I think roger is a liar and as let himself and others down by denying it! :D It has the same theme and characters as the book. It is a musical form of orwells classic.

I agree...and you know what? I think the band is also lying about the synch with the wizard of oz and DSOTM, the similarities are just too many to deny it...IMO
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

Charade I am wrote:
Keith Jordan wrote: I think roger is a liar and as let himself and others down by denying it! :D It has the same theme and characters as the book. It is a musical form of orwells classic.

I agree...and you know what? I think the band is also lying about the synch with the wizard of oz and DSOTM, the similarities are just too many to deny it...IMO
I differ with the Wiz of Oz. I've done it many times and am convinced that it's just one of those things, if they did mean to do it, I think that they woud have done a better job, IMVHO.
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by princessDungan74D »

I agree that he is lying about it too. They are so alike.
Charade I am
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Charade I am »

seamusz wrote: I differ with the Wiz of Oz. I've done it many times and am convinced that it's just one of those things, if they did mean to do it, I think that they woud have done a better job, IMVHO.
I?ve also thought about that...it could be too, you know, but it?s just such an amazing synch to really think they didn?t have anything to with it. It just breaks my mind. :twisted:

Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

Charade I am wrote:
seamusz wrote: I differ with the Wiz of Oz. I've done it many times and am convinced that it's just one of those things, if they did mean to do it, I think that they woud have done a better job, IMVHO.
I?ve also thought about that...it could be too, you know, but it?s just such an amazing synch to really think they didn?t have anything to with it. It just breaks my mind. :twisted:
The thing that makes me wonder the most if it was purposeful is that Money starts the INSTANT that the film turns to color. psyco :-s
Charade I am
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Charade I am »

Yeah! things like that, you know...and when the twister appears you can hear the screams on The Great Gig in The Sky. ?????????????????????? Just.......speachless...or at the end of the movie, when dorothy gets back home again....the lyrics you hear are: Home, home again, I like to be here when I can......???? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: .....I can go on and on and on and on naming all the similarities that there are....

Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

It had to of been done on purpose by somebody. Rather it was Roger, Alan, or God. It wasn't by accident.
Piper
Knife
Knife

Post by Piper »

I've read somewhere that Animal Farm was one of Waters' favorite books. I think Animals is quite clearly based on Orwell's classic, and whether Rog denies it or not the parallels are there. However the dogs seem more of a more independant and powerful force in the album (as opposed to being just the pigs' police force in the book) and the pigs seem less powerful than they were in the book, so its not an exact likeness.
Alternative 4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Alternative 4 »

I thought Roger said that while recording the album he notices simlilarities between the two so named his album animals (i cant believe i just called it Rogers album)
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

So he wanted it to relate to the book? I thought that he denied all affiliation of the album and the book.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Roger has said that he never cared for the book.

Now...if Roger IS the egomaniac that he's said to be, this seems (to me) to be evidence that he DID base the album on the book. It's typical of the egomaniac to denigrate the original source of their inspiration so as to make their own work look all the better and more original.

HOWEVER...it's not really THAT similar. Roger's lyrics don't paint a picture of animals acting like humans...he shows humans acting like animals.

So, it would then seem to be a sort of "looking glass" version of Animal Farm.

Orwell's book is a criticism of communist Russia...Roger's lyrics are a criticism of capitalist societies.

Both works, ultimately, deal with the same theme...that of man's inhumanity towards man.

I, personally, don't really care if Roger based it on the book or not.

Read the book...listen to the album...and then THINK.
Ridan
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Ridan »

Piper wrote:I've read somewhere that Animal Farm was one of Waters' favorite books. I think Animals is quite clearly based on Orwell's classic, and whether Rog denies it or not the parallels are there. However the dogs seem more of a more independant and powerful force in the album (as opposed to being just the pigs' police force in the book) and the pigs seem less powerful than they were in the book, so its not an exact likeness.
Yep I remember reading some where about Roger being an Orwell reader.
nightmare
Blade
Blade

Post by nightmare »

mosespa wrote:Roger has said that he never cared for the book.

Now...if Roger IS the egomaniac that he's said to be, this seems (to me) to be evidence that he DID base the album on the book. It's typical of the egomaniac to denigrate the original source of their inspiration so as to make their own work look all the better and more original.

HOWEVER...it's not really THAT similar. Roger's lyrics don't paint a picture of animals acting like humans...he shows humans acting like animals.

So, it would then seem to be a sort of "looking glass" version of Animal Farm.

Orwell's book is a criticism of communist Russia...Roger's lyrics are a criticism of capitalist societies.

Both works, ultimately, deal with the same theme...that of man's inhumanity towards man.

I, personally, don't really care if Roger based it on the book or not.

Read the book...listen to the album...and then THINK.
just like orwell used animals to descirbe communist russia, maybe roger used orwell's book to describe capitalism. :?