Comfortably Numb 06/07: Rog Finally Gets It Right

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Comfortably Numb 06/07: Rog Finally Gets It Right

Post by Tenniru »

I've been listening to versions of Comfortably Numb played on Rog's North American tour onwards. Something has struck me; ever since Manhattan, it seems Kilminster and White managed to hammer out a great, new, and passionate solo. Instead of filling space with noise and random fiddling, they made a complete, new, solid solo that leaves room for improvization but without fragmentary musical gibberish.

My favorite version of Comfortably Numb doesn't feature David Gilmour. The version at Bristow left me in awe, and although the audience recording doesn't sound great it revealed to me just how good it was.

It seems Rog finally has a team that can replace Gilmour. Sadly, that doesn't always mean they DO: Fairweather-Low could play the kickass Money solo from 1987, but instead Kilminster tries (and fails) to imitate Gilmour.
If they were just given room to be themselves, Rog would have the magic three guitarists to bring back the Floyd minus Dave.

Does anyone else here think the Kilminster/White version of Comfortably Numb is amazing?
oyv666
Blade
Blade

Post by oyv666 »

In my ears, no one can ever play this song or any other Floyd song better then Gilmour ! just as no one can sing it better then Waters !
You can't replace either of them and make it sound better!
fatoldbob
Judge!
Judge!

Post by fatoldbob »

Tenniru -

I'm usually in agreement with you, but I have to take exception here.

Maybe it's a hit and miss thing, but the CN solo at the Waters Shoreline show I was at this fall was disjointed and clumsy. I think one of the strengths of how David plays the final solo is that it always seems effortless to him. The smoothness of the bends and timing of the sustained notes punctuates the melodic nature of David's playing. Gilmour describes it as how "the notes come off my fingers."

I can't imagine having a favorite CN that Gilmour isn't playing.

EDIT:

Just to clarify, I really enjoyed the Shoreline gig. I thought Killminster did a credible job throughout. I just think CN is an iconic song that only Gilmour can pull off.
Last edited by fatoldbob on Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
FloydCouncil
Hammer
Hammer

Post by FloydCouncil »

I'm with FatOldBob here. At the Dubai gig, I was a bit disappointed by Time's guitar solo. Well, I wasn't disappointed I was just underwhelmed by Time and Comfortably Numb. And while the version of Wish You Were Here was excellent, I really missed Gilmour in it.

Don't get me wrong here, the band is just FANTASTIC, its just Roger Waters and David Gilmour compliment each so well!
oyv666
Blade
Blade

Post by oyv666 »

Here is the solo from Bristow :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3DIxE_erFo

Doesn't even come close to Gilmour in my opinion..
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Sonic Destruction »

Iwas so blown away by Roger's screen shots :shock: :D , I can't even remember the solo! :oops:
FloydCouncil
Hammer
Hammer

Post by FloydCouncil »

Pat Albertson wrote:Iwas so blown away by Roger's screen shots :shock: :D , I can't even remember the solo! :oops:
Oh yes! The visuals were amazing - in every song. My favourite was probably Sheep though and the visuals that were on before the concert began. lol, I love how he changes the radio quickly when ABBA comes on!!
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

oyv666 wrote:Here is the solo from Bristow :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3DIxE_erFo

Doesn't even come close to Gilmour in my opinion..
haha is it my ears or can I hear a load of bagpipes in that solo??? :lol:
oyv666
Blade
Blade

Post by oyv666 »

About the visuals....when did he start using that big pryamid with lasers..? does he bring that to every show now ? looks cool..
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Sonic Destruction »

FloydCouncil wrote:
Pat Albertson wrote:Iwas so blown away by Roger's screen shots :shock: :D , I can't even remember the solo! :oops:
Oh yes! The visuals were amazing - in every song. My favourite was probably Sheep though and the visuals that were on before the concert began. lol, I love how he changes the radio quickly when ABBA comes on!!
Yeah, just freakin' incredible. I am almost moved to tears just remembering it all!

Can't remember the laser pyramid, though. What song was that in?

Someone please tell either Roger or the Hop The Pond guys that these shows need to be immortalised on film!
oyv666
Blade
Blade

Post by oyv666 »

Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

Woah, when did video of Bristow surface? Is there a better lift of the full show (not just YouTube bits)? I'd kill for a full VoIO of the show I was at (and it seems the camera's mic surpassed the other Set 2 source, too).
MadJedi
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Comfortably Numb 06/07: Rog Finally Gets It Right

Post by MadJedi »

Tenniru wrote: Does anyone else here think the Kilminster/White version of Comfortably Numb is amazing?
makes me want to stick a butter knife in my ears so i dont have to listen to it.
Gilmour has performed stuff that he should not do without Waters and Vice versa but IMO Waters should not attempt anything that Gilmour sang or had "classic solos" in. they NEVER sound as good.
Waters says Gilmours Pink Floyd is a Coverband, when live they sound 10 fold more "album like" then Roger Waters.
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

Odd. I guess I'm the only one.

I've found most Dave versions of Comfortably Numb (live, that is) to be bloated after the main section of the second solo; the various riffs, effects, and fragments Dave tossed into the song are too disorganized for me (if he made them flow better, I'd like them more). This usually was the problem with most other guitarists' takes, but Kilminster and White do a nice job of fidding about without getting lost in the midst of the solo before doing a great harmonization in the end.

I also like the "crowd of people" style of singing Rog has used to replace Dave; all three backup girls plus Kilminster (and Carin?) for Breathe and Comfortably Numb. Also, Carin does a great job on Us And Them, IMO; he apparently listened to the song enough from 1987 to 1994 to get it burnt permanently into his mind.

I also like how Rog had the balls to replace Dave's vocals on Time; he hasn't done something that blunt since singing Money in '84. I do wish Carin worked more on his Wright imitation, and Money's vocals could be done in a totally new fashion (make P.P. Arnold sing it!).
Rog's band can be as good as the Floyd, but to do that they have to do new things and sounds less like a traditional cover band and more like some experimental musicians; less like The Machine and more like the Blue Floyd, if that makes sense.
They did it in '87 pretty well, I think.
oyv666
Blade
Blade

Post by oyv666 »

Rog's band can be as good as Floyd ?? what have you been drinking this weekend ?