2007 tour - Why must it be DSOTM again ?

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
DoctorFloyd

Post by DoctorFloyd »

I'd say I have a reasonable idea of the things he's done since Pink Floyd, and I do like some of it, especially Amused To Death - but in essence that is correct, I am mainly going because I get to hear Floyd music played good and loud, and by one/possibly two, of the original band members. Sorry Rog, but that's how it is.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Simply put, his solo music just isn't as good and i'm sure he knows that. If we wants to give audiences the best show he can then there's no point in playing his solo album (all of them over 15 years old) in their entirety.

If he tours his new album when it finally comes out then i can only assume the set will place an emphasis on it
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

An idea :idea: - do The Wall next :D
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

DoctorFloyd wrote:I'd say I have a reasonable idea of the things he's done since Pink Floyd, and I do like some of it, especially Amused To Death - but in essence that is correct, I am mainly going because I get to hear Floyd music played good and loud, and by one/possibly two, of the original band members. Sorry Rog, but that's how it is.
Yes, that's the way the most of his audience thinks. Sad but true. But I think he's already figured that out since he's playing less and less of his solo material over the years... I don't know if anybody would even go to his show if he did only his own stuff. I mean, I would, but then I would miss all the Floyd stuff he did and it's a kind of a vicious circle... That's the way it works. :(
AtomHeartMomma
Knife
Knife

Re:

Post by AtomHeartMomma »

moom wrote:An idea :idea: - do The Wall next :D

There was a rumor circulating last year that Roger was considering doing "The Wall" on Broadway, in NYC. It never happened. Instead, he did a Dark Side Of The Moon tour.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Re:

Post by drafsack »

AtomHeartMomma wrote:
moom wrote:An idea :idea: - do The Wall next :D

There was a rumor circulating last year that Roger was considering doing "The Wall" on Broadway, in NYC. It never happened. Instead, he did a Dark Side Of The Moon tour.
That was going to be a stage show and Rog may not have starred in it,
AtomHeartMomma
Knife
Knife

Re:

Post by AtomHeartMomma »

[quote="Yucateco"]Why "again"? Its the first time ever Roger plays DSOTM.[/quote

I think "again" because his tour of 2006 was "DSOTM" tour and then this year, 2007, several different venues were booked, along with some of those venues from last year, tickets went on sale again, and it was again called "DSOTM" tour.

Yes, P.U.L.S.E. included the entire DSOTM, but the early shows of that concert did not include DSOTM in its entirety. The Floyd shows at Yankee Stadium in NYC in June, 1994 included many Dark Side songs, as did Delicate Sound of Thunder, and Roger's "In The Flesh", but none of those concerts stated it was a "DSOTM" tour. In July, 1994, at Giant Stadium, in New Jersey, Dark Side was done in full, and some were calling it "DSOTM" tour.

Hope this clears things up...
corie
Judge!
Judge!

Re: 2007 tour - Why must it be DSOTM again ?

Post by corie »

Here's what they said 3 years ago !

Mottola To Build 'The Wall' On Broadway

August 05, 2004, 10:20 AM ET

Ian Mohr, The Hollywood Reporter
Miramax Films has pacted with Casablanca Records head Thomas Mottola to develop and produce a Broadway musical based on Pink Floyd's seminal rock opera "The Wall." Roger Waters, who co-founded Pink Floyd in 1965 and conceived the 1979 concept double album, will write the Broadway show's book and arrange and orchestrate music for the stage production.

The album, which includes such Pink Floyd classics as "Comfortably Numb" and "Hey You," follows the journey of disillusioned rock star Pink, who looks back at the experiences that forged his neuroses.

Rights on the project were sold by Waters to Miramax and Mottola, the former Sony Music head and founder of management and production firm the Mottola Co.

Mottola initiated the "Wall" deal, bringing Miramax co-chairman Harvey Weinstein into the fold. Weinstein has experience as a producer on the Great White Way, having been credited on such shows as "The Producers," "Gypsy" and Baz Luhrmann's "La Boheme." He also is bringing another rock'n'roll project to Broadway with "All Shook Up."

"There are few projects as timeless as 'The Wall,'" Mottola says. "Even after two decades since its first release, 'The Wall' continues to break through every generational, socioeconomic and political boundary."

Pink Floyd's "The Wall" album is certified 23 times platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America and sits in third place on the organization's list of best-selling albums ever. It was adapted into a 1982 MGM film starring Bob Geldof and directed by Alan Parker ("The Commitments") from a script by Waters.

Pink Floyd's theatrical live performances of "The Wall" became the stuff of rock legend, and an $8 million production was staged in Berlin in 1990.

Says Waters of the planned Broadway show, "Now I can write in some laughs, notable by their absence in the movie."