what the hell's a Rhull??

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Piper
Knife
Knife

what the hell's a Rhull??

Post by Piper »

I always found "Let There Be More Light" from SoS an entertaining track, very spacey and psychedelic. I wonder tho about some of that gibberish that Waters screams in this song..
e.g.
"Carter's father saw it there
and knew the Rhull revealed to him
the living soul of Hereward the Ware!!"

did he yank it out of some sci-fi story (Mason has said that they ate up sci-fi books back then) or some Welsh fairy tale (or whatever) or was just trying to imitate Syd's whimsy and was really stoned/drunk when he wrote it?
rollinder
Blade
Blade

Post by rollinder »

There's some possible explinations here (some of it sounds like guesswork)
A Saucerful Of Secrets

from http://www.angelfire.com/home/FloydWate ... /asos.html
"The "Rhull" may be a reference to a science-fiction book by A.E. Van Voght titled The War Against the Rull, but this one is a bit uncertain."

I've also found a page about Littleport Cambridgeshire which mentions " to the east of the village is 'Burnt Fen' which is traditionally thought to relate to the 'scorched earth' policy of Hereward the Wake. - The Cambridgeshire Fens - BBC Radio Cambridgeshire"
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

Love let there be more light! Aerosmiths sweet emotion begining sounds similar to its begining... hmmm... or I'm just going crazy....
Alternative 4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Alternative 4 »

Meddler wrote:Love let there be more light! Aerosmiths sweet emotion begining sounds similar to its begining... hmmm... or I'm just going crazy....
Probably not, the placebo song Taste in men has a similar intro aswell.