FOR GODS SAKE ROGER ' YOU ARE NOW "SOLO".

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
pinksmile
Axe
Axe

FOR GODS SAKE ROGER ' YOU ARE NOW "SOLO".

Post by pinksmile »

Roger Waters has been a solo performer for what 20 years now ? And his set lists still contain around 75% ( GIVE OR TAKE ) of Pink Floyd material. Hey ' i love the Floyd dearly ' but i honestly believe that he would benefit greatly if he converted that 75% of Floyd into 75% solo material. Surely he would be doing himself justice ( NOT TO MENTION THE BLOODY FANS ) by performing a 75\25 split of Solo\Floyd respectively. I know there will be a percentage of views along the lines of " THE FLOYD STUFF IS WHAT PEOPLE ARE PAYING TO HEAR " and " NO-ONE KNOWS HIS SOLO STUFF " but ask yourself ' am i for real and is this guy performing ' for real. If you are going to see ROGER WATERS in concert ( AND PAY TOP DOLLAR TO SEE HIM )the 75\25 ratio mentioned above is what you should be paying for ' not the 25\75 ratio we have all been beaten to death with constantly since 1987. Roger ' stand up and be counted and don't continue to sell yourself out just to satisfy the bank balance ( OR WHOEVER ). At least if you have the BALLS to perform a 75\25 split and only sell out half a venue ' you know that " half a venue " is full of ROGER WATERS fans. Not just casual hangers on who dont know anything about you outside the pink box. Roger Waters i ask you - are you a SOLO ARTIST \ PERFORMER ? or are you still a member of PINK FLOYD working under the banner of " SOLO ARTIST \ PERFORMER " ?
Last edited by pinksmile on Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
generalhooha
Blade
Blade
Location: Deep beneath the rolling waves, in labyrinths of coral caves.

Post by generalhooha »

I do not mind him playing Floyd at all, but that is probably because I never was able to see the original Floyd concerts. I wish that he added more Pros & Cons and Final Cut to his lineup though.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

If he played 75% his stuff and 25% Floyd the place would be empty. Ive seen Rog on all of his solo tours and the solo stuff gives you a chance to top up on beer and to off load the last beer - People only go to see the Floyd stuff. One of the whole points of going to a concert is to come out feeling better - not to leave and give the Samaritans a quick call
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Well, since he likes performing again, you know, that special connection with the audience, you'd think solo material in an intimate setting would be up his ally...or is it opera he prefers? Oh, I guess it is one last hurrah for the old coat isn't it...time is ticking away...
narcissus
Axe
Axe

Post by narcissus »

drafsack wrote:If he played 75% his stuff and 25% Floyd the place would be empty. Ive seen Rog on all of his solo tours and the solo stuff gives you a chance to top up on beer and to off load the last beer - People only go to see the Floyd stuff. One of the whole points of going to a concert is to come out feeling better - not to leave and give the Samaritans a quick call
Unfortunately (for Roger), this is true. When I saw him last year, a few notes into his first non-Pink Floyd song, it was as if this was an immediate signal to the audience to begin the mass exodus towards the bathrooms and concession stands. For anyone with a lesser ego, I'm sure this would be something of a smack in the face.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

so that a chance to see the show without a bunch of beerdrinking yahoos standing up on their chairs and blocking your view
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I'm a beer drinking yahoo, who was so polite and sheep-like at his concert in September...
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Correct me if I'm wrong...but wasn't Roger Waters the primary songwriter of Pink Floyd?

There's nothing wrong with a solo artist who was once a member of a band playing material by that band if he was the primary creative force behind the material he plays.

To suggest otherwise is to insult what he did before going solo.
Dowie100

Post by Dowie100 »

mosespa wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong...but wasn't Roger Waters the primary songwriter of Pink Floyd?

There's nothing wrong with a solo artist who was once a member of a band playing material by that band if he was the primary creative force behind the material he plays.

You are correct, but I would like him to play more solo stuff ala "In the Flesh" that was a decent enough mix for me :D
Freddie Mercury
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Freddie Mercury »

I think Roger agrees with the original post...but considers most of his work with Pink Floyd as solo material ;)
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Dowie100 wrote:
mosespa wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong...but wasn't Roger Waters the primary songwriter of Pink Floyd?

You are correct, but I would like him to play more solo stuff ala "In the Flesh" that was a decent enough mix for me :D
I agree that In The Flesh was almost a perfect balance. My only qualm is that I would have liked to have heard some stuff from KAOS.

However, from what I've heard, guys like you and I would be the only ones interested in hearing Roger's solo material.

It still stands...the majority of the people who go to see a Roger Waters show have NO interest in his solo material...they're there to hear Pink Floyd music.
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

My favorite Rog setlist was '87. It was the most underrated show concept ever, placing the concept into the concept; during the events of Radio KAOS, Jim Ladd has the Bleeding Heart Band as special guests in the studio playing other songs. The stage had some doors, chairs, a monitor, a DJ's desk, and the like. There was a phone booth at the edge of the stage where people from all over the KAOS listening area (i.e. the audience) could call in to Rog.

Musically, it did a unique balancing of "new album" and "old favorites" by playing the whole album with other stuff interjected in it (which I don't think anyone has done before). Diversity was combined with a healthy dose of old favorites.

And they were old favorites his band could handle. Not Gilmourian monoliths they had to struggle desperately to try to match, but things they pretty much could pull off beautifully with a little freedom.

If Rog went on a 50/50 Floyd/Solo tour, I'd be really happy. Blend in new songs from the upcoming album project, Each Small Candle, Amused To Death, KAOS, Pros/Cons, and maybe The Body for a laugh and you have something great.
lovescene4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by lovescene4 »

What about "Towers Of Faith"...? (strong tune).
kardyl
Axe
Axe

Post by kardyl »

I went to his concert not knowing what the setlist was, but expecting to have a good mix - I came out with expectations met.

I would have preferred a more solo aspect to the show, with more than 1 "new" song. Certainly it was good to hear Dark Side performed live but I would much rather of seen/heard that from the Floyd and not a cover band. I would have been very happy to have had a 100% Roger show - with a whole bunch of new stuff that was unheard of previously - as we all have the Floyd albums anyway that we can listen to anytime.

Roger is welcome back at anytime, so are Dave, Nick and Rick - either individual or as a pair - or fan willing as a group.

Thanks
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Tenniru wrote:My favorite Rog setlist was '87. It was the most underrated show concept ever, placing the concept into the concept; during the events of Radio KAOS, Jim Ladd has the Bleeding Heart Band as special guests in the studio playing other songs. The stage had some doors, chairs, a monitor, a DJ's desk, and the like. There was a phone booth at the edge of the stage where people from all over the KAOS listening area (i.e. the audience) could call in to Rog.

Musically, it did a unique balancing of "new album" and "old favorites" by playing the whole album with other stuff interjected in it (which I don't think anyone has done before). Diversity was combined with a healthy dose of old favorites.

And they were old favorites his band could handle. Not Gilmourian monoliths they had to struggle desperately to try to match, but things they pretty much could pull off beautifully with a little freedom.

If Rog went on a 50/50 Floyd/Solo tour, I'd be really happy. Blend in new songs from the upcoming album project, Each Small Candle, Amused To Death, KAOS, Pros/Cons, and maybe The Body for a laugh and you have something great.
Those KAOS shows were really good and some of the songs were refocused during the show to give tham a different meaning. And like you said the concept of the whole show seemed to be this is the Jim Ladd radio show and here are mt special guests - even down to the "radio phone in"