My Review of Wet Dream

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
generalhooha
Blade
Blade
Location: Deep beneath the rolling waves, in labyrinths of coral caves.

My Review of Wet Dream

Post by generalhooha »

I am not sure which forum this should be, but I will put it here for now. This CD needs to be appreciated by more.

In 1978 Richard Wright released his first solo album: Wet Dream. <i>Wet Dream</i> sold much fewer copies than Gilmour's first solo released the same year, <i>David Gilmour</i>. Personally, I enjoy <I>Wet Dream</i> over <i>David Gilmour</i>.

The album begins with an instrumental "Mediterranean C". This song sounds like "Atom Heart Mother". It has a jazzy sounding sax solo in the middle and ends with Snowy White's guitar (with a different feel than Gilmour). 8/10.

The second song, "Against The Odds", is the first vocal track on the album. This is the first time Wright's voice has been heard since "Time". It is amazing. He sings a bit lower than we are used to, giving his voice a nice calming feel. Musically this song is a little slower than the previous track. It ends again with Snowy White. 7/10.

The next song on the album is "Cat Cruise". The saxophone in this song is great. It has a little smooth jazz feel, which I am not too big a fan of, but Wright pulls it off. 7.5/10.

"Summer Elegy" is the second vocal track. The piano in this song is my favorite, very relaxing. Wright's voice is the best here. It switches from being doubled to solo, which he pulls off very well. The guitar solo in the middle is the best on the album. It sounds the most Gilmourish on the album. 8.5/10.

"Waves", again, has good saxophone, but the song is not really as good as the previous instrumentals. 6.5/10.

"Holiday" is the best song on <i>Wet Dream</i>. While the vocals are weaker than the previous songs, its powerful chorus is catchy enough to bump this song to the top on this album. It is possibly one of Wright's best songs. 10/10.

I usually stop the album at this point, as the next four tracks do not fit here as well as the previous songs.

"Mad Yannis Dance" is an instrumential with nothing much happening. It sounds a bit like the middle of "Poles Apart". 6.5/10.

"Drop in From the Top" is the most rockish song here. The guitar is solid, but it does not really agree with the mood of the other songs. 7.5/10.

"Pink's Song", the last vocal track, is the best of the last four songs, and is perhaps the most lyrical. I believe that it is about Barrett; I can not think of anything else that it would be about. If that is true, then the lyrics "And I must go, be on my way / Let me go, I cannot stay / Let me go, I must not stay" is Wright expressing his desire to leave the band, which is interesting. The flute solo is a nice touch. 8/10.

"Funky Deux" is my least favorite song here. I am not a fan of funk, and this song seems terribly out of place. The solos are topnotch, but the beat ruins this for me. It may have fit better in the middle, but it is a bad choice for a closer. 6/10.

<i>Wet Dream</i> definitely contrasts with Wright's second album, <i>Broken China</i>, musically and lyrically. It is not a concept album and seems as if it would fit in between <i>Atom Heart Mother</i> and <i>Meddle</i>. It is perfect for long trips and just relaxing to. I do not believe that it got the respect that it deserved. It is out of print, but can be purchased for $11.99 at http://www.fye.com/Wet-Dream-Front-Page ... ewprod.htm.

My overall score for <i>Wet Dream</i>: <b>9/10</b>.
lovescene4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by lovescene4 »

Thanks generalhooha (excellent name) for the great review... I've had this on vinyl for many years; now I'll give it a spin again. I recall the album has its own mood, slightly wistful and sad, yet relaxed, and with a sense of freedom and adventure.
alma
Hammer
Hammer

Post by alma »

I own a vinyl copy of the album as well and I like it very much. It's one of my 100 favourite albums although I couln't say whether it's on 31 or 57.
corie
Judge!
Judge!

Post by corie »

Ive never heard it maybee I'll pick up a copy...

what are the 100 im curious maybee start a post

top albums ?
conork
Embryo
Embryo

Wet Dream

Post by conork »

hi there, does anyone know any website, outside of the US, that sells the CD Wet Dream? Other than Amazon which is charging a small fortune. Unfortunately http://www.fye.com will not allow purchase to users outside the US

Thanks

conork
Vidar
Blade
Blade

Post by Vidar »

Incidently I was listening to Summer Elegy when I opened this thread.

