Comfortably Numb 06/07: Rog Finally Gets It Right

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

David's touring band last year was the nearest thing to Pink Floyd because he had Rick on board plus latter day regulars Guy Pratt and Jon Carin. Roger's show was more Pink Floyd-like both in scale and in terms of its presentation.
FloydCouncil
Hammer
Hammer

Post by FloydCouncil »

They are both excellent shows and only stand to prove that if they decide to tour as Pink Floyd, they'll still rock as if its 1977.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

That's true. It's great that all four of them are still able to do live shows in their sixties. Long may it continue.
nemesis11f
Blade
Blade

Post by nemesis11f »

oyv666 wrote:Rog's band can be as good as Floyd ?? what have you been drinking this weekend ?
A healthy glass of MGD, a shot of common sense, objectivity, and an appreication for oustanding music, showmanship, and ability to entertain. Waters has no need for Gilmour any longer, and he sure as hell pulls the audience in much better than Gilmour, who just has no personality on stage. The CN solo at Bristow was by far the best from the tour, and the vids on Youtube are much better than the ones I shot, and I consider myself blessed to have been there.
oyv666
Blade
Blade

Post by oyv666 »

I was at a Roger show to,,and it was awesome !
but they can not create that special Pink Floyd mood and sound without Gilmour and Wright,,,saying anything else is stupid!
It's easyer for Roger to be a showman on stage since the band produce most of the sound,,so he has time to wave his arms in the air, running around and stuff...
David is pretty buissy with everything he has to play and sing...and turning all those effect pedals on & off..
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

oyv666 wrote:Rog's band can be as good as Floyd ?? what have you been drinking this weekend ?
Not with original material (although to be fair they haven't had a chance to prove themselves), but performance-wise they could be amazing if given a chance to play around. I prefer Rog's recent CN renditions over many PF versions, the 1984 version of WYWH over the original, the 1987 solo on Money over Dave's regular version (although the Gilmour/Pratt/Page/Wright jams wipe the floor with everything else), Rog's solo renditions of Set The Controls over most classic versions (except the sprawling 16-minute Rotterdam '71 take), his 1984 Welcome To The Machine over the '77 and '87-'89 takes, and I generally prefer all of Rog's band's drumming over Nick (it's diffirent if Gary Wallis is tossed in, though).

Now, there are some Dave songs that Rog's band would not be able to play, but I doubt Rog is going to try Sorrow or Coming Back To Life anytime soon. I also still favor Rick on keys over Jon Carin and Harry Waters, and Guy Pratt over Roger Waters on bass. Then again, my favorite bassist is Tina Weymouth, so take that last bit with an even bigger grain of salt.

They can't be the same, but if they were diffirent, they'd be as good.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

Roger's 1984 lineup easily could have outplayed the 1987-1994 Floyd.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

i really start to have problems listening to 87-94 live Floyd lately. Way too much drumming. That whole percussion stuff is getting on my nerves. And Graham Broad is really getting a great feeling for the Floyd stuff (his drumming on Dogs or STCFTHOTS and the intro of Time is awesome)

as for the CN solo, it just doesn´t sound right if its no played on a Strat... change your guitar for that solo Snowy :lol:
oyv666
Blade
Blade

Post by oyv666 »

I agree on "Set the controls",, that was incredible !! my favourit version of it too..
and i think he did Sheep better then ever before..

But wtf is he doing to "shine on",,dropping the intro ..?
ruins the whole song for me...i was tempted to booo insted of applauding..
sabrinak
Embryo
Embryo

Post by sabrinak »

My favorite Comfortably numb is from "In the flesh" video with Doyle and Snowy, love that solo ending . Don't miss Gilmour at all, Kilminster does it a great justice also.
sabrinak
Embryo
Embryo

Post by sabrinak »

[You're not the only one, I've listend to a few myself and agree 100 % with you, I attended 4 Roger shows last year and each one sounded better than the other. Roger is perfectionist to the last riff, the band is just fantastic and and almost perfect on every gig unlike Gilmour and Co.

quote="Tenniru"]Odd. I guess I'm the only one.

I've found most Dave versions of Comfortably Numb (live, that is) to be bloated after the main section of the second solo; the various riffs, effects, and fragments Dave tossed into the song are too disorganized for me (if he made them flow better, I'd like them more). This usually was the problem with most other guitarists' takes, but Kilminster and White do a nice job of fidding about without getting lost in the midst of the solo before doing a great harmonization in the end.

I also like the "crowd of people" style of singing Rog has used to replace Dave; all three backup girls plus Kilminster (and Carin?) for Breathe and Comfortably Numb. Also, Carin does a great job on Us And Them, IMO; he apparently listened to the song enough from 1987 to 1994 to get it burnt permanently into his mind.

I also like how Rog had the balls to replace Dave's vocals on Time; he hasn't done something that blunt since singing Money in '84. I do wish Carin worked more on his Wright imitation, and Money's vocals could be done in a totally new fashion (make P.P. Arnold sing it!).
Rog's band can be as good as the Floyd, but to do that they have to do new things and sounds less like a traditional cover band and more like some experimental musicians; less like The Machine and more like the Blue Floyd, if that makes sense.
They did it in '87 pretty well, I think.[/quote]
sabrinak
Embryo
Embryo

Post by sabrinak »

Egg nog lol, Sounds like a Gilmour fanatic to me.
GilmourGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by GilmourGirl »

oyv666 wrote:In my ears, no one can ever play this song or any other Floyd song better then Gilmour ! just as no one can sing it better then Waters !
You can't replace either of them and make it sound better!

well said!!!!! :D
peesea
Knife
Knife

Post by peesea »

After seeing his current tour I thought that where Rog DID nail "comfortably numb" was vocally. Fairweather-low and Carin doing the Gilmour parts were just brilliant. Gilmours versions without Waters always sound so shit until he gets into his verses and the solos. Pratt wailing away with Wright always sounds so....flat. :/.
As for the guitar in Rogs show, wonderful, but it's only Snowy that's soloing freestyle. Kilminster was playing Gilmours solos in the show I saw (and in the boots I've seen/heard).
As for Snowys solos, they are great, but can be a little hit and miss. He can sometimes get the hairs on the back of your neck standing up...other times he's just filling in space with noodling. All so dependant on the night.

In sumation. Waters does a better Job of presenting what Floyd mean to me than Gilmour does. His current tour is excellent. Daves is great, if a little boring. To compare apples with apples I'd have to say that Rogers current presentation of DSOTM is MUCH better than the shows Dave did in 94 (pulse). This isn't so surprising though. Roger has always known about light and shade and how to create a real emotional impact with a live show. Dave, great musician that he is, lacks....um, how to say this, a clarity of vision somehow. Spending more money on lasers just doesnt cut it.
sabrinak
Embryo
Embryo

Post by sabrinak »

oyv666 wrote:Here is the solo from Bristow :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3DIxE_erFo

Doesn't even come close to Gilmour in my opinion..
Dude, that was one of the best verisons I've ever heard; not even The WAll live shows could compare to this versions vocaly and instrumentaly
WOW! Kilminster is genius