Animals and Animal Farm

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Piper
Knife
Knife

Post by Piper »

Interesting thought :-k

I can see Dogs being interepreted as a rant about capitalism, but not the other two. Pigs is about people rather than politics; Sheep refers to a authoritarian regime that gets overthrown only to be reborn, similar to the gist of the Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again".. Sheep is perhaps the most "true" to the world portrayed in Animal Farm out of all the three songs.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

I think Pigs is about the monstor's capitalism creates. The fats cats, chavs and Mary Whitehouse.

k, i dunno about the last one, but fats cats are those who benefit from capitalism while chavs certaily don't.

Sheep seems to be about religion blinding people from the truth, like it's about an opressive regime (or whatever the word is) based upon religion like that of Sadam. In this case the song seems to be about a rebelion, yet a rebelion that can't happen (hence the return t normality at the end of the song as the sheep are heard again baaing away.)

Don't see how Sheep really fits the concept actually. I do however follow the Phil Rose idea that the album follows a story so i guess it ties in in that way.
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

There's nothing wrong with someone being inspired by another person or anothers body of work or even an event. Inspiration has to come from somewhere; it's not always from within. It's obvious to me that Roger was inspired by Animal Farm; his creative juices took over from there.
madcap69
Hammer
Hammer

Post by madcap69 »

maybe he dont realise he, was inspired by the book. Both are good