I must agree with you...great album.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Wet Dream

Post by Syd'sSexy »

conork wrote:hi there, does anyone know any website, outside of the US, that sells the CD Wet Dream? Other than Amazon which is charging a small fortune. Unfortunately http://www.fye.com will not allow purchase to users outside the US

Thanks

conork
I have heard there are places to download it...*hides*....but I don't download music, so I don't know where, but you should check around, if you know what I mean. I paid a small fortune for my Wet Dream CD (nearly $60), and it was worth every penny!

Perhaps someone would be kind enough to pm you with the link?

*hint, hint*
conork
Embryo
Embryo

Wet Dream.

Post by conork »

Ironic, after years of seaching and then emailing you guys, I GOT it last night. from a site called http://www.rarevideostore.com and its on the way, CD version. it cost, including p.p CHF 22.00 (I'm in Switzerland) which is about STG 9.20 or US 18.15
Keith you may want to let others know? COULD NOT believe I got it at last and so cheap.

Conork
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Its good - probably his best effort
dale74
Axe
Axe

Re: My Review of Wet Dream

Post by dale74 »

I love this album. I bought it when it was first issued on disc back in the mid 90's. It still manages to find it's way into rotation in my cd player from time to time.

I never heard the Zee album--which I hear was a real stinker...and possibly it was not Rick's fault that it was. So I steer clear of that one.

Although Broken China is my favorite, Wet Dream is very different on it's own especially given the span of time between the two albums.

Rick's music is always tasteful, and melodic. There are many moments on Wet Dream that are satisfying. Some of the production could be better, but the songs are very strong and the execution of the songs and musicianship shows Rick is capable of releasing an album on his own without the Floyd with songs that stay with you.

The honesty and brilliance of Rick Wright as a composer and musician truly shine in a different light away from the Floyd.

Floyd fans usually choose Floyd albums over their solo albums, but I think Wet Dream stands as one of the strongest releases because it avoids all the flashiness and trendyness of the solo works of Gilmour and Waters that followed.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

I love Wet Dream too. Wonderful, sad, beautiful album. Personally I think every song on it is great, though my favourites would have to be Cat Cruise, Holiday, Waves and Pink's Song. I think Pink's Song is Rick Wright comparing himself and his situation to Syd's. Rick had been suffering depression and problems with drugs and was feeling increasingly alienated from Pink Floyd. I think he was saying, you let Syd go, now let me go. Just a thought. Anyway, it has always been one of my favourite albums, and pretty much my favourite solo album of any Floyd member. I'm really hoping he gets back to playing some more piano on his new album, instead of mostly synthesizers.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

I've read in some older Rick's interviews that Pink's Song is actually about a babysitter Rick and Juliette hired who later became their best friend. :? Apparently, a lot of people mistakingly associated the title of the song to the leading character in The Wall story, so Rick had to set that straight. Just what happened to that woman that she "had to leave", he did not clarify.
generalhooha
Blade
Blade
Location: Deep beneath the rolling waves, in labyrinths of coral caves.

Post by generalhooha »

Hudini wrote:I've read in some older Rick's interviews that Pink's Song is actually about a babysitter Rick and Juliette hired who later became their best friend. :?
That is the same as Gilmour saying that The Division Bell has nothing to do with his anger at Waters.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

generalhooha wrote:That is the same as Gilmour saying that The Division Bell has nothing to do with his anger at Waters.
It's a funny thing, but both Pink's Song and The Division Bell lyrics were co-written by the artists' wives. Do you think they know better to express their husbands' feelings? Or is it that their husbands know better what their wives intended to say with the lyrics?
ironbaden
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ironbaden »

No offence and I know I'm being really picky and I hate to even post this but...... you actually didn't give it a 9/10.....

If u add up your scores you gave it 74.5/100 to round it off 7.5/10 which I agree with.... I like the album.... :)