PF influenced by the Beatles?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

PF influenced by the Beatles?

Post by seamusz »

I think that it is very hard to miss the Beatles influence in the Syd Barrett era PF. I like the early PF a lot, but my question is how much influence did the Beatles have on the early Floyd and do you think it left when Syd left?
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

I honestly don't hear a Beatles influence in their music. Maybe the influence was in the production of the music and the experimentation in the studio. Most of those groups at the time were heavily influenced by American blues artists in some way. I wonder if The Beatles were influenced at all by The Pink Floyd; weren't they in the studio together during the recording of Sgt Pepper/Piper?.
Tinkerbell
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tinkerbell »

Yes, they were, and I read that while the Pink Floyd were amazed at what they were listening coming from the Beatles, The Beatles were very much in awe themselves, when they listened to what the Floyd was doing :lol:
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

I hear more of a Lennon influence, especially on Roger's writing/singing, esp. on Animals and TFC.
MikeWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by MikeWaters »

HA! Lennon's song writing was going downwards at an alarming pace, i dont think he couod make anything like animals or any other PF album. Havent you heard Beef Jerky?
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

MikeWaters wrote:HA! Lennon's song writing was going downwards at an alarming pace, i dont think he couod make anything like animals or any other PF album. Havent you heard Beef Jerky?
Careful!!!
Lennon was an increadible song writer/lyrisist. The fact that you didn't like his later stuff doesn't change the fact that his musical ability changed an entire generation. I agree with Pugs' comment. I would have to say that in my own opinion PATGOD has a serious resembelence to the current Beatles stuff at the time. But I also think that they didn't stick around that sound very long. I think that it was mostly a Syd thing. The more that I listen to PATGOD and SOS.... and Works for that matter... the more I have to say that Floyd quickly evolved into a completely different music style and form. The only thing that is the same is the expirimental feel of the music. (With a few exeptions on the before mentioned albums.)
white rabbit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by white rabbit »

i don't the beatles really influenced the floyd, and i don't think the floyd really influenced the beatles. i don't (personally) even see where someone could even think that was influence.
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

There's only one song that I think it was influencied by the beatles. It is Arnold Layne. It's very similar to some beatles' songs and arrangements.
Useful Idiot
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Useful Idiot »

The Gnome has always reminded me of The Beatles.
JML
Hammer
Hammer

Post by JML »

Hey! What post-Beatles-band was NOT influenced by The Beatles?! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

Besides what were mentioned above, I think Corporal Clegg is very Beatle'isc, or however you spell it. And probably more of a... oh you can do that in a studio? Type of inspiration. The expiremental aspect of it all, musically and drug wise. They both had that in common.
t_bone_frank
Embryo
Embryo

Post by t_bone_frank »

I agree about Corporal Clegg, indisputably a Beatles influenced song.
And surely the parallel between the false endings....instrumental noise of 'Bike' and 'Strawberry Fields' cannot be co-incidence when they were recorded in the same studios at the same time??

t-bone
gilmourISgod
Embryo
Embryo

Post by gilmourISgod »

i remember reading something about that Roger had said he wanted Dark Side to be more "dry" like Sgt. Pepper..... and my hero Dave said he wanted it to be more "colourful." Hmm who was right on that one?

its straight from memory, so the exact words (and even the album) might be off, but it shows that they DEFINITELY were influenced to some degree by the beatles.
white rabbit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by white rabbit »

i think darkside was more colourful than dry. i think the wall was dry, really i think that all of roger's later albums were "dry" sounding. but darkside was too, uhhhh surreal maybe? to be dry. it was warm sounding, whereas the wall was very cold. kinda the comparrison between wood and steel.