was TOOL influenced by the pink floyd??

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
white rabbit
Hammer
Hammer

was TOOL influenced by the pink floyd??

Post by white rabbit »

i don't know if anybody else in here listens to TOOL or not, their latest hit was "Schism". but i really think that their music is very floydian in structure. their sound is nothing like the floyd's, but the make-up sounds the same, i think.
SomeGhostsStepOut
Hammer
Hammer

Re: was TOOL influenced by the pink floyd??

Post by SomeGhostsStepOut »

I think Tool was greatly influenced by Pink Floyd greatly! Many bands get influenced by another.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

If you need to know whether or not they're influenced by Floyd, just look at their artwork...

There is a (sometimes hidden, sometimes not) picture in the artwork of Undertow that shows a cow licking it's own buttocks...the cow looks a bit like the cow on Atom Heart Mother and is in a similar pose...except for the tounge.

I think that the cover of AEnima is a bit influenced by the cover of DSOTM...could just be me, though.

However, the cover of Lateralus is obscured by a black slipcover in much the same way the the cover of WYWH was originally obscured by black shrinkwrap.

Guitarist Adam Jones oversees all visual aspects of the bands work...from album covers to music videos and has claimed Pink Floyd as an influence in more than one interview.

Yes...they are quite influenced by PF.

I believe them to be the modern Floyd, in fact.

And opinion that is rather controversial.
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

Yes, it is true. They always mention King Crimson, Pink Floyd and Yes as their most important inspiration. In one of their interview they also said, that they want to be somehow "faceless", anonymous, because music is the only thing that matters, and that they always admired how PF managed to keep apart private life and career, being very appreciated by fans but never becoming pop stars.
I can also see many similarities in the way they use back projections, films and lights during the show. I have seen Tool's concert two years ago and I can still remember my impression of musicians hidden somewhere in the back of stage, and those amazing Adam Jones' films being shown on a huge screen. It suited their mysterious and disquieting music very much.
Very good band, indeed.
Useful Idiot
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Useful Idiot »

mosespa wrote:really good post
I agree with everything in that post. Even Tool being the Floyd of today.
SaintCrest
Axe
Axe

Post by SaintCrest »

i have the tool cover of comfortably numb.... they dont sing the song and it sounds much different but you can tell its cn
Useful Idiot
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Useful Idiot »

SaintCrest wrote:i have the tool cover of comfortably numb.... they dont sing the song and it sounds much different but you can tell its cn
That's not Tool. Tool has never covered CN. I fear you have been tricked by the world of kazaa.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

SaintCrest wrote:i have the tool cover of comfortably numb.... they dont sing the song and it sounds much different but you can tell its cn
It sounds to me like the mp3 you are referring to is David Gilmour's original demo of CN.
SaintCrest
Axe
Axe

Post by SaintCrest »

its like 2.39 minutes long.. so whatever *shrugs*
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

SaintCrest wrote:its like 2.39 minutes long.. so whatever *shrugs*
I've got the same thing. I got it off Limewire. I thought that it was Tool too.
movement
Axe
Axe

Tool and PF

Post by movement »

There are clear similarities. Musically the most important thing I noticed is the general avoidance of the verse chorus bridge etc. structure of most pop songs. I just wish they were a little more prolific :D
CHR15
Axe
Axe

Post by CHR15 »

haha. That's funny. MMMMMMM du du du du du. Deffinitly sounds like dave to me.