Steel Breeze

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
t_bone_frank
Embryo
Embryo

Steel Breeze

Post by t_bone_frank »

Having listened to & contemplated the lyric to Shine on You Crazy Diamond from time to time over the last 28 years, I am still none the wiser as to what Roger W is referring to in the phrase 'Steel Breeze'. It is obviously pivotal to the song's meaning as it is the only phrase repeated in each of the 3 verses (blown on the.../rode on the.../sail on the).
Can any of you Floyd gurus out there shed any light???

t-bone
SyladO
Axe
Axe

Post by SyladO »

There is an explaination of this is Vernon Finches "Pink Floyd Encyclopedia", but I forget it at the moment. I'll look it up for ya and let you know. Unless someone posts before me. :)
Piper
Knife
Knife

Post by Piper »

I don't think it's referring to anything really specific. 'Steel' I think was chosen because it connotes coldness, hardness, etc., the 'breeze' here is IMO like the flow of life, so I kind of put it together as referring to the cold, cruel life of a misunderstood rock star which Syd went through (same meaning as "the machine"). But that's just my interpretation tho. Remember a lyric does not have to have only one meaning.
SyladO
Axe
Axe

Post by SyladO »

Steel Breeze, as per Vernon Finche's "Pink Floyd Encyclopedia", refers to: "The metaphorical winds blowing in the early days of rock and roll that cut up Syd Barrett". That's just his take on it I'm sure, but there ya go.
Alternative 4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Alternative 4 »

Could it be in reference to the zippo he used on Intersteller Overdrive, it breezed up and down the strings, Syd seemed caught on this.
ObscuredEchoes
Judge!
Judge!

Post by ObscuredEchoes »

I can't quite figure out how to work these dang quote thingies, but Yeah! what Piper said- especially the last line...
I think we are all given the freedom to interpret it as we can apply it in our own lives; The lyrics and music are descriptive enough to create an emotional response in the listening audience. Where you take it from there is what makes it special to you.[/quote]